[Solved] iModeler is abandoned by admins?

Started by Dmitry Stropalov · 45 · 3 years ago
  • Profile Photo
    Dmitry Stropalov said 3 years, 3 months ago:

Hi there,

It looks like iModeler is not supported anymore by anybody. Issues with PMs and images are not addressed. I can add here that emailing is not working – I don't receive any mail notifications about PMs or mentions. Also we didn't hear from editors for a long time.

• Profile Photo
    Pedro L. Rocha said 3 years, 3 months ago:

Very true Dmitry, all those problems you mention have been without solution or even a feedback from the admin. Ever since Martin left there’s a void here

• Profile Photo
    Michel Verschuere said 3 years, 3 months ago:

Yes true, basically you can use the functionality that is left, nothing more and hopefully nothing less any time soon either. Sad story, I like it here otherwise because of the friendly people in the community.

• Profile Photo

So, we can loose all of the content and our community just in one moment. Somebody has to pay for the domain name (currently it will expire at 2021-07-06), hosting, etc. Really sad story. Any chances to transfer the ownership?

• Profile Photo
    Erik Gjørup said 3 years, 3 months ago:

Lets hope that it will get some fresh influx - I like the site a lot. Some of us do not have a FB account, and that is not always a friendly place as far as I've heard. Personally I use another SoMe called ello, and that is a very friendly place - free and no ads! Hard to believe, but true. Tjek ello.co and see if we could move some activity there IF iModeler should end one day. I may start to double-post and use the hashtag imodeler on things that are on "our" site too (yes, it is dot co, not dot com)

• Profile Photo
    Andrew H said 3 years, 3 months ago:

I know of a member on here (other than Martin) who has admin rights, as I contacted them multiple times during the last instances of spam. Seems he only comes when summoned.

Martin @editor was showing active as recent as 4 hours ago, just before your posting this..? Perhaps he can chime in to help answer some of these community questions, so that we can help to ensure the future of iM.

• Profile Photo
    Bill Koppos said 3 years, 3 months ago:

Nothing good EVER lasts forever. A Internationally flavored modeling site with classy, diverse folks with never a nasty word? A contest every month to get the juices flowing? Never last. I am a complete computer i***t, but if a group of you guys needs some bucks kicked in to keep the site going, I'm in. Still wonder what p****d Martin off? He was totally involved, things swimming along, then...pfffft.
    One thing for sure, ain't never going back to Diaperscale...

• Profile Photo
    Bill Koppos said 3 years, 3 months ago:

See what I mean? You can't even call YOURSELF an i***t here. 🙂

• Profile Photo

Yes, Andrew, it would be good to hear something from the owners regarding the future plans for IM.

• Profile Photo
    Simon Whitney said 3 years, 3 months ago:

Well, that sums it up, I have been try to contact Jaime Carreon but no reply.
    Also I have no notifications of P.M.`s either.

• Profile Photo
    Chuck A. Villanueva said 3 years, 3 months ago:

Some of us have talked about the lack of interest in keeping the site up 100% or at least fixing some of the features that make this site so unique. But yeah it sure feels that the site is on Autopilot and on it's own, only the members keep it going with daily builds, Group Builds. Really hope that someone rights the ship and soon.

• Profile Photo
    Michel Verschuere said 3 years, 3 months ago:

Me too I would volunteer to financially contribute to keep the site going. I wish that was just the issue. @editor

• Profile Photo
    Paul Barber said 3 years, 3 months ago:

If it simply needs maintenance cost it might be achieved through a crowd-funding platform. It would be a little painful to monetise the whole thing. I can only speak for myself, but could this be achieved by a 'donation' approach? @editor

• Profile Photo
    Eric Berg said 3 years, 3 months ago:

As a relative newbie to iModeler with my first posting in 2018, I have also noticed that the infrastructure of this site has deteriorated over the last year and a half and it's getting worse. As one who once owned a successful online retail store for 15 years before retiring, I can tell you no website runs on automatic for very long. I gather there is no current dedicated webmaster (or is there?) and if so, that's the problem. Maintenance is long overdue from what I can see.

I would hate to see this site go down the tubes for all the above comments. Somebody needs to grab the bull by the horns and take charge of keeping this wonderful site running. That is a big commitment.

• Profile Photo
    Tom Cleaver said 3 years, 3 months ago:

The two times in the last year when things threatened to "veer off course" I was able to call for one of the old admins who - without saying anything further to anyone about what he was doing - fixed things.

Also, the last two "technical glitches" that happened within the past month, where all of a sudden all we could get was the underlying site structure got fixed when I let Martin know at the old e-mail I've known him through before. No response or anything, just the next time I checked it was fixed.

This really is the best model club on the internet, and I would join everyone else in saying that if finances are the problem, I'd be happy to pay something for the privilege of membership.

Hopefully @editor is checking this thread.

Interestingly enough, I do get PM and comment notifications through my e-mail. Go figure.

The one thing I do find troublesome is the "glitches" that show up where a post doesn't "post." I know others have also experienced this. What I have found as a wrok-around is to hit the "back" button, then the "reload page" function, and the post will show up as made. If you're having this problem, try to do this and see if it works for you.