Academy Plastic Model kit 1/48 USN F-4J VF-84 Jolly Rogers

Started by Thomas Sweeney · 23 · 7 years ago
  • Profile Photo
    Thomas Sweeney said 8 years, 1 month ago:

This is my entry for the group build.this is only the second aircraft that
    i am going to try to build so if any of you can give me any advice,I would really appriciate it

Tom

• Profile Photo
    Morne Meyer said 8 years, 1 month ago:

Tom I am sure your model is going to look great. I am building an F 4B from VF 84's Vietnam '65 cruise. These aircraft were relatively clean so subtle weathering is called for. Good luck!

• Profile Photo
    Greg Kittinger said 8 years, 1 month ago:

My advice - HAVE FUN! As Morne suggested, especially for a second aircraft, go for subtle on the weathering - better to err on that side in my opinion.

• Profile Photo
    Rob Anderson said 8 years, 1 month ago:

Well the Academy kit is a great choice, there are several build articles on the net that point out the one or two small things to watch for during assembly, not a shake and bake kit, but pretty user friendly. And Greg is right USN Phantoms (and most USN aircraft, even modern tactical grey ones) rarely showed the type of weathering you sometimes see on the net. Despite the harsh environment they were well maintained and because of the harsh environment, were and are constantly cleaned.

• Profile Photo
    Thomas Sweeney said 8 years, 1 month ago:

Gentlemen Thanks for the heads up on this model I'll give it my best and see what occurs

Tom

• Profile Photo
    Morne Meyer said 8 years, 1 month ago:

Hi Thomas. I am also going to build an F4 from VF 84. Most Navy F4's from VF 84's 1965 cruise to Vietnam seem to have only subtle weathering topside. The exhaust and underside should have some weathering like hydraulic staining etc.

1 attached image. Click to enlarge.

• Profile Photo
    Robert Royes said 8 years, 1 month ago:

I think the gull gray was flat finish and the underside white was gloss in those days. Maybe someone else could verify that. In my day it was all gloss [ before low visibility schemes]

• Profile Photo
    Bernd Müller said 8 years, 1 month ago:

Great choice, the Academy F-4 kits are a joy to build.

• Profile Photo
    Thomas Sweeney said 8 years ago:

This model is no joy to build. so putting it aside for a break I decided to work on the flight deck vehicles so here they are

Thanks for looking

Tom

11 attached images. Click to enlarge.

• Profile Photo
    Craig Abrahamson said 8 years ago:

Despite varying opinions, I agree that kit is "no joy" to assemble. The landing gear can be a PITA and my beautifully embellished PE cockpit wouldn't fit as advertised.
    I've struggled through two of 'em and there won't be a third. 🙁

• Profile Photo
    Bernard E. Hackett, Jr. said 8 years ago:

Tom, are those the skunkworks flightdeck vehicles? I know Verlinden had some resin ones, some time back.
    Nice shot of that VF-84, a favorite F4 scheme of mine. Jolly Rogers! Them and the Sundowners. Oh, yeah!
    Good idea to take a break, rather than risk the "Up against the wall" or frisbee into the circular file.
    Good luck, I'm pullin' for you!

• Profile Photo
    Morne Meyer said 8 years ago:

Don't despair Tom. Hang in. I am sure that F4 is going to look awesome next to the flightdeck vehicles! I think the Academy kit needs a lot of dry fitting before assembly. I am hoping and preying that the beautiful Aires cockpit is going to fit into mine without a hitch. Would hate to ruin it. Good luck with your build!

• Profile Photo
    Greg Kittinger said 8 years ago:

Hang in there! Always seems to be worth it in the end - just a modeling challenge to be overcome!

• Profile Photo
    Bernard E. Hackett, Jr. said 8 years ago:

Morne, get out the Dremel and the BIG hammer! Brute force! Arrrgh!

• Profile Photo
    Thomas Sweeney said 7 years, 12 months ago:

I have a question Was the F-4C Phantom a land or carrier aircraft?

Tom