’For Those We Love’ and ’The Eternal Zero’

Started by Paul Barber · 63 · 4 years ago
  • Profile Photo
    Paul Barber said 4 years, 11 months ago:

"On one side of the political spectrum, Japanese right-wing nationalists claimed the book was plagiarized and were indignant about its criticism of high-ranking Japanese government officials, while on the opposite side, left-wingers criticized it as a glorification of war, Hayao Miyazaki rebukes it for fabrication […]. It is drawing fire literally from all directions."

Louis, the book and the film (The Eternal Zero) annoyed pretty much everyone across the political spectrum because of their unshakeable pre-conceptions and biases, even though many facets of the tragedy of war were clearly there within the text. This is what happens when people defer to doctrine without actually thinking for themselves. Clearly the experiences and biases of some viewers/readers make it hard to look at these films through an objective lens.

The reason I think I was gripped by these films was because of their stark honesty on the personal level - they show the young men going to their death (or refusing to); the families waving them off; and the mental collapse of individuals too. I don't think the difficult subject of Kamikaze had been treated this way before. Both films do criticise the high-ranking officials of the empire, and certainly do not glorify war from my point of view, although I would agree that anything as a translated text can be nuanced, in ways the translation misses.

The films revealed something of a culture I never knew much about (and still don't pretend to). Some Kamikaze were coerced; some brainwashed; some led by their own nationalism; some driven to honour the emperor/empire; some to honour their families. It draws parallels to some situations today.

For me these films were a lesson in empathy. Again, I found modelling involving war-time subjects had led me back to reading around the 'human condition'. Empathy in times/cases of conflict and competition is said by some professionals to reach its limit. Oddly, with a little reading behind me, I learned 'that it is not simply the dangers of low empathy towards out-groups, but the risk of extreme empathy for in-groups that can lead people to take extreme measures, such as sacrificing themselves and hurting others in the process'. I guess that the nature of the 'cult' can be linked to this phenomenon?

Some other material I read, around learning to regulate empathy/emotions, threw up some other fascinating science - a collaboration between Stanford and The Hebrew University said that - 'training Israelis in emotion regulation made them more likely to support conciliatory rather than aggressive strategies in Israeli-Palestinian policies'. I wouldn't want anyone to think that this is a political comment - it isn't. I suspect the same would be true if the training was given to Palestinians. Considering the extremity of that current conflict, it might share some similarities with the state of Japan in 1944/5.

Although empathy is considered a blanket name for a number of interacting factors, I can certainly begin to see why these men, in groups of similar ages and culture acted ‘synchronously’. I can see how ‘huddling together’ and finding ways to explain where they were going, might alleviate their own terror at being expected to do their duty. I can equally see how it might be easier to ‘believe’ in what they were doing in order to rationalize being ‘nudged’ to their own deaths by others.
    There are many views on an essential impulse of the Kamikaze. I think those who state a concrete opinion are bringing with them simpler political rather than complex and perhaps unanswerable psychological explanations. And in that case, Louis, they should certainly 'suck it up' if unprepared to do research outside of their first thoughts. Anyone wishing to expand their ideas in another direction might try this essay considering the link between ‘Zen’ and Kamikaze. Nothing to do with empathy, but an interesting read!

https://aeon.co/essays/the-zen-ideas-that-propelled-japan-s-young-kamikaze-pilots

Thanks so much for your views and encouragement, Louis! It is amazing what you learn when you look at a build from different perspectives! I enjoyed the last few months reading through a variety of scientific journals around these issues, but it is great to be modeling again. The fabric of a build is often so much more to the modeler than the plastic it is made of!

Anyway, I've just put some chipping fluid over the 'Airframe Aluminium' and I'm looking forward to a bit of experimentation!

