’For Those We Love’ and ’The Eternal Zero’

Started by Paul Barber · 63 · 4 years ago
  • Profile Photo
    Paul Barber said 5 years, 3 months ago:

After RAF100 I decided I needed to clear the air with some 'Tamigawa' joy, and to represent Japanese cinema, on the difficult subject of Kamikaze. The whole of the first film is available on youtube. I recommend a look, although it is quite long.

For Those We Love (2007)
    Directed Taku Shinjô; Written Shintarô Ishihara

The Eternal Zero (2013)
    Directed Takashi Yamazaki: Written Takashi Yamazaki and Tamio Hayashi; Novel Naoki Hyakuta

For the eternal zero I will use three 1/48th Zeros (Tamiya) different variants from the story.

Controversially depicting Kamikaze pilots, these are two thought provoking and political films about tragic death on both sides of the fight.

• Profile Photo
    Louis Gardner said 5 years, 3 months ago:

Great subject Paul. @yellow10

This is going to be a good one to follow along with ! Count me in... I'm hooked.

The Ki-43 Oscar kit you have posted a picture of... is that the last plane that was flown by Kato ? I have been reading about him recently. You mentioned the Zeros, but how does the Oscar fit in ? (I didn't watch the video clip ...yet).

Now I'm going to have to watch these movies too...

• Profile Photo

Thanks Louis, I needed some kits (albeit old) that had fewer parts and nice engineering! I also like the films although they may not be everyone’s cup of tea!

The Oscar - I have some decals - was used by the ‘special attack units’ too. Particularly in the first film. The YouTube link is actually the whole film. When you have a couple of hours it will provoke some thought! It is both harsh and gentle. The director was a nationalist, but wanted to tell the story of the young flyers and their relationship with one woman who posted letters back to their parents when their ultimate mission came around.

It was a great spot regarding Kato and the 64th, and this plane could certainly be built as his, but I will take it in another direction!

• Profile Photo
    Jeff Bailey said 5 years, 3 months ago:

Sounds very interesting, Paul.

• Profile Photo

Thanks Jeff, I can’t imagine how some Navy veterans and perhaps bereft children and grandchildren feel about Kamikaze pilots. Some of the old footage and the scenes that recreate it quite accurately in these films is horrific. Pretty much every gun available blazing on every ship at the planes coming in to crash into them - it is terrifying.

The story from the other side is incredible too. It is hard to imagine being prepared to commit suicide to damage an aircraft carrier only to be shot into the sea.

The films as I said, are fairly controversial, but if you haven’t seen them and you have time it is worth clicking on the YouTube link to see the whole of ‘For Those We Love’ (it is wrongly called Kamikaze 45 on the YouTube link). ‘The Eternal Zero’ is different - more of a human story with grandchildren trying to find out about their grandfather’s history as a fighter pilot and then Kamikaze. Also worth tracking down if you haven’t seen it!

• Profile Photo

Just enjoying cutting some parts off sprues, gluing some of the obvious bits and sanding off a few seams! The inside panels glue on. Also some parts of the cockpit, drop tanks and engine.

• Profile Photo
    Louis Gardner said 5 years, 3 months ago:

It's already looking good ! I have built up the older 1/48 scale Otaki Ki-43, but never built a Hasegawa version. I do have a few in the stash... it's tempting !

• Profile Photo
    Michel Verschuere said 5 years, 3 months ago:

Great project! Following with interest!

• Profile Photo

Thanks Louis, the fit seems tight and true, so far no drama - I'm sure I'll find some!

Great to have you along, Michel!

• Profile Photo
    Stephen W Towle said 5 years, 3 months ago:

Found this short Japanese propaganda film on Youtube. Some good source material for finding some camouflage patterns on Japanese aircraft if you can get some captures.

• Profile Photo

That's brilliant Stephen - very kind indeed, thank you - especially useful for the details - some of the weathering on those planes is impressive.

