Photoetch questions

Started by Jaime Carreon · 7 · 5 years ago
  • Profile Photo
    Jaime Carreon said 5 years, 7 months ago:

While this is not my favorite modeling medium, I decided to bite the bullet and add a photoetch cockpit to the Hasegawa P2V I'm building. I've read some of the tutorials online, but have never done PE on this scale, so I'd like to post some questions about this here. So please forgive my ignorance!

1. The instrument panel is in two parts, a backing and the the part of the panel that will actually be seen. What type of adhesive is used to secure the pieces together? And then what is used to glue the photoetch panel to the kit part?

2. The P2V's throttles are in a quadrant attached to the ceiling, which is part of the canopy. Once folded, the PE quadrant is glued to the inside of the canopy, but there is not much surface to glue to, so what can I use to hold that in place without damaging the clear canopy? Does anyone place some kind of doubler or backing in quadrants like that to have something to glue to?

3. And last - what do you use to cut the parts from the "sprues"?

Thanks in advance for the help. Looking forward to the answers...

• Profile Photo
    Adolfo Coelho said 5 years, 7 months ago:

Jaime (@jetmex)

I've never used photoetch parts, so have no personal experience whatsoever with this. From posts I've read here I'm sure other members will be able to supply more info and help you with this.

Anyway, I recently watched this video about the subject of photoetched parts, that maybe will be of some help to you:

Cheers!

Dolf

• Profile Photo
    david leigh-smith said 5 years, 7 months ago:

Hi Jaime,

1. For photoetch I always use Flexy 5k CA glue. Tiniest drop does the trick.

2. If you have varnished the clear part already then Flexy (above) is fine and doesn’t fog. The only thing you use to fix to an unvarnished canopy is white wood glue or even use a dab of fture (ask me how I know these things...). Wood glue will hold UNLESS you start running around the room with your build making aircraft noises (again ask how I know...)

3. A brand new blade (has to be new - you can keep one specially) on the exacto knife does the trick but you have to get in really close to the part and cut it leaning on something hard so there’s no ‘give’.

• Profile Photo
    Paolo Ruffato said 5 years, 7 months ago:

Well, first thing, sorry for my english.

Then, about point 1, with a glue cyanoacrylate, in Italy we call it Attak, you can fix both parts.

If one of the parts of the panel is in clear plastic, you can fix it to PE with vinyl glue, like the glue for wood.

At the same time, for the second point, you can use vinyl glue to hold to the canopy. You can put a lot of glue because the glue will become totally clear.

You can use Microscale Clear instead of vinyl glue.

The video is too close for PE for trains, and I love it too...

I have less and less time than I would like.

I hope to have been clear.

Bye

Paolo

• Profile Photo
    Craig Abrahamson said 5 years, 7 months ago:

I think David's answers will do the trick - I used the same methods - they work.

• Profile Photo
    Pedro L. Rocha said 5 years, 7 months ago:

I can also suggest plain white glue to bond the backing, wich is normally clear plastic with instrument dials, to the PE front of the IP. The bond is strong enough to handle the part with confidence and avoids the problem of getting CA glue accidentally covering those dials. The white glue also has the advantage to produce a glass like effect when it dries, so those dials will have an even better look. To glue the whole part to the plastic then CA is the option.

As for the problem of getting PE parts directly over clear parts, do not use CA ever. Again try white glue but avoid further handling of the part because the bond isn’t that strong, but it is enough to mantain the PE part stucked to that canopie. Hope this helps

• Profile Photo
    Allan J Withers said 5 years, 7 months ago:

Jaime, I don't use a lot of PE but I use CA or solder to attach one piece to another, Future to attach it to instruments and canopies and or PVA, CA to other things !