Doblhoff WNF 342, AMP 48008

Started by John vd Biggelaar · 42 · 2 years ago
  • Profile Photo
    John vd Biggelaar said 2 years, 6 months ago:

Receiving the invitation from our friend Colin @coling to participate in this great helicopter group build, I was challenged to start my first ever aircraft with a propellor on top instead of the front of the aircraft.

I didn't have to check my stash because I knew that there was absolutely no helicopter waiting to be build.

To still being able to participate and having my birthday coming closer, I decided to buy myself an early present.

To remain in the era of WWII, I ordered the Doblhoff WNF342 in 1/48 scale.

The kit seems pretty simple by looking at the instructions, but let's see.

Boxart as shown below.

Expected delivery time is next week Wednesday.

Will keep you guys informed when I receive my early present.

• Profile Photo
    Spiros Pendedekas said 2 years, 6 months ago:

What a wonderful entry, my friend @johnb!
    This is a rare modeling subject, I've seen a couple 1/72 at the net done, but never an 1/48!
    This is a spectacular choice and the completed model will definitely be striking!
    Looking forward to see it started!

• Profile Photo
    Colin Gomez said 2 years, 6 months ago:

Thank you for your unique contribution to our HeloGB, John. I had never heard of this type before I read about your idea for this build. I have since done a bit of on-line background reading. I don't want to go into detail about the technical facts behind this remarkable machine since you may want to do this yourself in your GB or Headlines article. Suffice it to say it was totally innovative and in its propulsion system and the precursor of a number of similar successful designs.

Looking forward to your build.

• Profile Photo
    John vd Biggelaar said 2 years, 6 months ago:

@coling, indeed a very innovative design at that time.
    I also didn't know of its existence before. Looking for helicopter possibilities in WWII I came across this extraordinary machine. Reading about it is as amazing as it looks.

• Profile Photo
    John vd Biggelaar said 2 years, 5 months ago:

The Doblhoff arrived

Earlier than expected the Doblhoff arrived yesterday, two weeks prior to my birthday. What more to wish. I was however surprised by the dimensions of the package they delivered. Even the postal package was small and opening it revealed an even smaller box. Dimensions of the box are 20cm x 13cm x 3.5cm, at first I thought it was the 1:72 variant, but it definitely is the 1:48 kit. Boxart is really nice.

Inside the box there is one bag of plastic.

Instructions are very clear and nicely printed in color. Scheme choice this time is pretty simple, overal green.

Within the large bag, besides the instructions, two gray sprues and a smaller bag are present. The smaller bag contains a clear sprue, decals, photo etch and masks. Sprues parts are 71 in total, most of them are really small. Although the box is small, this is a very complete kit.

The parts do contain a bit of flash but I don't think this will be an issue. Photo etch seems a little affected (corroded) but that should be easy to clean. All in all the kit is extremely complete and provided parts look nice. Now I need to get approval from my family to start with it before my birthday 😉

• Profile Photo
    Spiros Pendedekas said 2 years, 5 months ago:

Looks a really great little kit, my friend @johnb!
    The tiny flash will not be an issue, a small masterpiece is ready to emerge!
    I believe your family will grant you permission!

• Profile Photo
    Bob Torres said 2 years, 5 months ago:

John, nice pick. A very interesting subject, looking forward on your build progress. This will look nice when done.

• Profile Photo

Journey started
    After 'officially' receiving my gift it was time to get started as well.
    As with a lot of German aircraft, also this helicopter had RLM02 as interior color.
    Did a first layer while the parts are still on the sprues.
    Hard to see but some parts are definitely RLM02.

• Profile Photo

RLM02 is clearly visible, my friend @johnb.
    And looking great, as well!
    Nice start!

• Profile Photo

IP
    Due to the work on my other builds, this one got a bit of a delay.
    A small update was achieved today.
    The tiny IP which was present in this aircraft is nicely represented by AMP.
    Pretty detailed decal and photo etch part to cover it.

• Profile Photo

Pretty cool, IP, my friend @johnb!
    Nice to see you are working with your Doblhoff again!

• Profile Photo

@fiveten, thanks Spiros. To much on my bench at the moment.

• Profile Photo

Flash
    This kit consists of tiny and fragile parts.
    Unfortunately these parts also contain quite some flash and because of the fragility, difficult to remove.
    Nerves will be tested once again.

• Profile Photo

Yep, cleaning those fragile parts can be really nerves-testing, my friend @johnb!

• Profile Photo
    Erik Gjørup said 2 years, 5 months ago:

Steady!