Survivors. My oldest built model.

Started by · 13 · 6 years ago
  • Profile Photo
    said 6 years, 2 months ago:

I believe this to be around 43 years old. Its recently lost its antenna when it was loaned to a scout group to encourage some to give it a try. I will make one up from plastic card.

• Profile Photo
    Michel Verschuere said 6 years, 2 months ago:

Gosh, it's older than me... Very nice indeed, what paint you used then Anthony?

• Profile Photo

Its an old 72 scale mk ix spitfire from Airfix. Here is a slightly younger survivor. An Airfix Vulcan though its not a depiction of a particular aircraft. I just liked the scheme. This is over 25 years old. Both these models brush painted . I brush painted the Vulcan freehand. My hands are not so steady these days. These kits have seen a fair bit of damage over the years and have been repaired many times.

• Profile Photo

Hi Michel its humbrol or in those days perhaps airfix enamels.

• Profile Photo

And lastly a rather old unfinished example of testors 1/48 SR 71 Unfinished due to the really poor decals. Ive never gotten round to finding a good aftermarket set. Again around 25 years old or perhaps a little older. Again this old model has been repaired more times than i can count.

• Profile Photo
    david leigh-smith said 6 years, 2 months ago:

I think this is amazing, Anthony.
    How many guys can hold on to a wife for 43 years?
    Many people don't even reach 43 years old.
    When this was built, we had no internet,
    Jaws was breaking cinema records,
    Muhammad Ali was wold champion,
    The world population was only 4 billion,
    ...but the models were mainly rubbish.
    I am amazed you still have this spitfire. Well done to young Anthony and thanks to the 2018 version for sharing this.

• Profile Photo

Thanks David. I wasn't ever going to post them but as my builds take so long these days i thought i would.

• Profile Photo
    Robert Royes said 6 years, 2 months ago:

Great stuff! nice blast from the past.

• Profile Photo

Cheers Robert.

• Profile Photo

I always toyed with idea of doing a diorama of the Vulcan that's underwater from the Bond movie Thunderball.

• Profile Photo

If I may, my oldest build or what's left of it, Revell's B-52 and X-15, minus the B-52, built so many years ago.

1 attached image. Click to enlarge.

• Profile Photo

Good stuff Robert. I have an X 15 in my stash. Hope to get to it sometime. Cheers buddy.

• Profile Photo

Heres my old B 52