[Solved] Adding new topics from iPhone/iPad

Started by Editor · 7 · 1 year ago
  • Profile Photo
    Editor said 1 year, 7 months ago:

Opening this topic with reference to the problem reported by @chinesegeorge

Hi Martin, @martin @techsupport, I still can’t open a new topic in groups using my iPhone or iPad, which I’ve used this > message to contact you. At this rate I’ll have finished the model before I start the WIP!
    Thanks again for your help
    George

I was able to replicate the problem using my iPhone. Indeed, when using Safari on iOS, the "Add new Topic" button in Group forums doesn't have any effect. Interestingly, the same button seems to work problem-free in Chrome, Firefox and Edge on Windows. I wasn't yet able to test in Safari on a Mac.

The button's function is powered by a simple Javascript that opens the New Topic form. I was able to verify that the script looks ok and does not throw any errors.

If I remember correctly, that same button also used to work fine on iOS. Can anyone please confirm this?. So the current hypothesis is - a recent update to iOS might be causing Safari to fail on that particular bit of Javascript, even though it used to work fine previously.

Debugging browser idiosyncrasies is time-consuming and very much searching in the blind, so this is mostly to let you know we're still looking... and also to create a thread for potential further input & fixes

• Profile Photo
    George Williams said 1 year, 7 months ago:

Hi Martin @martin @techsupport, thanks for your help with this. I’m certain it used to work on IOS as I’ve only opened recent topics on my iPhone. My phone has the latest Apple software updates installed, but the iPad is my wife’s and hasn’t been updated for a few years, but it still displays the same problem.

Hope this helps.

Thanks again

George

• Profile Photo

I have confirmed that this is a Safari problem. Performed the following test:

1. On your iPhone or iPad, Launch Safari
    2. Go to a forums page, for example https://imodeler.com/groups/help-to-improve-imodeler/
    3. Press NEW TOPIC button. Nothing happens
    4. Now, swipe up Safari (or on older phone, press the home button) and switch to another app. Note: do not close Safari, only switch to another app.
      https://support.apple.com/en-gb/HT202070#:~:text=Swipe%20up%20from%20the%20bottom,Tap%20the%20app.
    5. Now, repeat the same action to switch back to Safari. Voilá - The "New topic" form is displayed now (as it should have been already in step 3)

As a walkaround, this is really awkward but demonstrates that the fault is on the part of Apple. The iOS version on my phone is 15.6.1.

• Profile Photo

@chinesegeorge I will still look if I can do anything to make it work despite this problem in Safari.

• Profile Photo

I have also verified that using Chrome on iOS doesn't help. Apple forces every web browser on iOS to use Apple's WebKit engine, so the behavior is identical - button not working.

• Profile Photo
    George Williams said 1 year, 7 months ago:

Hi Martin @martin @techsupport, that walk around worked fine on my iPhone, but not on my iPad.
    Thanks again
    George

• Profile Photo

Thanks for the confirmation - we're on track and know what the problem is then. I'll be looking into how this can be fixed.