”Dive Bomber”

Started by Tom Cleaver · 14 · 5 years ago
  • Profile Photo
    Tom Cleaver said 5 years, 6 months ago:

The best "Golden Wings Era" movie (since it was in Glorious Technicolor and the others were all B/W). The final days of peace, as you can also see SB2Us and TBDs in the new overall-grey scheme.

Yellow Wings Decals did a great sheet "The Airplanes of Dive Bomber" that allow a modeler to do several of the airplanes from the movie.

The movie was "based on" Robert Winston's best-seller "Dive Bomber," an account of pre-war Navy training and life in squadrons. The only things the book and the movie had in common were Golden Wings airplanes and the title. Screenplay by former naval aviator Frank "Spig" Wead, screenwriter of most of the good "flying movies" of the time (check him out in the IMDb - "writers write what they know"). There's a good movie about Spig that even John Wayne couldn't ruin, "The Wings of Eagles" by John Ford, a homage to his old friend (played by Wayne).

Here are two airplanes from the movie; the VB-3 SB2U-2 with the spurious squadron marking that Fred MacMurray took Erroll Flynn up in for his "first taste" and the VF-6 F3F-2 "6-F-4 " that MacMurray "crashed" in his high altitude flight. (Interestingly enough, both models used the same bottle of special-mix "Chevron Yellow" for the yellow wings)

8 attached images. Click to enlarge.

• Profile Photo
    James B Robinson said 5 years, 6 months ago:

Sprue Brothers has these in stock. http://store.spruebrothers.com/product_p/ywd48050.htm

• Profile Photo
    david leigh-smith said 5 years, 6 months ago:

Inspirational, Tom - there’s a lot of ‘Golden Wings Era’ love here on iModeler and these builds are superb examples of a glorious time for aircraft in the US. Thanks for for all the time and care you are putting into this project, Tom, it’s really supportive and thoughtful.

• Profile Photo
    Nick Newell said 5 years, 6 months ago:

...and I concur, it's a great film and the flying sequences in glorious colours are superb! What's not to like!

• Profile Photo
    Jeff Bailey said 5 years, 6 months ago:

Good stuff, Tom! I love your F3F-2! My Dad flew them a few times in his early Navy flying career and loved flying them. I also like Al Williams' G22 Gulfhawk II, the single civilian version made for aerobatics. I'm not familiar with the Gulfhawk IIIs, of which I think only 2 were made. They had more powerful engines, I believe.

I confess to not having seen the movie. YET!

• Profile Photo
    Chaz Sutherland said 5 years, 6 months ago:

I'm with you Jeff, never seen it, but will look for it now.

• Profile Photo

Hey david leigh-smith - I get to tell "Hollywood tales." 🙂

• Profile Photo

You'll love it. Available on DVD at the TCM Shop.

• Profile Photo
    Jeff Bailey said 5 years, 6 months ago:

Thanks, Tom!

• Profile Photo
    G. Ley said 5 years, 6 months ago:

Beautiful representations of the "golden age" when one could fly a Grumman product through a brick wall and come out the other side - just like those Boeing 767s.

• Profile Photo
    said 5 years, 1 month ago:

It’s nice to see you, and your fabulous work, again!

• Profile Photo
    david leigh-smith said 5 years, 1 month ago:

Agreed, can’t see enough - just brilliant.

• Profile Photo
    Greg Kittinger said 5 years, 1 month ago:

A handsome pair, those!

• Profile Photo
    Gábor Szabó said 5 years, 1 month ago:

Wow! Beautiful aeroplanes and beautiful models!