• Profile Photo
    Tom Cleaver said 4 years, 11 months ago:

No surprise Shinzo Abe would like this movie. He's the grandson of a Japanese war criminal. He's doing his level best to get rid of the pacifist constitution, has refused any and all attempts to come to grips with the truth of Japan's conduct during the war. He's the only Japanese Prime Minister to publicly visit Yasukuni Shrine, where the war criminals were secretly interred after the war. An excellent book, if you can find it (I ha ve a copy) is Professor Saburo Ienaga's "The Pacific War," the first Japanese book to take an honest look at Japan's war. His conclusions (he first wrote about the subject in the early 1950s) were suppressed by the Ministry of Education, and the book - written finally in the 1960s - only received a limited publication of a translation in English.

I well recall my own time in Japan in the 1960s. I have a "cosmic twin," a Japanese woman born the same day and year as I, who I met there. After she took me to see the Mikasa (a surreal experience, making the tour wearing the uniform of the navy that defeated that navy, and being historically literate enough to be thinking to myself as I looked at the ship models "sunk at Guadalcanal," sunk in the Battle of the Philippine Sea," etc., etc.). Afterwards we went to a lunch that lasted the entire afternoon as I told her the real history of the Pacific War, which completely shocked her. In Japan, the official version of the war was then and is now: "We went to war to free Asia from the whites, we won every battle but were forced to make strategic retreats, and then - atom bombs!"

I never understood the different treatment of Japan by MacArthur as opposed to what Germany was required to do. The Germans were forced to face the truth of what the Nazis did, and it pretty well reformed them and turned Germany back to "the nation of Goethe" rather than "the nation of Wagner." In Japan, on the other hand, there was never any effort by the victors to make the Japanese confront their role in the war. In fact, MacArthur used and worked closely with many of the Japanese who had planned and carried out the war, and the so-called "Liberal Democratic Party" which is neither liberal nor democratic, was founded by many of the wartime leadership. So of course Japan has never confronted its actual history. Tell a Japanese about the Rape of Nanking, or about the 350,000 Chinese who were massacred after the Doolittle Raid, about bodies stuffed in village wells to poison them, things like that, about Unit 719, and you get denial. It's no wonder the Chinese government deals with the Japanese government as an enemy one is forced to be diplomatic with.

And of course they tell Americans "Yes, yes, it was your atom bombs that ended the war (and you should be very ashamed)," when in fact on August 9 the Supreme War Council paid no attention to the Nagasaki bomb as they concentrated on the Soviet entry into the war that day (which the US has always denigrated throughout the cold war and still does today) when they realized they had no defenses in northern Japan, and that the Soviets would invade Hokkaido that September and likely not stop till they took Tokyo, so they finally surrendered to the US in the belief we wouldn't do to them what they knew the Soviets would from the reports they had about Germany since the end of the war there.

The only part of Japan that ever did anything to confront and deal with the truth is the people of Nagasaki (the great irony of that event is we A-bombed the city that was the traditional center of anti-Imperial, anti-military Japan, the most Christian and western-oriented city there, and that Ground Zero was the largest Catholic church in Asia, built entirely by the contributions of the Christians who emerged from 200 years of official Imperial suppression after the Meiji Restoration) and after the war they decided to dedicate the city to "universal brotherhood" as the only way to insure such a thing never happened again - and they really practice it. You have to go there to experience the only place in Japan that doesn't use the word "gaijin" (barbarian) to describe a non-Japanese.

As to the kamikaze, I recall Wendell Mayes, my writing mentor, who was an FDO on the Essex for the last year of the war, telling me how they came to hate the Japanese in a way they hadn't before the kamikaze, how they cheered when one was blown out of the sky. The crew of the Missouri threatened mutiny when the captain determined to bury the body of the Japanese pilot who had crashed the ship (that famous photo of him moments before the hit) as an honorable warrior. Most of the kamikaze pilots whose remains were found afterward were "buried at sea" by being thrown overboard with the garbage. As the son of a survivor of the kamikaze (he only ever talked about the event in what turned out to be the last conversation we would have before he died), I can well understand the attitude.

• Profile Photo

That reply adds a lot to this thread, Tom. Thank you. I'll try to find that book, although it seems likely to be a very difficult one to track down. I'm currently finishing up Will Iredale's 'The Kamikaze Hunters', another interesting read around events in the Pacific; another perspective.

