C-47

Started by Josh Patterson · 5 · 9 years ago
  • Profile Photo
    Josh Patterson said 9 years, 11 months ago:

Getting close on the C-47. I opted out of using the decals in the kit, choosing instead to paint the invasion stripes on. I painted them first because I didn't want them weathered like the rest of the plane will be, as the paint was newer than the rest of the airframe. Now it's time for a silver base coat, pre-shading, top coat and weathering. It should look plenty beat up when finished.

3 attached images. Click to enlarge.

• Profile Photo
    neil foster said 9 years, 11 months ago:

Nice work so far Josh.
    N.

• Profile Photo

Didn't want all the overspray from a spray can, but every time I airbrush flat white and then mask it, it invariably lifts when I remove the masking. Don't know why that particular color, but it's the only one I have that problem with!

• Profile Photo
    AL HOFFMAN said 9 years, 11 months ago:

What you have done so far looks great.

If you are shooting acrylics on bare plastic that might be your problem with white. I have gotten in the habit of taking the gloss off the plastic before painting with fine steel wool.This puts almost microscopic scratches in the surface. Then I use a surface cleaner on it. After that I shoot it with a non-acrylic primer before any color coats. One other thing I do is stick the tape to the palm of my hand two or three times before the model.

If you are having this problem using enamels It could be a slick plastic surface & your white going on too dry to bite the plastic

surface.

Hope this helps

• Profile Photo

I'm using enamels, and it's only flat white I have a problem with. Gloss doesn't do it to me, nor do any other colors I've used. I don't thin it any different or anything. A little roughing up of the surface sounds like a good idea, because I generally paint right on bare plastic. (I was able to paint my Gee Bee without and primer or surface prep. No lifting paint. That's why I can't figure out what's happening!) I really should do the tape trick to get the lint off the plastic though. It does build up a ton of dust attracting static when sanding or more specifically polishing it!