”Das Boot” U-96 in 1/72 scale.

Started by John Healy · 36 · 4 years ago
  • Profile Photo
    John Healy said 4 years, 4 months ago:

Basic painting is now finished. Conning tower assembly, detail painting, and lots of weathering up next.

5 attached images. Click to enlarge.

• Profile Photo
    Erik Gjørup said 4 years, 3 months ago:

That is the trouble with subs - they surface when you least expect them! - now that this one has come up on my screen I'm tuned in - albeit a bit late in the build. Nice big boat in 1/72!

• Profile Photo
    John Healy said 4 years, 3 months ago:

Weathering underway...

3 attached images. Click to enlarge.

• Profile Photo

Weathering is done for the most part. I’ll probably hit it with some pastels to simulate salt stains after final assembly.

5 attached images. Click to enlarge.

• Profile Photo
    david leigh-smith said 4 years, 3 months ago:

This is superb work. I’ve tried several techniques for staining and had variable results. This looks genuinely realistic, which is a tough ask. It’s relatively easy to make a hull look like a good model - harder to move it away from ‘toy’ and into ‘miniature’ . For me, this is really dialled in.

@j-healy

• Profile Photo

Thanks, David. It’s been a learning experience. It’s such a large model that it’s difficult to keep track of what areas need attention. While certainly not museum quality, it should be presentable when completed.

• Profile Photo
    Tom Cleaver said 4 years, 3 months ago:

I'm really liking this, John. Super work.

• Profile Photo

Thanks Tom!

• Profile Photo

The conning tower is now glued on. The railings for the anti aircraft deck were broken in my kit and are going to need careful assembly and installation.

4 attached images. Click to enlarge.

• Profile Photo

Beautifully weathered, John. I have been tempted a few times by the Revel 1/72 sub - for nothing else, I could look at it in the stash and let my imagination loose on what I COULD do with it. If I can get to the end of this year and finish projects on the bench, who knows?

The modellers’ lament - There’s too many ideas and not enough time.

I really like the tonal variations you have on the ship - as with a lot of one these subjects, you have to work hard to get the eye to pick out the interest - and this is a great case in point. There’s a ‘Goldilocks effect’ at play here where too much weathering takes the eye away from the subject (and can make it look - paradoxically - unrealistic) too little weathering and it looks bland. For my money you are in the kill zone here, she looks the real deal for me - gritty, hard working, but efficient and elegant. Reflects the movie itself.

@j-healy

• Profile Photo

Thanks, David. I'm generally a less is more guy when it comes to weathering, so had to crank it up a bit with this one.

• Profile Photo

30+ year old Contrail rods to the rescue! I was really into WW1 vacuforms in the 80s and purchased enough of this stuff to last a lifetime. The railings look reasonable now.

2 attached images. Click to enlarge.

• Profile Photo
    James B Robinson said 4 years, 3 months ago:

Awesome recover John @j-healy. Nicely done!

• Profile Photo

“Reasonable” (?!?) - looks superb to me.

@j-healy

• Profile Photo
    John Healy said 4 years, 2 months ago:

All finished! I posted the article on the main page.

1 attached image. Click to enlarge.