Battle of France Group Build - French Battle Tank B1 bis

Started by George Williams · 26 · 9 years ago · 1/35, B1 bis, Tamiya
  • Profile Photo
    George Williams said 9 years, 9 months ago:

The postman's been, and I can start now. I've attached a picture of the box art,

typical Tamiya. The kit is moulded in a sandy colour and also includes a metal tow chain, and clip together track links and one crew member. You also get a very nice colour painting chart showing the various camouflage schemes, and a detailed history of the battle for Stonne.

• Profile Photo
    AL HOFFMAN said 9 years, 9 months ago:

You should have fun with this one George.

• Profile Photo
    Seamus Boughe said 9 years, 9 months ago:

Excellent choice of subject and kit. Get 'er done boy-o!

• Profile Photo
    Gregor d said 9 years, 9 months ago:

Like it George, i'll be watching your progress with interest.

• Profile Photo
    neil foster said 9 years, 9 months ago:

That's in interesting choice George, looking forward to seeing it .
    N.

• Profile Photo
    Rick Wilkes said 9 years, 9 months ago:

Good choice George, looking forward to following your build.

• Profile Photo
    John Healy said 9 years, 9 months ago:

Can't wait to see this started! I build about one tank per decade and that one's been calling me.

• Profile Photo
    George Williams said 9 years, 8 months ago:

So, on with the build. The first step is to add all the road wheels

, as these are going to be covered up I sprayed them dark green . The next picture shows the bottom half of the superstructure , and a sideways view . The main superstructure goes together without any problems , and now you can't see the road wheels! I'm planning to leave the door open on the RH side , there's not much detail to be seen inside the tank, but the inside of the door is nicely moulded and will add interest.

Thanks for looking.

• Profile Photo
    AL HOFFMAN said 9 years, 8 months ago:

It's always been difficult for me to get by the tediousness of road wheels & what you building would drive me nuts. The nice thing is you don't need to worry about the suspension too much.

• Profile Photo

Here are some pictures of the model virtually completed (obviously the tracks, the commander figure, and some small details are still to be fitted) with a preliminary coat of Tamiya's white primer, prior to starting the camouflage (the part of the build I'm most dreading). Here's a view of the front

, the LH side , the rear , and the RH side, note the crew's door is temporarily fixed shut .
    Thanks again for looking.

• Profile Photo
    Rick Wilkes said 9 years, 8 months ago:

Well done George, looking forward to seeing some in progress pictures of the paint job. I don't know which paint scheme you'll be doing, but if it's hard edge like the box art, I would look at using liquid mask, or copy the patterns on tape.

• Profile Photo

Thanks for that tip, Rick, I think I'll be using tape, although I'm not sure how I'll be tackling the top surface which has details like the exhaust system yet.

• Profile Photo
    Rick Wilkes said 9 years, 8 months ago:

Hi George, I see what you mean about the top. Maybe a combination of tape and masking fluid, or if you're airbrushing maybe the wet(damp) newsprint technique, like I've seen used on metalizers. If you're like me, leave it alone for a couple of days and a solution will probably come to you. Hopefully unlike me your first solution will work... 😉

• Profile Photo
    Gregor d said 9 years, 8 months ago:

Nice looking tank George. I look forward to the painting stages.

• Profile Photo
    AL HOFFMAN said 9 years, 8 months ago:

Thought you painted everything red George. Well maybe not this
    When I'm trying to get a continuous line on multiple surfaces I'll mask with individual pieces of tape on the different surface angles & then seal the connecting seams with masking fluid. I then seal all the edges where the next color will stop with Future to try to prevent the new paint from bleeding under the mask. It can be tedious but it might work for you too.