I am guessing this was staged with real and recent aircraft in 1944 - the same year that Kamikaze was first used. It begs the question how much was 'paint job' and how much was weathering on these planes? I know that's an ancient argument. It is something I'll have to navigate. I love that the special effects are by the same gent who did the early Godzilla films! (Eiji Tsuburaya).

My real question is about the 'movie' element of the group. I'm going to be living in this group and a couple of others this year - love the GBs for the cameraderie and feedback - but do you build the subject as depicted in the film, or the subject it represents? If I build the P40 from '1941' - I will be building a plane that was a later variant but used in the movie. So I chose a P40 from Pearl Harbour era - assuming this to be about right. There are few markings on John Belushi's plane so all good. Likewise the Huey from 'Apocalypse Now' - one simply has to be done out with the 'Death from Above' art - I'm still working out how to manage that - although it may well never have existed as such in combat.

I've got two films and 4 planes I want to build in this thread. The Ki-43 from For Those We Love is fairly drab. The planes from The Eternal Zero are reasonably different (marks and schemes). I have the feeling I will try to stay with the film as opposed to my own research - but it is an additional conundrum when building Imperial Japanese aircraft - which come with their own 'issues' when defining colour and weathering anyway! Add into the mix the selection process for planes bound for Kamikaze missions, and it is another case of picking an approach, justifying it in your own head (hopefully with helpful materials like yours, Stephen) and doing your best!

• Profile Photo
    david leigh-smith said 5 years, 2 months ago:

“I started the thread as a conversation point”. Boy, have you succeeded there. This is fascinating reading already, just a few posts in; not least because it comments on several key domains of the human psyche. Evil, honour, socio-cultural identity, death, conflict, and forgiveness. A well well administrated thread on a very controversial and potentially divisive subject.

Your posts also bring important movies to the table that people may not (self included) have seen. It’s nothing short of a brilliant thread, and I haven’t even commented on the builds yet.

Thanks, Paul, on lots of levels, for supporting the Group and stimulating such thoughtful and evocative issues.

• Profile Photo
    Paul Barber said 5 years, 2 months ago:

Thank you David, and greetings! I chose an obscure (ish) film and then a better known one. I am hoping that a few people will watch the entire first film as it is up on YouTube and discuss it as I build the models. A kind of ongoing film club. I just love the expertise people bring. I have never much looked into the issue of Kamikaze but was recommended a book by a friend: ‘The Kamikaze Hunters’ by Will Iredale, assessing the efforts of the Royal Navy in the Pacific in 1945. The Kamikaze strategy is clearly all very intense, complex and challenging to unravel, so it will be great if the comment continues. Failing that I’ll just build some models of kits I never expected to! Thanks for this GB, by the way, I’m glad not to be overseeing the RAF100 any more - great while it lasted , and still one more post for me to make - but I am going to live in the GBs this year (this one in particular) and generally enjoy the learning they will bring!

• Profile Photo
    Tom Cleaver said 5 years, 2 months ago:

It wasn't "some" who knew. They all knew after the First Battle of the Philippine Sea in June 1944 that the Imperial Navy no longer had any real way to fight, and it was slammed home to them with the Battles of Leyte Gulf four months later. The Japanese leadership should have been taken out and hanged after the war for their crimes against their own country that they put the people through the last nine months of the war - the fire bomb raids, the shellings, and finally the A-bombs - which didn't end the war - what ended the war was the knowledge the Soviets would invade Hokkaido in September and they had no defenses in the northern part of the country, so they knew at least half the country would be taken by the Soviets. They surrendered to the US to avoid that and said the A-bombs were responsible to get us to care about them.

• Profile Photo
    Chuck A. Villanueva said 5 years, 2 months ago:

Hi Paul, yes I have not as yet viewed those videos. I intend to. As this subject is quite explosive to some and tends to bring out the trolls known and unknown. But in the name of civility I do have my own take on it, but it will be quite divisive so I will message you privately of my own facts of the subject not opinions as some have shared and should be kept to themselves as usual.