'The Eternal Zero', for me, also takes in a wide number of perspectives - it highlights the pacifist and the ultra-nationalist. Abe liked it; Yoko Ono liked it. It divided opinion. I’m neither surprised Abe liked it, nor that Ono did. This may in some respects be because of the tension between writer and director, who disagreed about what it was trying to depict. The writer is a particularly nasty piece of work - he is a 'Nanking Denier' - the director said he was trying to show all war as tragedy. He may have been covering his backside in the backlash, but I'm not convinced that’s true. His characters meet tragic fates.

There are mentions of the Yasukuni Shrine as a place the 'special attack unit' pilots said they would meet after death. This of course historically accurate detail may well also be a nod to the controversy of the Abe visit and the fact that recently (I think it was the late 70s but am happy to be corrected) class-A war criminals were interred there, to much international criticism. A film about Kamikaze cannot omit Shinto, but did it glorify it and were there ‘messages’ for today? Young men planning to meet after death at a shrine that had recognized war dead since the 1800s? Again, it is open to interpretation.

The really problematic ideology (putting it mildly) comes from exactly what you say, Tom - neither film is particularly apologetic, and both are insular. Neither think from the point of the men on the carriers. Whether they should is a broader question. Whatever they set out to achieve, both were blockbusters in Japan, which is why, however controversial, they rate a place in ‘the movies’ thread.

Another issue is whether the people creating the films use somewhat romantic storylines to deliver a soft-focused version of propaganda. Both films circumnavigate their problematic topics by looking at the lives of Japanese citizens past and present, on an individual and family basis. In that sense, even if these films are borne of ‘propaganda’ (and they are as I said in the very first post 'political and controversial'), it is the human stories that genuinely gripped me. I saw a brave man, in the character of Miyabe, repeatedly challenging the way people and leaders at the time thought, despite incredible pressure to self-sacrifice, which he eventually succumbs to, after a mental breakdown, with historic tragic consequences.

Even if the propaganda is taken at face value, it still provokes thought in those of us who are not right-wing ultra-nationalists. Ordinary Japanese people were victims of the war too: both those who were bombed as you say, Tom, in one case at least in an irony-tinged target city, and also some of those who flew planes into ships - because they were coerced or brain-washed. Others of course, were war criminals.

Had I lived as a German during the war, I hope I would have found a way to resist the Nazis. I’m sure we would all agree on that. Would I have been brave enough to hide Jewish friends at the risk of the possible execution of my wife and young sons? I’m glad that is a hypothetical question. I’m glad I have never been in a position to find out and pray I never will be. Diaries of many Kamikaze show that they were coerced into what they did and threatened with consequences to their families. In one scene a young pilot stalls his plane above the airfield and allows it to fall back to earth. Again, a brave act against the leaders of the time.

Regardless of the political nature of these films, and especially now at a time when populism and extremism are rife in the world, I hope the questions they ask, are met bravely by the young people who watch them.

My next read on this topic will be ‘Kamikaze Diaries’ – here is an interview with the author for anyone interested in another perspective.

https://www.wpr.org/listen/399826

• Profile Photo

Yes, that the leaders of Japan would coerce young men like this is a war crime all its own.

I love the fact that Admiral Takeo Kurita, who really was pretty close to "Japan's fightingest Admiral" as a surface force commander (he was the one who turned back on October 25 1944 at Samar as commander of the Center Force) was "beached" afterwards and placed in command as Superintendent of Eta JIma, the IJN's "Annapolis". He told the young midshipmen that the war was lost and their duty was not to die for their country but to live for their country, to provide the leadership it was going to need in the hard days to come.

• Profile Photo

That’s exactly what Miyabe says to his young protégés in this film. I can only imagine it is based around Kurita’s rationale. He doesn’t want them to be killed so wastefully - he views that they need to be ready for what comes next. It doesn’t help him or them ultimately, such is the pressure from above.

• Profile Photo

Quick update - experimenting with chipping fluid to make a completely weathered zero!

