Tempest MkV, Basilios "Vass" Vassiliades, Eduard 1/48

Started by Kiriakos P. · 29 · 1 year ago · Tempest
  • Profile Photo
    Kiriakos P. said 1 year, 4 months ago:

Hallo my friends
    I am going to join with a Tempest 1/48 from Eduard overtrees kit, flown by Basilios "Vass" Vassiliades who KIA on 25/03/1945.
    I also have a question. Does someone knows what type of roundels was used on upper wing surfaces, during this period? C or C1 with yellow circle?
    Thank you in advance.

1 attached image. Click to enlarge.

• Profile Photo
    Spiros Pendedekas said 1 year, 4 months ago:

An amazing entry, my friend @kipdarks! I have no clue for the roundels, I think C1 were used at later stages of the war, so, maybe C1?🤔🤔

• Profile Photo

Thank you a lot Spiros! I have the same opinion but Icarus Decals provides the type C. So, the accurate choice is to create the yellow circle 😥😥😥

• Profile Photo
    Spiros Pendedekas said 1 year, 4 months ago:

Here is an extract from wikipedia, my friend @kipdarks...

From January 1945 onward Tempests should carry the C1 on wing upper surfaces, so, almost certainly, Vassilios's plane carried them in March...

• Profile Photo
    John vd Biggelaar said 1 year, 4 months ago:

Really great entry, Kiriakos @kipdarks
    Looking forward to this one.

• Profile Photo

Spiros thank you so much! This is the most useful information. So, I have to try for the yellow circle!

• Profile Photo

Thank you John! I will try for the best!

• Profile Photo
    George R Blair Jr said 1 year, 4 months ago:

Looking forward to your build, Kiriakos P. (@kipdarks). The Tempest was an elegant plane, and will look great when built.

• Profile Photo

Thank you George! Yes it is really elegant!

• Profile Photo

A very busy day, after my decision to create the yellow circle. Masks, painting and finaly...disappointment ☹☹☹..
    But everything in modelling can be fixed!
    No more work for today..

2 attached images. Click to enlarge.

• Profile Photo
    John vd Biggelaar said 1 year, 4 months ago:

A pity that it did not yet work out well, Kiriakos @kipdarks
    Cutting circles is not the easiest thing to do.
    I know there are circle cutters on the market, maybe these might be helpful.

• Profile Photo
    Erik Gjørup said 1 year, 4 months ago:

@kipdarks, annoying it did not work out as you planned. I bought a cheap circlecutter when I re-entered the hobby some years ago, and it worked for most jobs. After a few years i bought an expensive one, and that was a vast improvement that I use every now and then. Later on I have bought a cutting machine that will do almost anything you can imagine, but I still use the cutter a lot compared to the machine.

Fingers crossed that the next attempt will be succesfull!

• Profile Photo

Many thanks John! I am going to by one of them. It seems so helpful.

• Profile Photo

Thanks a lot Erik! I am on searching for these tools.

• Profile Photo

Hallo my friends! The shape of yellow circles is now acceptable. Some differences in the green colour, hopefully will be fixed with oils. This was the last time I did not use a circle cutter. No value and too much spent time. So, I am going on with the decals of Icarus Decals. There will no stencils, because... I have not!

2 attached images. Click to enlarge.