I'm not a "real" modeler - It just seems like I am....

Started by Craig Abrahamson · 47 · 5 years ago
  • Profile Photo
    Craig Abrahamson said 10 years, 4 months ago:

I say this because I don't fall into the category of a 'real' modeler from what I've seen over these past few years - at least in my estimation. Why? Because I could care less if the shape of this or that isn't "quite right" or the tires have the 'wrong' tread design or some part is a centimeter or two off. I've been modeling for 50 years and none of this mattered until fairly recently. I don't know exactly WHEN it changed, but apparently I didn't change WITH it. One could spend twice as much as the kit costs simply buying all these resin "corrections" and "improvements" and photo-etched add-on's (much of which are hidden once completed). I have an air brush, but couldn't tell ya the last time I used it. I've pretty much mastered the art of the rattle can over the last 25 years and can achieve the [read: MY] desired results satisfactorily. I remember when "after-market" meant a different decal sheet. Maybe it's just my generation that has this mindset or it could be just ME - but I'm willin' to bet there are others who feel exactly this way and are still "in the closet" - lol - and speaking of the closet, that's another thing I just don't get... why on earth have kits that number in the hundreds - many even duplicates - when you know damn well they'll never all get built? Seems like money down the drain to my way of thinking. I know - some folks collect baseball cards, stamps, coins, etc - and some collect model kits I suppose. Well...that's my "editorial" for the day. I'd like to hear YOUR views - pro or con. Thanks.

• Profile Photo
    Simon Whitney said 10 years, 4 months ago:

I am with you on this one Craig.

Since getting back into this hobby, I have noticed so much aftermarket stuff , it`s just unreal. I sometimes think is it one upmanship or the ethos of adding A/M stuff just for the hell of it.

I build models for the FUN of it, I find it relaxing and also produtive when you consider the alternatives.

As for the price issue, you buy a kit and then splash out for the A/M goodies you out lay can double or even treble.

For those people who want to do this thats fine, but I for one just stick to what I can afford.

And if people are condemning kits for being the wrong shape or size then why don`t they get onto the kits manufacturer instead of bleating all over the press and forums!.

• Profile Photo
    Jeff Brundt said 10 years, 4 months ago:

Loaded topic for sure.

Modeling is what you make of it. No more, no less. As with any other hobby or pastime. You see the very sort of thing you describe with any other hobby activity today.

I see the attitude of "well, you're not a real (insert your favorite hobby here) unless you do (this) or (that) and no one can take you seriously" with R/C, model railroading, shooting, rocketry or whatever. ( I happened to list other hobbies I'm active in) EVERY (and I mean EVERY) activity has its self-appointed experts on what they think the ideal participant should be like and what sort of behaviors they should exhibit.

I really think the increased proliferation of the internet has fostered this outlook. The web has the ability to make anyone an 'exspurt' and provide them with a platform to make their proclamations from. I have also seen whereby if you are seen as a 'casual modeler' you are literally shouted down and browbeat by the vocal few who sometimes take their hobby waayyyy to seriously. Perhaps it's the feeling of anonymity by hiding behind a monitor screen or lack of social skills, a superiority complex or just a bully attitude. I'm not sure but in the past 10 years it's got more and more pervasive. There is a constant NEED for some folks to make sure others know that they are ALWAYS correct and that THEIR word is gospel and that THEIRS is the only true path to enlightenment.

There's room enough for everyone in what we do. Unfortunately not everyone feels that way and that's a shame. I'm glad there are 'rivet counters' and hyper-enthusiastic subject matter experts and aftermarket resin/decal/PE makers. In the end however, it's my choice what I want to do with my model and how I build it. Does that make me less of a modeler? No. But the sad fact is there are those out there, in this and every other hobby, that feel you need to conform to their ideal of what a real 'modeler' is.

As far as 'kit collecting' that's really an individuals choice. I know I'm guilty of it. But I do it more from experience that if I don't get a certain kit I want now it may not be available later. Will I be able to build all I have in my stash? Not a chance. But I also have a crapload of RC planes and model railroad stuff in my stash that I know I won't get to either. I know other guys that collect guns or ammunition like there's no tomorrow but that's them. I don't judge them for what they do. Their money, their choice.

And finally, I don't know of ANY kit maker that has ever made 'the perfect kit' that doesn't have some sort of problem or issue. I have issue with the price I may have to pay for the level of quality I receive. But I have that expectation with anything that I buy, from toaster ovens to large screen TV's to automobiles. So I read reviews, consult my pocketbook and then make a decision. Once again a personal choice. But sadly there are those out there who want to make the choice for me because THEY don't feel I'm a competent enough modeler to do so and THEY need to shout it at me over and over and over and over until I capitulate and tell them just how awesome they are for making the hard decisions for me in my life. No, I don't think so...thank you very much.