• Profile Photo
    Louis Gardner said 4 years, 11 months ago:

This looks great Paul. I have done something similar using tape to pull up the green paint. The base coat of silver remains behind.

I accidentally stumbled across this method by accident many years ago when I was building up a Tamiya 1/48 Ki-84.

I had sprayed a very nice base coat of “metallizer” Aluminum Plate and Stainless Steel Colors. I polished it to a high shine. The plane looked good as it was in a bare metal finish but I wanted it to be IJA Green on top.

So I sprayed on the green. Next I decided to spray on the yellow leading edge wing ID stripes, since I was not sure how the decals provided for this would hold up over time.

I masked the stripes off and sprayed the yellow.

Now it’s really looking great... Then I started removing the tape I used for the yellow ID stripes.

That’s when a big chunk of green paint came off with the tape. I thought immediately I had just ruined my hard work.

Then the lightbulb went off and I had a brainstorm idea.

Why not make it look weathered and chip off some more IJN Green paint ?

So I started doing that using tape in the high traffic areas where the ground crew and pilot would have been walking (or working on) the plane.

Before I knew it, the plane was done. I thought it looked cool so I took it to a IPMS event.

As luck would have it, I was asked if they could take some pictures of the model. Believe me I was surprised and they didn’t have to ask me twice !

It ended up being published in this issue of the “Fine Scale Modeler” magazine...

I was shocked ! I never saw that coming. This was the old school Tamiya kit that was originally made in the 1970’s... and it makes the magazine. It’s probably more like a 1/50 scale model and it’s still in the Tamiya catalogue. Even though it is an older kit, it still is a fun one to build.

How is the fit on your Tamiya A6M-3 clip wing Zero ? I have a few in the stash and have been thinking about this stuff recently.

They’re probably going to be on the work bench in a few more months.

Please let me know how it assembled.

Thanks

• Profile Photo

Louis, what a great story and what a great build! Don't be too modest - well worthy of the publication!

I am trying to stay close to the planes in the film - so the next will also be heavily weathered - more so than this. And the last Zero will be done up as a newer plane.

It went together well enough - I used Zap-a-Gap slow CA to sort out the seam-lines - but it didn't need much and fit was overall very good. It is just great that a very cheap, old kit like this goes together so nicely! I have only dry fitted the cowl - and will not stick the 'bulk-head' in - just a preference to let the fit of the engine be a little easier - but no real drama!

As for the chipping, a wet paint brush and a tooth-pick have been my weapons of choice - not finished yet - still experimenting!

• Profile Photo

Louis - I remember seeing that photo in FSM and saying "Hmmm, that looks like it works."

• Profile Photo
    Louis Gardner said 4 years, 11 months ago:

Paul, @yellow10

Thanks for the information about the fit on the older Tamiya Zero. That's exactly what I was hoping for !

Here's another little bonus about using the tape method. Sometimes it will actually leave the paint with a "curled" edge. Making it look as if the paint is literally peeling away ... I used the same piece of tape to pull off the green until it was no longer sticky, and was clogged with green paint on the adhesive surface. Don't apply too much pressure, as it will remove a big section of paint should you decide to try this method in the future...

Here are a few more pictures with descriptions.

I also used a toothpick for small sections where I didn't want to remove too much of the green, such as the areas where the armorers would have serviced / loaded the weapons and various other access panels.

Tom, @tcinla

Thanks for the compliment. It does work very well for Japanese aircraft. There are a few things I would change if I were to do this again...
    I wouldn't have chipped the Hinomarus. They rarely chipped on the real planes since most of these markings were factory applied and had a good primer underneath the red paint. I wouldn't have shipped the yellow leading edge "IFF" wing stripes as much. Apparently they didn't chip that much either...but they did chip a little. This is also a case of a factory applied marking.

Contrary to popular belief, the Japanese paints were very good when they were properly applied, and if a primer was used under the top colors. More often than not, the paints were applied in the field and no primer was used.

Paint doesn't stick to well to dirty or oily surfaces, or bare metal without a proper primer base coat. I'm sure the ground crews didn't wash the planes down very thoroughly before they hastily applied the field top colors.

