[Solved] Adding Photos to a Post Since Server Migration

Started by George R Blair Jr · 37 · 1 year ago · photos, posts, server migration
  • Profile Photo
    George R Blair Jr said 1 year, 7 months ago:

I can't add photos to my posts since the server migration on 08/30. Is anyone else having problems, or is it just me?

• Profile Photo
    John vd Biggelaar said 1 year, 7 months ago:

@gblair, had some problems yesterday evening as well. Some pictures did upload correctly while others gave an exclamation mark. After trying several times they finally got accepted.

• Profile Photo

Thanks, John (@johnb). I tried last night and again this morning without success. I keep getting an error message. I have tried using both Firefox and Microsoft Edge. I also tried converting the .jpg files to .png files, but that didn't work either. I need to figure this out, or I won't be able to post.

• Profile Photo
    Erik Gjørup said 1 year, 7 months ago:

Just a test to check things at my end George. I uploaded a rndom photo, discovered a "BETA" mark with a new crop function. Crop worked fine, and if you see a picture with this post it works

I used firefox and private window setting @gblair

• Profile Photo
    Site Administrator said 1 year, 7 months ago:

@gblair, all,
    Thank you very much for letting us know.

Unfortunately, one day after the migration we can see that not everything is as smooth as we hoped for.
    We're experiencing high CPU load on the new server. This may result in pages or uploads being slower, or even dropped if the server can't cope with the load. This is somewhat surprising as based on technical specs alone, the new environment should be performing better than the old machine. We're currently investigating the cause of the issue.

I think the result may be that if any of your pictures doesn't upload, simply giving it another try may be a workaround. There is presumably NO problem with your pictures.

Please keep me posted with any problems you may encounter.
    /Martin

• Profile Photo

Hi (@techsupport):

I just tried to load some photos and got the same result. Silly me, I took a screenshot so I could show you the error I am getting, but then it occurred to me I couldn't upload the photo to show you. Anyway, I still can't figure out why the photos won't load, so I am running out of options. Let me know if you need info from me to try to trouble shoot this. Something changed with the new server. I could upload photos until the changeover. Thanks.

• Profile Photo
    George Williams said 1 year, 7 months ago:

Hi Martin, I’ve been trying to start a new topic in the automotive group but it won’t let me. When I click on new topic nothing happens. The same thing happened in this group which is why I’m using this topic to report the problem. Hope you can help.
    Thanks very much
    George

• Profile Photo
    Editor said 1 year, 7 months ago:

@paulwoodyvanacker, @chinesegeorge, @gblair,

I have just issued a fix to your problem. Please try uploading pictures and/or posting a topic again.

Both functions rely on Javascript (meaning that your browser downloads the script from the imodeler site but then runs it locally on the shown web page) and there's always a risk that some of these scripts becoming stale during site updates.

What I could do on my end was making sure that these are fully reloaded for all users today. Please let me know if this works.

Another way to try is logging into iModeler (main page) and then pressing Ctrl+F5 (on PC). This should ensure a complete reload of the site in your browser.

Fingers crossed

• Profile Photo
    George Williams said 1 year, 7 months ago:

Hi Martin, @martin @techsupport, I still can’t open a new topic in groups using my iPhone or iPad, which I’ve used this message to contact you. At this rate I’ll have finished the model before I start the WIP!
    Thanks again for your help
    George

• Profile Photo

Hi Martin, @martin @techsupport:

As a work-around for the photo problem, I have been taking photos using a digital camera, and then downloading the photos to my computer from an SD card. It had been working fine until today. I took two photos, but only one would upload to my Apple laptop. I then tried using a Windows laptop and had the same result. I took the photo again, just in case there was a problem with that one photo, but the new photo wouldn't upload either. Apparently the problem extends beyond the iPhone. Any new updates?

• Profile Photo

@gblair, I can confirm that it is beyond Apple, George. Even on a Windows machine or ChromeOS machine it occurs.
    To me it occurs more often on portrait photos not being uploaded correctly.

• Profile Photo

Thanks, John (@johnb). It doesn't seem to matter which way the photos are oriented for me. I have tried using my iPhone, and two different digital cameras with limited success. I have tried uploading photos to two different Apple laptops, a Microsoft laptop, and a desktop. So far, my success rate uploading photos is only about 25%.

• Profile Photo

@gblair, have noticed that as well and mentioned it to Martin @martin @techsupport.

Portrait photos do fail always for me, when I rotate them 90 degrees, they upload just fine.

Today I had a picture in landscape which failed, rotating 180 degrees solved the issue.

@martin, I do hope this information might help you in solving this weird issue.

• Profile Photo

Hi Martin, @martin @techsupport:

I wanted to update you on the photo upload issue I am having. After having limited success uploading photos taken with my iPhone, I was able to upload photos that I had taken with a digital camera. This worked twice, and then my success rate dropped to about 20%. I also tried taking the photos with a Nikon digital SLR, with similar results. I have tried using both a PC and an Apple computer with similar results. I have tried changing the photos to different types of photos (.jpeg, .gif, .png), with similar results. I have tried changing the size and orientation of the photos with similar results. It seems like many of the people on iModeler are not having similar problems. Erik (@airbum) has offered to upload photos for me, but that doesn't seem like a good solution. Let me know it there is anything else I can try, otherwise, I am running out of ideas.

• Profile Photo
    George Henderson said 1 year, 7 months ago:

Seems to work for me. Usually I am the one who struggles.