D Day,1/48th,Hasegawa P-47D, Capt Donovan Smith, 61st FS,56th FG

Started by Chuck A. Villanueva · 35 · 9 years ago
  • Profile Photo
    Chuck A. Villanueva said 10 years, 1 month ago:

Here is my contribution for the GB. Finally settled on building the P-47D, had the kit with the D-Day decals in the box, however it is Gabreski's P-47, and since Simon has already started doing this one, I checked to see if I can build another one, and found Capt Donovan Smith scheme that operated in theatre. Funny I picked this kit up as a throw in believe it or not with an F-14 kit I bought off of Ebay in January. Who knew I would be able to start on it this soon after placing it in the stash. It had a zoom set in in, otherwise it is all there still in the unopen bags. I will be using Kits World decal sheet #48-030 with Capt Smiths "Ole Cock" flown in June 1944. Another reason I went with this scheme as it is quite unusual colors this aircraft appeared in. Also the natural metal undersurfaces will be fun to apply as well.

2 attached images. Click to enlarge.

• Profile Photo
    neil foster said 10 years, 1 month ago:

Cool colour scheme Chuck ,this is going to look good.
    N.

• Profile Photo

Though I am kind of a slow deliberate builder. WWII single engine planes don't take long for the most part. Hase's series of 48th scale kits are not so complicated to build compared to their jet series which can be quite labor intensive. This P-47 should be straight forward. So first I start by air brushing the interior, using Testor's Acryl Interior Green from the small square bottle, next Polly Scale Acryl Neutral Grey for the engine cowling interior and firewall. Finally to complete this session. MM Flat Black for the propeller and engine. I airbrushed the engines black as a sort of preshade under the steel metalizer I will airbrush next weekend. You will see the affect when I post the images. It will highlight the cooling fins on the cylinder heads. This stage I paint everything on the sprues. More to come.

Chuck
    Fly Navy

3 attached images. Click to enlarge.

• Profile Photo

Capt Smiths scheme is similar, but the colors will have almost a tu- tone blue and grey tone to it, instead of Gabreski's which was RAF Dk Green and Med Grey. And thanks, I'm looking forward to how it will come out.

• Profile Photo
    neil foster said 10 years, 1 month ago:

We gave this group build lots of time from start to finish so it would not become a pressure to finish on time , we all have enough pressure in our busy lives as it is, right? ENJOY !
    Cheers N.

• Profile Photo
    Gregor d said 10 years, 1 month ago:

Great choice Chuck. Look forward to seeing this one build up.

• Profile Photo
    Simon Whitney said 10 years, 1 month ago:

Go for it Chuck. I have yet to start mine.
    I will follow with interest.

• Profile Photo

Thanks Neil, appreciate the encouragement.

• Profile Photo
    Chuck A. Villanueva said 10 years ago:

This session I airbrushed the metal stage of the build, the engine, landing gear, tail wheel and the various sway braces and pitot tube. As stated on part 2, I had painted the engine face black as a base coat let it sit for a week. Then a light spray of Alclad steel was oversprayed over the cylinder heads. The affect is like as if you sprayed the steel first and then a wash into the cooling fins to re-create a well used engine. After that step, I then hand painted the firewall with Neutral Grey. The rear section of the engine really seems to stand out from the fire wall. And an image of the Kits World decal set. So with the pre painting pretty much done, next time we actually start assembly. So more to follow.

Chuck
    Fly Navy

6 attached images. Click to enlarge.

• Profile Photo
    Chuck A. Villanueva said 10 years ago:

Now we get to start doing a little assembling. First as always with cockpit. Starting with the floor and side panels. I picked out the raised areas on the floor that will wear around the peddles and area where you are just in and out of the plane with a silver pencil. And then a wash with Tamiya Smoke into recesses in the floor. MM Flat Black for the consoles and boxes. Polly Scale Acrylic OD for the case. Next was to add the seat frame to the seat. Next was to add the vents on each fuselage side to finish off todays session. Next time add the seatbelts to the seat and detail the IP. Thats it for now. Until next time.

Chuck
    Fly Navy

5 attached images. Click to enlarge.

• Profile Photo
    Simon Whitney said 10 years ago:

Looking nice Chuck. We are about level pecking on the how far side.

Simon.

