’For Those We Love’ and ’The Eternal Zero’

Started by Paul Barber · 63 · 4 years ago
  • Profile Photo
    Tom Cleaver said 4 years, 10 months ago:

I have to say, this is the best "modeling conversation" I've had in a long time. I look back and I can say I educated myself with models (somebody had to educate me, the school system saw me as a "problem" for pointing out to teachers where they were wrong and proving it - boy is that ever a NO NO for a student. I built the models and I asked "why did that happen?" and my Original Creative Genius On His Own Turf father sent me to the public library, eventually after several months giving me his "adult card" because he didn't like going there three times a month. The models sent me into history, and I can say I educated myself in "the stacks" at the Main Branch of the Denver Public Library, going there two Saturdays a month. The history educated me and the science fiction turned me into a human being. I loved going to the SFWA convention in 1989, when I had qualified for membership for writing "The Terror Within," and meeting Isaac Asimov, and getting invited to sit at his exalted table for having done so (he really liked the movie) and getting to tell him "Dr. Asimov, if I hadn't walked around the corner from those boring young adult novels and found the Science Fiction shelves, and hadn't found "Foundation," I wouldn't be here tonight." The conversation we had after that, is special.

The conversations we have here are as special.

• Profile Photo
    david leigh-smith said 4 years, 10 months ago:

TC, we’d get on like a house on fire. I lived in the local library when I was a kid. Asimov, Heinlein, Clarke, Lovecraft, Niven, Donaldson. I ate these guys up. To this day, my most favourite thing in the world is a rainy day and a great book. Second favourite, sticking a 50’s creature feature or sci-fi (the Forbidden Planet is a must). Had no idea yo wrote the screenplay for ‘The Terror Inside’.

Anyway, we must discuss models...when I made them as a kid, it was always the stories I made up about the aircraft that hooked me. This thread of Paul’s is very, very special.

• Profile Photo
    Paul Barber said 4 years, 10 months ago:

Those are kind words, indeed. Inspiration to carry me through the 'masking 4 canopies stage', and then some. Thank you, both.

@tcinla

Tom, I went another route to the one I stated earlier and haven't read The Kamikaze Diaries yet, I will.

Instead I am now 7 chapters into 'Tidal Wave: From Leyte Gulf to Tokyo Bay' - your own latest!

It is compelling and I will finish it in the next few days - it has kept me away from the bench! The chapter on 'the forgotten fleet', it won't surprise you to know, had me reaching for the Hellcat/Seafire/Corsair boxes! Checking the serial numbers and carriers my kits 'flew' off, and selecting marking options.

Thus far it is an exceptional read. I love that it gives such detailed attention to the naval aviation element (I guess I shouldn't be at all surprised). I don't think I have read a more precise history book in that sense - it is awesome!

I honestly feel, that you should be thanked for bringing the BPF back into focus. I hope it finds its way onto the bookshelves of at least some of the families of the flyers. I know the book gives much wider coverage of the end of the war than just that element, but your analysis and clarity around the politics of the time, and what the US and BPF learned from each other, really highlights the value of that collaboration. I guess I'll have more to say as the read goes on - but so far it is outstanding!

• Profile Photo
    Tom Cleaver said 4 years, 10 months ago:

The cheque, as they say, is in the mail, sir! 🙂

Thanks much, Paul. People like you are the intended audience and I am really glad to hear a response like this. Read on!

• Profile Photo
    Paul Barber said 4 years, 9 months ago:

An update on the Oscar - as flown in ‘For Those We Love’.

Started with a black base; then airframe aluminium (alclad); then some AK heavy chipping fluid; and a coat of paint prior to rehydrating and chipping. Added the main decals and now pretty close to getting this one done.

Needs wheels, some tanks and an aerial - and flat coat and dirtying up a fair bit more. Having a look through the oils, pastels and washes currently!

• Profile Photo

1 down 3 to go. The Oscar as depicted in the film is a drab and weathered, if well looked after aircraft. Some better photos at the reveal than these quick snaps out of my phone, but this one is a done deal! Hasegawa Ki-43 is a great kit. Highly recommend it!