The late Al Superczynski said it best; "It's YOUR model, build it the way YOU want." Wise words that only a few in our community cannot seem to grasp.

• Profile Photo
    Joe Caputo said 10 years, 4 months ago:

Thanks, Jeff. I concure..

• Profile Photo
    Joe Caputo said 10 years, 4 months ago:

Craig, I know I'm a modeler, but after serious consideration, I think I'd rather drink beer and procrastinate . That seems to be the latest extension of my hobby, and is much less expensive (and rewarding) than aftermarket parts, or today's kits. Remember the bottom line, at any level, is supposed to be FUN.

• Profile Photo
    Chris Sakowski said 10 years, 4 months ago:

Craig, I'm with you...there have been many times where I have posted pics on "The Other Forum" and been blasted because of this or that being wrong...your right they should go after the manufacturer...If you are using the parts you have then whats wrong with that...this hobby is expensive enough without having to shell out more money to try and please people who wont even see your work unless you post it or take it to a show...I've always said my kits are never good enough to take to a show so I only post pics on the forums or my website using the 10 foot rule, "if it looks good from 10 feet away, then its good"...

I do use some aftermarket, mainly decals because the kit decals are usually crappy or just not the one I want to model...So with that being said I can now start to enjoy the hobby again and start building...I have a 1/48 Blue Angels collection and Thunderbirds collection to build and I know some of the markings may be a bit off but SO WHAT...I'll have fun building it anyway, that IS the point of the hobby right?

So, I too will be "coming out" so to speak and building it how I want it to look...

Thank you Craig for encouraging me to come out...

• Profile Photo
    Larry J. Allen said 10 years, 4 months ago:

I don't know what it takes to be a real modeler, and I'm not worried about it. I assemble kits, build and produce models and enjoy most of the process. I get frustrated at times but always get back to it. I started modeling again 8 years ago, and quickly found the internet and the various forums. Some individuals are 'off putting', but I don't have to read their postings. I have never purchased any aftermarket items for a kit; the only PE, resin, or aftermarket decals I have used either came with the kit or were given to me with a kit, or in a swap. The only contests I have entered were as a member of a group build, and my contributions probably kept our group from winning. Some of the best relationships I have ever had were developed through this hobby, either via the internet or upon joining a model builders club that meets 82.3 miles from here. I enjoy this, sharing my efforts with friends and acquaintances, and realize that I will never be described as a great modeler. I do ascribe to the concept that 'beauty is in the eye of the beholder', and every model I have done has won best of show since my wife has judged each and every one of them as 'that's beautiful'.

I agree with all the prior comments on this topic, especially regarding the beer.

Ignore the naysayers, enjoy the journey. There are plenty of folks here who will help you with the enjoyment and not try to bring you down. Put what you want in your builds, be it OOB, aftermarket or scratched out of beer cans, baling wire and chewing gum [can be shaped/molded into seat cushions].

• Profile Photo
    Michael Wayne Knowles said 10 years, 4 months ago:

You said it Craig. I would like to ride your coattails.

I confess that I have been bitten by the after market bug in ships, but aircraft and armor I try to resist. Even then I sometimes slip... Am I a modeler? I don't know, but I long for the day of out of the box and a sanding block.

Thanks for the courage to post.

Mike

• Profile Photo
    Andrew Wainwright said 10 years, 4 months ago:

OMG! Craig DO NOT blaspheme thou shalt make ALL corrections to fatally flawed kit or not build at all 😉

Only kidding guys, Craig like we have always said its only a hobby and its supposed to be fun at the end of the day too! how far do we need to go? it can be super accurate in shape but it still don't have a working engine, hydraulics, cooling system etc etc IT IS A MODEL end of.

And yes you would have been crucified then hung, drawn and quartered over on another certain site we frequent lol

• Profile Photo
    Seamus Boughe said 10 years, 4 months ago:

I am making no apologies here for the fact that I use aftermarket goodies. I scratch build a lot of detail also, but I admit, there are some things which I cannot reproduce and therefore the need for aftermarket comes into play. I do not use a lot of it though and I sure as hell am not going to spend thirty, forty, or fifty dollars on something that costs about five dollars to manufacture, just to impress some rivet counters. I am a pretty nice guy but I do not suffer fools gladly. Most of these so-called real modelers, master modelers, model experts, and rivet counters are just that, fools! I have told some of these real modelers to their faces (and sometimes in front of their devotees) what I thought about them. Believe me, I am not exactly politically correct in my expression either. Think of five of the most well known "Real Modelers" in this hobby and I can guarantee I have personally told off at least three of them. So whats the point? These so called "Real Modelers" build as well as they do because, more times than most, that is all they have. They may be great modelers with a vast knowledge of certain vehicles and aircraft, but you gotta ask, when was the last time they got laid? That's what it all comes down to really, great modeler, empty person. Is that really the kind of person you feel the need to impress with your build or apologize to for it's shortcomings. I said it before and I'll say it again, they only person you need to impress is you but never at the cost of the fun this hobby of ours brings. I have a lot of fun building models. I also have a lot of fun raising my daughter, drinking whiskey, and taking a roll in the clover with my wife. Nuff said.

