BoF/BoB Group Build Part 6- Its The Pits.

Started by Seamus Boughe · 5 · 9 years ago
  • Profile Photo
    Seamus Boughe said 9 years, 6 months ago:

I was perusing the vendors at a local scale model show/competition some years back when I came across a vendor advertising rare and/or OOP kits and accessories. Being a bit of a collector (aren't we all at some level?) I decided to give this particular vendor the once over twice. While looking through a box of resin aircraft accessories, I came across a 1/32 resin Hawker Hurricane cockpit for the Revell kit manufactured by MDC. I believe the asking price was either $10 or $15. Well, at the time, I did not build 1/32 nor did I have the Revell 1/32 Hawker Hurricane kit, but I bought the cockpit anyway because I could never pass up a bargain. The cockpit sat in my spares box for the longest time until I decided to do this project.

So, what did I get for my $10/$15? I got twenty-one resin parts that were warped and a few of them were broken. Rather than trying to scratch build a Hurricane cockpit, I decided to work with the MDC resin. Most of the frame parts were set straight by dipping in hot water and bending to shape. Not exactly 100% straight, but close enough. Other parts had to have a piece of brass or stock plastic glued to them in order to get them straight. All parts were further detailed where needed. MDC does not include a rear bulkhead, nor instructions in how to make one, so I just modified the kit part. MDC does not included a port sidewall either and this had to be scratch-built.

All in all, I am happy with the cockpit so far, even though a lot of it will no longer be viewable once the fuselage halves have been closed.

21 attached images. Click to enlarge.

• Profile Photo
    Rick Wilkes said 9 years, 6 months ago:

Great job rescuing that MDC set Seamus. Really looking forward to seeing your Hurricane when it's done.

• Profile Photo
    AL HOFFMAN said 9 years, 6 months ago:

You never know when the ball will be in play do you? I feel sure that those of us who see or pick up an item & go to the " someday" mode is what keeps our hobby rolling.
    Did the set include gauge decals?

• Profile Photo
    George Williams said 9 years, 6 months ago:

'Putting the cart before the horse' springs to mind, Seamus, but great job, it's a shame it will be covered up on the finished model.

• Profile Photo
    Gregor d said 9 years, 6 months ago:

Thats some fine work there Seamus keep it going!