Monogram C-47 Skytrain

Started by Josh Patterson · 12 · 9 years ago
  • Profile Photo
    Josh Patterson said 9 years, 11 months ago:

Well, last night I finally started my group build project. Painted all interior bits the basic colors and went back in to pick out all the details. Most of the pilots station and virtually none of the radio operator and navigator stations will be seen. I did remove the door from the cargo area to the cockpit and I opened the door to the lavatory. (Still, all you can see is the can, the wash basin is completely hidden behind the door.) That's what I love about Monogram! You'll never see most of this stuff when the model is finished, but they put it there anyway!

I do like the plethora of greens all over the interior. It's like the Jolly Green Giant puked in there, but it beats a solid zinc chromate interior. Once I scuff it up a bit and add some dirt and grime (this won't be a pristine example like I usually do) it should look pretty good! (I may even add some naughty pictures on the walls!)

Tonight I'll add the windows dirty it up and let it sit overnight. Tomorrow all major sub assemblies will go together. I read one review that one part in the interior was oversized and prevented the fuselage halves from going together cleanly. After dry fitting, I have not had this problem. If all goes well over the next few nights, it may start wearing paint this weekend.

12 attached images. Click to enlarge.

• Profile Photo
    Simon Whitney said 9 years, 11 months ago:

Hey Josh, how many kits come complete with a "can". Good old Monogram.
    Looks good mate.

• Profile Photo

I think this one and the B-29. The B-29 is another one with an awesome interior. At least you can leave the turrets loose so you can take them off and look inside! I do love 'em though!

• Profile Photo
    Seamus Boughe said 9 years, 11 months ago:

Funny, the Monogram B-17 does not come with a can but the Verlinden detail set for the B-17 provides a nice one in resin.

• Profile Photo

Funny thing I can't figure out about the B-17 is why they molded the bomb bay doors closed! Does the Velinden set replace or supplement the kit interior? (It is pretty darn good outta the box! Too bad the Revell B-17F didn't follow suit.)

• Profile Photo
    neil foster said 9 years, 11 months ago:

Lokking good so far Josh, you work a LOT quicker than me.
    N.

• Profile Photo
    Seamus Boughe said 9 years, 11 months ago:

The Verlinden set supplements the Monogram B-17 interior and does it very well. It is quite a value too. Believe it or not, the Mongram B-17 interior is almost a drop in fit for the Revell B-17.

• Profile Photo
    Walt said 9 years, 11 months ago:

I love that old Monogram kit, have built a few of them. The interior is awesome and very complete yes even the can. The fit of the fuselage to wings is a bit iffy but it is a fun enjoyable build over all. It looks like you are having a good time with the interior! Keep up the good work.

• Profile Photo

Hey Seamus! I figured the interior would fit, the kits are that close. I just don't like the complete lack of detail on the fuselage walls. Especially in the nose compartment. I thought about making a cast of the interior of the Monogram kit, but I may just get a bunch of Evergreen strips and do it the old fashioned way. (Unless the Verlinden set has walls already!) That's for another day though.

• Profile Photo
    Simon Whitney said 9 years, 11 months ago:

Don`t forget the toilet roll Josh.

• Profile Photo
    Frank Cronin said 9 years, 11 months ago:

Josh,

Your doing a great job on this I look forward to seeing it completed. I think the DC-3/C-47 is one of the greatest aircraft ever.

I am also doing a C-47 by Monogram for the D Day build. I had started mine about 10 years ago and put it aside. I dug it out again for this build and started again. I then went in for a complete shoulder replacement so my C-47 it's in a bit of a limbo again. Time will tell if I can finish it by June 6. So I look forward to seeing yours completed. It is looking very good to this point.

• Profile Photo

Well, I didn't get as far as I thought last weekend, but all the major bits are together. Just a few more seams to address and a little scribing and it's off to paint!

2 attached images. Click to enlarge.