Started by Paul Barber · 19 · 5 years ago
  • Profile Photo
    Paul Barber said 5 years, 7 months ago:

Couldn’t be happier to see this shape up. Well done David!

Sgt. Frank Tree and ‘Wild Bill Kelso ‘ will ride again. Which means a P40E and some form of big tough metal vehicle with tracks.

Help!

Radio’s Wrong!

• Profile Photo
    Jeff Bailey said 5 years, 7 months ago:

That was an M3 Lee or Grant (I don't remember which one - one was used by the British; 1 was used by the Americans) if I'm not mistaken.

• Profile Photo

Jeff you are a legend! You have just reduced my research time by about a million years – thank you so much!

• Profile Photo

Here is a rather sketchy photo of the M3 Lee known as 'Lulubelle' - made for the film...

There is always the option of a Japanese sub too, and if memory serves various other aircraft...

• Profile Photo
    david leigh-smith said 5 years, 7 months ago:

Paul, I loving this GB already - irreverent, funny, imaginative, and more than a little unhinged (like Mr Belushi himself). Hit the ground running here, Paul!

@yellow10

• Profile Photo
    Paul Mahoney said 5 years, 7 months ago:

now if you could do the P-40 at the gas station ...

• Profile Photo
    david leigh-smith said 5 years, 7 months ago:

That would be worth the admission fee on its own.

@feroc

• Profile Photo

Glad to help, Paul! @yellow10

• Profile Photo

David, @dirtylittlefokker I'd pay to see that myself!

• Profile Photo
    Robert Royes said 5 years, 7 months ago:

Lulubelle was also the name of a similar tank in Bogart's 'Sahara'.

1 attached image. Click to enlarge.

• Profile Photo
    Tom Cleaver said 5 years, 7 months ago:

"Lulubelle" was the M3 tank in the 1943 classic "Sahara," which was why they did a Hollywood "homage" in this giant turkey - Spielberg's first complete failure.

• Profile Photo

Apparently Kubrick said it was ‘great, but not funny’. I think it is highly irreverent and that comes with issues. Spielberg argues that it was born a little out of his arrogance following on from the acclaim for Jaws and Close Encounters.

I definitely fall into the ‘dunno much about art but I know what I like’ bracket when it comes to film. I have a soft spot for Belushi and Aykroyd, and there are parts of this film that still make me laugh. It got three academy award Noms and made £95m having cost £35. Neither particularly an unqualified source of recommendation but I guess even Spielberg’s turkeys are the envy of many.

One of the reasons I chose this was because Spielberg was rueful over his relationship with the ‘model’ dept during the production and it is said to have led him to remedy that situation for Raiders. That and the fact that I can try to get a couple of figures to depict B and A. while building a P40 and a version of Lulubelle.

Anyone of delicate constitution should note that there is one minor expletive in the following clip:

• Profile Photo
    Michael Paquette said 5 years, 7 months ago:

I've got a soft spot for this movie. I know it tanked, people in the theater I saw it in were not laughing much but I could see the great amount of effort Spielberg put into it. Well, after having two huge hits maybe it was time he made a stinker just to humble him a bit.

My favorite WWII project I've seen from Spielberg is 'The Pacific' miniseries he did for HBO.

• Profile Photo
    Paul Barber said 5 years, 6 months ago:

So I am thinking Takom 1/35th M3 and Hasegawa 1/32 P40E. But I’m happy to listen to advice from any with experience of these or other kits!

• Profile Photo
    Robert Royes said 5 years, 6 months ago:

There's the old Monogram M3 too, Don't know much about it. There's also decals for Lulubelle at http://www.brigadegames.com.