Anyway, all the aftermarket stuff in the world does not a great model make. It is about assembly and finish. I have seen many OOB builds that made my jaw drop. I have seen an equal amount of builds with all kinds of aftermarket detail put on/in it that looked like 10lbs of horse shite in a five pound bag.

I couldn't give two rusty fks in a rolling doughnut whether I am thought of as a good modeler/real modeler or not. Is taking the "Best of Show" award at some modeling competition the same as winning a Heisman trophy? I have seen a lot of modelers who think so, and the way they conduct themselves would be greatly amusing if it were not so fking pathetic. Its a wooden plaque and five minutes of fame that is forgotten about five minutes later and all for putting together a plastic toy.

Build because it is fun. Build because it is relaxing. Build because it gets your creative juices going, build because it is your art. I could list one thousand reasons to indulge in the hobby of scale modeling, but building to impress others is not one of them.

Aftermarket use or not, enjoy your builds and enjoy your hobby and do not forget to have a drink or a roll in the heather once in a while too.

• Profile Photo
    Craig Abrahamson said 10 years, 4 months ago:

You certainly have a way with the written word, my friend. I really enjoyed reading your response. I'll have to show it to the wife and see if HER "creative juices" get to flowing. 🙁

• Profile Photo
    Seamus Boughe said 10 years, 4 months ago:

Well Craig, feel free to show your wife my response, but chocolate works a helluva lot better.

• Profile Photo
    Bill Bailey said 10 years, 4 months ago:

I pretty much have to agree with the general consensus here.

Lately I've grown tired of the accuracy police and have decided to take it back to an early time in my modeling past.

I'm getting into more "What If" type modeling.

What If air racers, and air tankers, that sort of thing.

What If the Nazis had not been such a bad bunch and developed the same airplanes, but used in a different way ?

What if someone ran a P-47 or Spiteful or ? at Reno ?

What If I actually quit procrastinating and BUILT something (naw, that one's probably TOO far fetched).

But you get my drift.

Enough of the YOU GOT IT WRONG crowd.

It's MY hobby, you don't like the way I did something, get off yer butt and build a better one !

• Profile Photo
    neil foster said 10 years, 4 months ago:

I have to agree with you Seamus , I have since found myself without a club to go to because the club secretary is a sad no life tosser who still lives with his mam even though he is in 50's , this rivet counter has nothing else in his life...and what was the cause of his outrage ? I wanted to show my Finemolds X Wing at Telford but apparently Sci Fi didn't fit the look of our club stand ,it doesn't matter that the hobby in the U.K. is popular with an increasingly older agegroup who just want to see row after row of virtually identical Spitfires, 109's and 190's , I wanted to get the interest of the kids who come to the shows with dad or granddad...

N.

• Profile Photo
    AL HOFFMAN said 10 years, 4 months ago:

Craig I've been at it as long as you. I can remember building in '56 & found a Lindberg Cutlass that I don't remember building at my Grandmother's house after she passed so I guess I'm qualified to have an opinion.

I've been primarily a car builder through the years but don't finish a lot. My enjoyment comes from figuring out the engineering required to either make modifications or correct kit errors & blemishes no matter what I'm working on. I could probably find something I wanted to correct with the perfect kit if such a thing existed. The more fatal flaws the better. I buy aftermarket items & then don't use them. I'm sure I'm not the only one who has bought aftermarket accessories then had to go out & buy the kit. Once it's time to paint I seem to lose interest & start thinking about the next challenge. I feel I'm reasonably competent with an airbrush but just lose interest when I get to that stage.

I will definitely admit to having AMS.

Does this make me any less of a modeler. I don't think so. Any hobby is what you make of it whether you study reference material,collect kits, build or just go to meetings & talk models.

As far as collecting kits I'm guilty as charged. I enjoy looking at kits in their boxes, especially the car kits from back in the '60's when manufacturers were still using pure colored plastic.

Enough of my rambling. Some day I'll post my tribute to the rivet counters of the world. I did this to annoy my fellow IPMS members. Mission accomplished.