Hawker 800xp Sword C-29A

Started by Gabor Kapuy · 28 · 1 year ago
  • Profile Photo
    Gabor Kapuy said 1 year, 1 month ago:

Hi,

I was planning to build a Hawker 800xp out of a Sword kit. I was thinking, I’ll have to cut up and completely scratchbuild the belly out of a radar version, however I had a feeling I shall wait. My patience paid off and I’ve instantly bought the C-29A kit as it was released.
    Still a lot scratchbuild needed, but much less and almost bearable.
    I am acquinted with the business jet version of this beautiful bird, that is why I felt the urgent need to build one.

There are not much aftermarket kits. The only I could put my hand on is a beautiful Rescue wheels kit, thanks to my friend!

This GB gave me the ultimate boost to put this project into priority.

Let’s see what I will get out of this model. Hopefully I can bring a little civil color, because that’s part of Hawker history as well. 🙂

2 attached images. Click to enlarge.

• Profile Photo
    Spiros Pendedekas said 1 year, 1 month ago:

An amazing entry, my friend @kistuz! A bird not often seen built.
    Looking forward to it!

• Profile Photo
    John vd Biggelaar said 1 year, 1 month ago:

Greaty entry, Gabor @kistuz
    Quite a rare model. Looking forward to it as well.

• Profile Photo
    Erik Gjørup said 1 year, 1 month ago:

Great choice! Fortunately the scratchbuild will be easy as the sprues are actually for a civil version, with add-ons and filler for the deleted windows on the military boxings. Strangely Sword has not yet issued a civil boxing, but as long as the trees are the same it should be manageable.

Do you have a particular civil plane in mind Gabor?

• Profile Photo
    Allan J Withers said 1 year, 1 month ago:

Good one Gabor, Qantas bought two HS125 3B's in 1964 for crew training at 1,000,000 pound Australian each.

• Profile Photo

Thank you guys!

I hope I can build it in a reasonable time.

@airbum It will be in some ways and not. I will scratch mostly the cockpit and I shall the engine, since the civil version has different thrust reverser system and a dispenser for noise reduction, which together are very prominent. Or I simpy put engine covers on and leave as it is, which I lean towards at the moment, since the fan blades ar really off as well. I will see.
    I do have a particular plane, to which I was attached for a few years. Actually this project is about making a memory of my past 4 years 🙂

@kalamazoo the old and nice rapid dragon. I've heard those were used by RAF also to train Tornado pilots. Very nice planes, just those Viper engines were converting fuel rather into noise than thrust.

1 attached image. Click to enlarge.

• Profile Photo

Just spent some hours online Gabor, and you are sadly right - wheels are to be found, byt then not a lot. Sword did make a PE/Mask set to fit the kit. If you can find anything with a TFE-731 engines it may be possible to find something? (The viper engine ended with the -700). Broplan has a vac-form kit, but that is very expensive and will most likely have vac-formed engines too. There are some engine-intakes available too, but they can easily be made from the kit and some molotow liquid chrome I guess?

The one in your picture looks very smart. I shall be looking forward to follow this one gabor!

• Profile Photo

@airbum
    I was thinking the same. Unfortunately the TFE731 engine has a large variety and also the thrust reverser systems might differ form type to type. On the modelling market there is only one aircraft that was equipped with the Honeywell TFE 731 engine, the Amodel Falco 50, however it should have the 50's series, instead of 5BR, which I need. Also I've checked the kit's pictures and the Falcon has a something rather made-up or earlier exhaust, not what I need. I was disappointed also because I was considering that kit as well.

Anyways I made a little progress on the kit. Nothing extraordinary, just cleaning the instrument panel, since my plane has an upgraded Pro Line 21 avionics system, with nice big LCD screens. Also started to modify the cockpit bulkhead, because the kit is lacking completely the APU control panel. I don't want to overdo things, since not much will be visible, but that might be visible. I have to resist the temptation to go further and build up the entry door area. I might just pose the dividing curtain rolled down.

Also painted the PAX windows, since on the original those are smoked.

3 attached images. Click to enlarge.

• Profile Photo

Regarding the exhaust this is what I should scratch 😀
    The fan blades and cones are inaccurate as well.

4 attached images. Click to enlarge.

• Profile Photo

Solid progress, my friend @kistuz! Looking forward to your improvement works!

• Profile Photo

Progressing nicely, Gabor @kistuz

• Profile Photo

The diffusers will indeed be a real challenge! The smoked windows looks very nice.

• Profile Photo

@fiveten @johnb Thank you guys!

@airbum By the time I get there, I might come up with something, I already have a few alternatives in mind 🙂

In the meantime, I have progressed a bit with the cockpit. I will not overdetail it, since not much will be visible.

2 attached images. Click to enlarge.

• Profile Photo

Nice job on the cockpit, my friend @kistuz!

• Profile Photo

Great work on the cockpit, Gabor @kistuz
    Those levers are scratch build very nicely.