D-Day Group Build – Tiger II

Started by Gregor d · 46 · 9 years ago · Airfix, D-Day, Tiger
  • Profile Photo
    Gregor d said 10 years, 1 month ago:

Airfix King Tiger 1/72/76 scale (i don't think they know themselves). Seeing as theres been no tanks or vehicles proposed i'm pitching in with this. I haven't built any armour in a loooong time so here goes nothing 🙂 . Tigers eventually arrived into the fray in July 1944 once Adolph gave the go ahead to release the tank Divisions. He had these specifically under his control as the two Field Marschall's Rommel& Von Runstead argued over where they should be deployed. The Furher slept in on D-Day so it wasn't till the afternoon of 6 June that he was aware what was going on! Anyway a Tiger in Normandy is on the cards. Anybody know how to apply zimmermitt in 1/72 scale !

3 attached images. Click to enlarge.

• Profile Photo
    Dmitry Stropalov said 10 years, 1 month ago:

Good choice, Gregor!

• Profile Photo
    AL HOFFMAN said 10 years, 1 month ago:

This kit looks pretty good. I'll look forward to your build.

• Profile Photo
    neil foster said 10 years, 1 month ago:

Hiya Greg,on an aircraft that would be a tricky colour scheme but on a complicated shape like this you will have some fun and games I look forward to seeing it .
    Cheers N.

• Profile Photo
    Gregor d said 10 years ago:

Done a bit more on the tiny tiger 🙂 . Added zimmermitt to main surfaces using Squadron putty & scriber. Hull side details are moulded in situ so had to "improvise" around these by softening the plastic with liquid cement and scribing. Running gear is complete and based coated in sandbraun as it would be so dirty the basic sand paintwork would be dulled in use.

5 attached images. Click to enlarge.

• Profile Photo
    AL HOFFMAN said 10 years ago:

Nice touch on the zimmerit. This kit has separate road wheels doesn't it?

• Profile Photo

Yep, took a while to assemble the wheels!

• Profile Photo
    neil foster said 10 years ago:

Hey mate, great, little tank,what actualy is Zimmerit though ?
    N.

• Profile Photo

Its a concrete paste that was applied to German armour to prevent magnetic mines etc from being attached to the tank.

• Profile Photo

Well, heres the next bit - disaster has struck 🙁 . Those of you with warm and fuzzy happy memories of building cheap Airfix kits in your childhood may relate to this. Ever build their ancient Tiger 1? The dreaded vinyl one piece tracks that you were mean't to join by melting the attachment pins with a hot screw driver? If you were successful in joining the track ( i wasn't) then you had to be an expert looping them over the running gear without either - snapping the track - or breaking off a few wheels. Well, i'm sad to report their new Tiger suffers from the same problem. The tracks when joined are too tense, and when applied to the road wheels simply snap them off (see pics). Not only that but the guide bogies have broken around the rim. I dunno if this project is salvagable! I very nearly put the lot in the "circular file". The only option left to me is a battle damaged tank, and i'm not sure i can pull that off convincingly. I did try "extending" the track length by using staples (see pics) but it was still too tight and merely snapped off the wheels on the other side - AAARGH!So in the meantime progress has ground to a halt while i have a think. Any suggestions as to how i rescue this are most welcolme.

5 attached images. Click to enlarge.

• Profile Photo
    AL HOFFMAN said 10 years ago:

Bummer!
    You might try putting the tracks in hot water & see if they will stretch.
    As for the drive sprocket you might be able to reinstall it using drilled holes with a pin for strength.
    I don't know if you want to get a second kit but if so you could cut the required length of track & splice it to the existing one. Also using the new drive sprocket.

• Profile Photo

Can't see me buying another one of these (Airfix) kits. Once bitten and all that. Could try the pin idea, and "hide" the broken wheel somehow.

• Profile Photo
    neil foster said 10 years ago:

Sorry you had a foobar mate,you've still got tons of time to start again though ,it might be easier to bite the bullet ,my own build is fighting me but it makes finishing all the better.
    N.

• Profile Photo

Aye, i'm not finished with this wee beastie just yet...as you say Neil, theres still time to salvage it. I'll post up what happens next once i've had time to consider some options!

• Profile Photo
    Simon Whitney said 10 years ago:

Sorry about what happened to the wheels etc, my memories of Airfix armored vehicles always come back to haunt me, especially the tracks...
    Try giving Airfix a call and see if you can get the replacement parts.
    Still as you said , there is time yet.