• Profile Photo
    Paul Barber said 4 years, 10 months ago:

Here’s a quick update. Louis, very much on line with your approach. Still a way to go, but learning that technique. Of the two remaining A6Ms will be a newish A6M5 machine and the other a heavily weathered A6M2. The planes used for Kamikaze attacks I think would be made good to get to their targets but (as per the film) might not be painted to perfection.

• Profile Photo

Shut away the cockpits on all 4 planes - and did a little more on the A6M3.

The fit was nice on the Hasegawa Oscar and the Tamiya A6M5. Less so around the wings of the Tamiya A6M2 which is currently undergoing some fairly full on filling with slow CA glue.

• Profile Photo

The idea behind this first plane is that it was painted in the field - green over ‘amber grey’. I don’t feel too bad about colour accuracy given I am covering the subject of a film and not the real thing. However evidence clearly exists that this type of overpainting happened.

Here’s another of the cockpit in place and some chipping.

• Profile Photo
    david leigh-smith said 4 years, 10 months ago:

That the quality of the model building in this project is matched by the thoughtful and informed writing is remarkable; that the underlying themes touch on such essential qualities of humanity - is astonishing. The breadth and depth of this thread give lie to the notion of the hobby as a simplistic affair.

To make a kit that bears the national insignia of fascism or imperialism begs two questions for me; why do I want to make this, and what do I understand of the subject. This is a personal stance, one that has stayed with me since picking up Matchbox and Airfix kits at the age of 8 years. Those two questions, though, are as contemporarily relevant as they were when I was building Bf109s while the war raged in Vietnam.

It is entirely gratifying to read through these posts and find like minded modelers who feel the need to explore the narrative behind the plastic. To weigh up the dissonance between the love of the machines and why they were built. To wonder at the mindset that allows man to vascilate between compassion and evil. That ‘grey area’ you talk of, Paul, is the very crucible of our species. The pinch points of decision that define our values and the behaviours that set in force our history. Of course some ‘just followed orders’, but this is still agency at work.

The choice of your subject here deserves examination, highlighting as it does the human cornerstones of sacrifice, duty, fear, love, and prejudice. I face these traits and experiences every day, but war highlight and magnifies them , bringing them into sharp focus, making them ‘seen’.

Of course, sometimes it’s just fun to stick things together.

Thanks for a truly remarkable thread, Paul.

@yellow10

• Profile Photo

That's too kind as ever, David - let's see how the painting goes with this lot!

And thanks for your well-measured comment on the conversations here. I have read a fair bit during this build - more reading than building to be honest. I've wrestled with this thread as it has gone on - especially after its inauspicious start. Felt like binning it at a number of points, too. I may be naive, but I don't think you'd find too many building for partisan political reasons, or to commemorate evil. So if we can take that as a given, it boils down to what we achieve as we do it. Essentially it is a movie thread - and these are major movies - propaganda or not. I've tried never to lose sight of that.

But questions of atrocity, nationalism and the unique, hugely emotive and complex situations that wars throw at pretty much all involved, will never be far from our hobby due to what we build and the men linked to the machines. A significant group of modellers choose their builds based on the stories they tell. I've got a number of Hueys that will be coming up for the movie thread - surely 'Apocalypse Now' is as controversial as these films? Young men and women being forced to do lunatic things by unhinged leaders - I guess that's a theme that runs though all conflict.

Luckily, young men and women also find it within themselves to do brave things to oppose 'evil'. I have noticed that my modelling seems to follow an almost schizophrenic path. Each time a 'heavy' subject (Rommel, a U-boat or Kamikaze) comes along it is followed by something traditionally heroic (Malan or McKnight).

As such, the antidote to Kamikaze, both literally (at the time) and figuratively is going to be some FAA subjects from the British Pacific Fleet - founded on the eve of victory in Europe. So a Hellcat flying off Indomitable within a couple of days of it being hit by a kamikaze; a Corsair and a Seafire - all involved in the conflict over Japan, after the battle in europe had ended, will all hit the bench soon.