BoF/BoB Group Build Part 9- I Can See Clearly Now Or Setting My Sites.

Started by Seamus Boughe · 5 · 9 years ago
  • Profile Photo
    Seamus Boughe said 9 years, 1 month ago:

Before I can start laying down paint on my "Hurc", I had to tie up a few loose ends. For a kit that was manufactured in 1969 or so, I was quite surprised at how clear the clear parts were. I figured just a little "Future" dip and all would be golden. That was until a closer inspection of the windscreen which had two molded on locating pins. Not only would these pins be quite noticeable on the finished model, they also marred the sides of the windscreen. They were carefully cut off an then all was sanded level using progressively finer grits of sandpaper. At around 2000 grit, I gave the windscreen a rubbing with Tamiya "Fine" plastic polish, a dip in some Future, and voila! A very clear windscreen. At this time I also decided to add some handles to the sliding portion of the canopy and add a little detail to the rear view mirror.

As mentioned, I am using an OOP Model Design Construction Hurricane cockpit. The cockpit came with a very nice gun site but with no parts or directions on how to mount it. A check of the references, a piece of photo etch and plastic rod, and I had a 90% accurate mount. I made a circle of copper wire and attached it to the site to make a frame for an early round reticle. The lens will be added after painting and will be made from Testors clear parts and small window making cement.

While looking at photographs of actual Hurricanes, I noticed that the radial rod doors are either connected to or butt up against the main gear doors when the landing gear is down. Either/or this was not the case on the Revell kit where there was quite a gap between the two doors. A bit of plastic from an old "Shurtzen" hanger, some sanding and polishing, and the doors look close enough for government work.

Hopefully I can start the painting process soon.

25 attached images. Click to enlarge.

• Profile Photo
    Simon Whitney said 9 years, 1 month ago:

Seamus, wonderful work mate.
    Nice save on the canopy.

• Profile Photo
    Gregor d said 9 years, 1 month ago:

More tasty details added there Seamus. Looking really good.

• Profile Photo
    Rick Wilkes said 9 years, 1 month ago:

Great work on the windscreen and the gunsight, Seamus

• Profile Photo
    Seamus Boughe said 9 years, 1 month ago:

One thing about making a silk purse from a sow's ear is attention to the small details, especially adding the ones the newer and supposedly better kits do not have.