D-Day build - 1/48 M4A1

Started by Dmitry Stropalov · 34 · 10 years ago · 1/48, D-Day, D-Day Group Build, M4A1, WIP
  • Profile Photo
    Dmitry Stropalov said 10 years ago:

A good looking kit from Tamiya in a not so popular (like 1/35) scale for military vehicles. It's not a new kit - it was introduced in 2004.

There are two marking options which suits this GB - I didn't choose any yet. Option with a camouflage is more interesting, but I want to find some photos of this particular tank.

This kit contains an unusual part - die-cast chassis. I really don't now why it's better than a plastic part, but model will weight more than usual. Kit itself looks like an easy to build and has not a lot of parts, so I want to add some details.

I've replaced plastic handles with a bended from wire. Also I've added welds for additional and frontal armor plates and applied an extra thin Tamiya's cement on all other welds.

So, that's all for now.

4 attached images. Click to enlarge.

• Profile Photo

Some updates

1 attached image. Click to enlarge.

• Profile Photo
    Gregor d said 10 years ago:

Looks good. I've never built armour in 1/48, but this looks like a great kit.

• Profile Photo

Tamiya and HobbyBoss have a great kits in this scale. Maybe, not so detailed as the kits in 1/35, but very pleasant to build.

• Profile Photo
    Nikola Pentić said 10 years ago:

Looking good, Dmitry.

• Profile Photo

A small update. I've assembled front and rear armor with chassis with a super glue. All I can say - plastic chassis is more preferable.

• Profile Photo

Left part of suspension. Not glued for now, because I want to paint rubber bandages before final assembling.

• Profile Photo

Friday night and I've finished assembling and now it's all ready for a paint job.

• Profile Photo

I've primed model with Mr.Surfacer 500 and then made preshading.

2 attached images. Click to enlarge.

• Profile Photo
    neil foster said 10 years ago:

Wow this is looking great ,a die cast part is something I've never seen before.
    N.
    P.S. Don't forget to hold your final posting back until the last week !

• Profile Photo

A small update. In addition to black color I've also painted some ares with dark brown XF-64 (chassis especially). Then I've applied a base color - a lighter olive drab (because weathering will make it darker in the end). I've used Vallejo's Olive Drab + Blank White.

Also I've made masks for wheels with a masking tape and hollow punch set (actually I have two punch sets for leather - metric and imperial sizes for the best fit). It's more easier than do it by hand and gives more precise results I think.

4 attached images. Click to enlarge.

• Profile Photo
    Gregor d said 10 years ago:

Great work Dmitry. Thats a good looking Sherman.

• Profile Photo

Thank you for your responses - it helps me to keep up enthusiasm for this build!

• Profile Photo
    George Williams said 10 years ago:

I'm sure it's going to look great, Dmitry, what colour(s) are you planning to use for the tracks?

• Profile Photo

Good question, George! I think I should start with preshading with black (and maybe with addition of dark brown for rust effect), then add some polished metal color for the pins and inner parts of the horns. Then apply a darker variant of olive drab for the metal parts and for the rubber parts - the same color as I've used for wheels ("new rubber"). After that - a dark brown wash and pigments I think.