B of F Academy 1/48th P-36/H75A

Started by AL HOFFMAN · 28 · 9 years ago · Battle of France Group Build
  • Profile Photo
    AL HOFFMAN said 9 years, 9 months ago:

This is my first build for the new Group. Hopefully there will be at least one more.

It is a P-36 in French markings making it a H75A-1 if I'm noy mistaking. Pretty basic kit. Going to try to do it OOB as much as possible. Going to need to do something about the wheelwells. There is nothing except holes for the gauges. Also not too proud of the engine but at least there are two banks & a little cooling fin detail. Could probably use P-40 detail kits but I'm going to scratch as much as possible. Probably A/M belts and gauge decals. Here's hoping the kit decals are useable

6 attached images. Click to enlarge.

• Profile Photo
    Gregor d said 9 years, 9 months ago:

Nice choice Al. I've got one of these somewhere!

• Profile Photo
    Seamus Boughe said 9 years, 9 months ago:

Excellent choice Al. This particular kit has been re-boxed many times. I have seen quite a few built up and they always look nice. I would not worry about the wheel wells too much except for making the round portion a bit deeper. As far as the engine is concerned, maybe a bit of wiring and a good paint/wash job. I doubt you will see much of it once it is enclosed within the cowling.

• Profile Photo
    Rick Wilkes said 9 years, 9 months ago:

Al, one thing I remember (or think I remember), is that you have to capture the engine inside the cowling, because it won't fit through from the back due to the shape, kind off an oval I think. I can't check because it got launched across the basement when the decals failed to cooperate.

• Profile Photo
    AL HOFFMAN said 9 years, 9 months ago:

Nice to know about the cowling. Thanks for the tip.

• Profile Photo
    AL HOFFMAN said 9 years, 8 months ago:

Actually I have been making progress on this even though I broke my own rule for the build & got an AML detail set. I got a resin set of wheel boxes but after spending about 45 minutes carefully sawing off the pour blocks I realized the set had two wheel wells of the same side so I'm using the PE wheel boxes from the AML set.

It seems like every reference I've seen on the P36/H75 has a different opinion on cockpit & wheel house colors so I'm just going to do it the way I want.

Hope to have some update pictures soon.

• Profile Photo
    Bill Koppos said 9 years, 8 months ago:

Al have a look here, it's restored bird but other research says interior green too...
    http://www.aircraftwalkarounds.be/Images/CurtisHawk75Part2CockpitIn/index.html

• Profile Photo
    AL HOFFMAN said 9 years, 8 months ago:

Many thanks Bill. I'd seen info on this restoration but not this walk around. Really helps. I know he did his paintwork per Curtis's painting instructions but I still have some doubts. I am shooting the primary cockpit green & leaving the seat natural aluminum but I question the aluminum on the seat base & also the upper bar. Also question whether or not the electrical devices on the side walls were protected like his.

The under carriage group answers a question on inner door color & well color. I can see a slight difference between the strut & inner door color so I'm assuming the struts were painted gray.

The nice thing is these color combinations exist so I can't go wrong.

Thanks again.

• Profile Photo
    Editor said 9 years, 8 months ago:

Al,

looking forward to see your progress on this one. Nice to see French subjects in this group, and IMHO the P-36 is a looker.

• Profile Photo
    AL HOFFMAN said 9 years, 6 months ago:

I guess it's time to put the push on this one. I couldn't control my AMS & had to get some A/M pieces. It is primarily an AML set but I decided to use a Quickboost engine & Masters 30 mm wing guns. This is where I'm at now:

I have a way to go.

• Profile Photo
    Bernd Müller said 9 years, 6 months ago:

Thats pretty amazing Al, a good start, got this one in my stash too. The last time i surfed on Hannants, i foud french marking decals, i won t trust the kit ones too much.
    Keep up the good work, the instrument panel and the side walls are looking great !

All the Best

Bernd

• Profile Photo
    AL HOFFMAN said 9 years, 6 months ago:

Bernd, I have AML SHEET #48003 for Czech pilots. It looks good at this point but haven't used AML decals before so don't know about usability yet.

• Profile Photo
    Bernd Müller said 9 years, 6 months ago:

Yes it was AML, was not too sure yesterday, i am looking forward to your build and decals, or how they perform. Still i can t choose between a french or a finnish airforce Hawk. A really cool fighter in every colors.
    Keep up the good work, Al 🙂

Bernd

• Profile Photo
    Rick Wilkes said 9 years, 6 months ago:

Got to see this up close today, I think we're are all in for a treat when Al gets it finished.

• Profile Photo
    Gregor d said 9 years, 6 months ago:

Great work Al. That instrument panel looks great!