Bullitt Mustang

Started by Matt Minnichsoffer · 38 · 4 years ago · 1968 Mustang GT, At the Movies group build, Bullitt
  • Profile Photo
    Matt Minnichsoffer said 5 years, 2 months ago:

I have been trying to come up with my ideal build for the group and I've found it. What could be a more iconic movie car than "Bullitt". Heck, I even named my dog Bullitt.

My Bullitt

Don't know why it took so long for this to click with me. Just picked up the Revell 2-in-1 1968 Mustang GT 2+2 kit. God bless Revell. Everything you need to built the "Bullitt" pony is in the kit—other than the de-badged grille and maybe some bigger tires.

Now I just have to finish my P-47 for the nose art build and get this baby on the bench. And hope I don't screw it up…

• Profile Photo
    Craig Abrahamson said 5 years, 2 months ago:

One of the best car-chase scenes of all time...love that movie (AND your "friend") - 🙂

• Profile Photo
    Louis Gardner said 5 years, 2 months ago:

That has to be the best car chase scene ever filmed in my opinion. Too bad they destroyed the black 68 Charger R/T...the "Bad guys" car.

I still cringe just thinking about it. Us die hard Mopar guys still claim that they de-tuned the Charger so the Mustang that Steve McQueen was driving could keep up... 🙂

Maybe we could talk you into building both cars from the chase scene ?

I'll be watching this one for sure... Excellent choice !

and what a beautiful dog...

• Profile Photo
    david leigh-smith said 5 years, 2 months ago:

Oh, Matt. You are my Saturday night hero! I LOVE this film, have the original movie poster on the kitchen wall. Talking of which...

Matt, I can’t wait for updates (did I say I love this movie) and really, you made my night!

• Profile Photo

Louis,

We’ll see how I do on Bullitt first and then the Charger would be a perfect companion. I think in a flat out race a Mopar would beat a 390 Mustang too, not sure in a weaving chase through San Fran. In any case, the McQueen had a lot of guts to do the driving himself.

• Profile Photo
    david leigh-smith said 5 years, 2 months ago:

Yep, your dog is beautiful.

• Profile Photo

Some of the greatest fan artwork has been created for this movie. Love it David! First time I saw this movie my cousin had the sound going through his stereo speakers and bounced a model off the shelf.

• Profile Photo
    Stephen W Towle said 5 years, 2 months ago:

Didn't the movie use two Mustangs? I believe both of them have survived. One ended up in Mexico. Basically a wreck and someone with a lot of money and no common sense had it rebuilt. Or they're crazy like a fox and waiting for someone with a bigger wallet to open and pretend to be cool and hip like Steve.
    Yeah, the Mustang was all about being cool. David you don't have enough posters. 😉
    https://www.vanityfair.com/style/2018/01/steve-mcqueen-lost-bullitt-mustang-is-unveiled

• Profile Photo

There’s a lot of lore about Bullitt, but here’s the real one. https://www.historicvehicle.org/national-historic-vehicle-register/vehicles/1968-ford-mustang-fastback-bullitt-559/

And yes there two for the movie. The “hero” one and another with roll-bar and hevier suspension for the jumps, etc.

• Profile Photo
    Louis Gardner said 5 years, 2 months ago:

I agree with you Matt about Steve McQueen and how he did his own stunt work. I'm sure it was pretty fun doing that too... Getting paid to do what you love to do.

Hopefully you can add the Charger to this journal, time permitting. I'll continue to watch with interest. Thanks for posting ...

• Profile Photo
    Tom Cleaver said 5 years, 2 months ago:

Everyone thinks that chase is very cool. Let me tell you as a film maker that it's entirely fake. You can tell it's faked in the chase down Post Street, where they keep going past the same green VW Bug. They're just running the same film through repeats at different film speeds. As someone who lived in San Francisco back then and knew the city pretty well, every "cut" other than the phony chase down Post Street is a completely different neighborhood. They run the car a block here, a block there, a block or two over there, then they run it down the road to Pacifica. You cannot actually drive the route the "chase" takes place in. It's like the old "Streets of San Francscio" TV show, where they would start a chase in North Beach, then run through Pacific Heights, then turn the corner into the Mission District, then end up in the Haight-Ashbury. Back then, my friends and I used to watch the show and call each other to go over the "impossible chase" of that episode. I once was doing business with Michael Douglas, and told him this. His response: "Busted!" With a big grin.

• Profile Photo
    Stephen W Towle said 5 years, 2 months ago:

Yeah, I fall into the trap of its all fake when watching Hollyweird movies. My wife likes to tell me ...repeatedly "It's a movie" no mention or disclaimers of reality are posted and its meant to entertain. Well she hasn't watched the History Channel yet...

• Profile Photo
    Jim Harley said 5 years, 2 months ago:

I'm not a car guy, BUT, this is a great idea. My dad and I watched Bullitt a lot when I was a kid, that car chase still gives me goose bumps. My dad was a true 60s-70s guy, after he got out of the Army in 1964 he set out to own a muscle car, and in 1967 he bought a maroon Chevelle off the showroom floor. I'll never forget that car or his love loud exhaust and burning though tires. His favorite movies were Le Mans and Bullitt. That Mustang, and that movie changed the way I watched films and looked at cars. Gritty, realistic, and intense. The car is iconic...and the chase scene is true Hollywood magic. Unfortunately my dad was a "Chevy-man" and owning a Ford wasn't in the cards. It was a sad day when he sold the Chevelle, but over the years he always had Bullitt at the ready either on VHS or DVD, and a big set of speakers to pump it through. A couple years ago I drove quite a bit of the chase locations...albeit in a rent car, but I still opened it up headed towards that gas station :), my only regret was my dad passing and not being able to do that with me. I guess I'm off to eBay to find this kit, thanks for posting this, lots of great memories.

• Profile Photo
    Robert Paschall said 5 years, 2 months ago:

Hey Louis, no they didn't detune the Chargers.
    I remember reading a story that Bill Hickman, the stunt driver driving the Charger said they could walk away from the Mustang when every they wanted. 440 vs 390 wasn't much of a contest. Also the Mustang 390's were worked to get more power, so it wasn't quite as embarrassing!

• Profile Photo
    Robert Paschall said 5 years, 2 months ago:

Steve doing his thing...

1 attached image. Click to enlarge.