• Profile Photo
    Chuck A. Villanueva said 9 years, 11 months ago:

Long overdue update, Had actually progressed along but have not been able to post any images since the demise of my PC. Any way at this point I have completed the cockpit, installed it. Once that is done, the build progresses rather quickly. Assembling the fuselage. Building and installing the wings and horizontal stabs, and the airframe is pretty much complete. Did not run into the awful seam attachment points that Simon encountered with his P-47. Hase's approach is much simpler and easier to cleanup compared to the Academy kit. The 1 pc lower wing that Hasegawa chose to assemble the wing is much easier to work with than a LH/RH wings to align and attach. It also helps with alignment. The top wing to fuselage attachment is much easier to work with. Before attaching the wing, don't forget to drill out the holes for the center mount drop tank. With that now to start adding the detail bits under the fuselage and work on the seams. More to follow.

Chuck
    Fly Navy

15 attached images. Click to enlarge.

• Profile Photo
    Simon Whitney said 9 years, 11 months ago:

Chuck, it is looking great.
    The cockpits look similar, with the Hasagawa one taking the edge.
    If it was not for the ban on buying anymore kits I would of not used the Academy one.
    More than likely the Tamiya kit.

• Profile Photo
    neil foster said 9 years, 11 months ago:

I agree with Simes ,that cockpit looks great ,nice work Chucky.
    N.

• Profile Photo
    Chuck A. Villanueva said 9 years, 11 months ago:

So at this point I will have to just write where am at to this point. Did take some images, however the memory card has failed for some reason and lost 59 images of not only of the P-47 but several other builds that are also in progress. My PC died so have been using my laptop instead, it is a Win 7 Dell, but it for some reason I cannot view I-modeler at home, the site will not load. So I am not able at this time to post images. Going to order a new PC and hopefully have it here before June 6th. And will have to get a new memory card for the camera. In the meantime this is where I'm at on the T-bolt. The airframe is completed and I have cleaned up the seams and ready for paint. I have installed the windscreen and bubble top, masked and airbrushed MM Interior Green on the frames. Next I then airbrushed Polly S RLM Red for the cowl ring and rudder. Let it set a day and then masked them off for the rest of camo. Next to airbrush the white for the D-Day stripes under the wings and rear lower 1/2 of the fuselage. Temp attaching the gear doors for the white and the following alum metal finish. Using Polly Scale white, prior to laying the white, I preshaded that area for affect. Turned out quite nicely once the white was airbrushed over that area of the wing panels and fuselage. Very subtle not to heavy. Next was to airbrush the natural finish lower portion of the airframe. Using Alclad White Aluminum was applied to the lower surfaces after masking off the white panels. During this one of the landing gear doors blew off and landed on the floor. And it just plain disappeared. Will do a detail search again to try to find it. After airbrushing the lower surfaces, I then airbrushed the bubble framing, the hub of the prop and wheels hubs. Once that was done, I then set if off for a day. The upper camo scheme calls for Ocean Grey/Dark Ocean Grey. I used Mr Color Acrylic Med grey for the Lt Ocean Grey as it had a slight blue hue in the color. I then used Polly Scale Ocean Grey mixed with Gunship Grey 10-3 to darken it into what It looked like Dk Ocean Grey. One of the things I love is airbrushing Gunze, it sprays out of the brush so nice and sweet no clogging and leaves a nice semi-gloss finish. And also leaves a nice edge. But first color to lay was a Light A/C grey, using Aeromaster, Medium Grey which is very light compare to Polly S Medium Grey which is closer to Ghost Grey. The Aeromaster color is very pale and looks correct once applied right at the Alum demarcation line and another spot under both stabs. After the 2 lighter greys are applied it is time to airbrush the camo, free hand no masks. This can be the frustrating time with clogging. So with q tips ready at hand the darker grey was applied. A quick prayer and well I will be darned if the paint flowed nicely, didn't experience much in a way of clogging, the edges feathered nicely, it was an easy scheme to apply nothing too fancy. The colors look ok, compared to the decal scheme on the sheet. So this where am at on the build at this time. I was able to take images right after airbrushing the Red and the interior Green of the window frame to document the WiP. But with the card dead don't know if I will be able to recover those images as I get an error on the card when I put it back in the camera. Without the card I was not able to document the various stages of my painting session so hopefully with the new PC and a new memory card on the way I can at least take images of the final stages. At this point my next step is to paint the black portion of the invasion stripes, and then prep for the decals. So this is all for now. More to follow.thanks for reading.

Chuck
    Fly Navy