• Profile Photo
    Greg Kittinger said 4 years, 9 months ago:

It came out fantastic Paul - the chipping especially. What a looker!

• Profile Photo
    Tom Cleaver said 4 years, 9 months ago:

Great work continues, Paul.

finished the book yet?

• Profile Photo

Thanks Greg, the lousy phone pics don't pick up the chipping on the wings - better shots at the reveal!

Tom, I knew I was going on a short holiday – including a visit to the Queensland Air Museum on the Sunshine Coast – for open cockpit weekend - so I thought I’d save the last three chapters.

I finished the book this morning. Many many things I have learned in doing so, here are but a few.

Firstly, the incredible volume of the Kamikazes, you have really given a precise and gripping indication of wave after wave of these attacks in massive numbers – the chapter on ‘murderous’ May 1945 is absolutely astonishing.

Next, the ‘flammable’ nature of the US carriers – some of the pictures you paint of the bravery of the sailors fighting fires – and literally forming chains to shift ammunition away from the flames is chilling; Admiral Spruance disappearing to fight fires himself, incredible.

Finally, and I don’t want to give anything away because many of the people on iModeler should really be reading ‘Tidal Wave’ themselves – it was very enlightening to read of the end of the Japanese regime and some of its major protagonists, and the politics and internal struggle, as the need to surrender was gradually accepted as the will of The Emperor.

Add in the individual stories (none of which I’ll give away here); the depictions of Kamikaze pilots (some Naïve and some not); and the issues of managing the fleet and the final acts of the war, and it is just a compelling and brilliant read! There is way too much for me to write about here – and it is written in exceptional detail. Goes without saying I’d recommend it unreservedly to all on here – I can’t imagine how many unique model builds it would launch if it was read by a dozen of the guys on here who enjoy histories of carriers and all things that flew off them.

It was a perfect view to read of the US (Allied) experience of the Kamikaze, as I built these planes - so thank you!

Lastly, with regards to what this book has inspired, I’ll say quietly that I’ll now be sourcing an Ohka to put together and building an aircraft of US origin with sheared off propeller ends! Anyone wanting to know more will have to read the book!

Finally, the curse of the airshow looks likely to have struck. Tomorrow is 'Day 1' and the weather outside is atrocious. Slightly less awful on Sunday - but the promise of a 'huge airside display' is looking improbable to say the least!

Here is the car park of the local mall an hour ago! High winds and bucketfuls of rain!

At least it is not an earthquake - hope all is well in Southern California!

• Profile Photo
    Tom Cleaver said 4 years, 9 months ago:

Well, at least you didn't have a 6.4 earthquake yesterday that is now being called a "pre-shock" in light of the major "aftershock" being a 7.1 two hours ago - on the Richter scale, about 500 times stronger than the earlier one. Our first major seismic activity in 20 years here in the City of Lost Angles. (the epicenter being about 125 mile NNE of here up around NAS China Lake, south of Mammoth Mountain ski resort)

Thanks for the 6-star review!

• Profile Photo
    david leigh-smith said 4 years, 3 months ago:

Paul, as TC has said, this is a great, great thread, sorry for being MIA - these posts deserve better.

@yellow10

• Profile Photo
    david leigh-smith said 4 years, 3 months ago:

Paul, as TC has said, this is a great, great thread, sorry for being MIA - these posts deserve better.

@yellow10

• Profile Photo
    Paul Barber said 4 years, 3 months ago:

Cheers David. I don’t think you owe the forum or the GB too much - you give it all whenever you can.

I am just about to get back to school and am acutely aware of deadlines. It’s getting busy over here!

I notice how ‘full steam ahead’ you have been across the last few days. Remember to take a breath! Great to see you in good form again.

• Profile Photo
    Paul Barber said 4 years, 2 months ago:

Well, here's an update and a tale of some woe! The Ki-43 is no more due to a schoolboy error. We recently moved house. I put a Zero and the Ki-43 on the roof of the car as I loaded the kids. You can see where this is going. The plan was that each boy held a plane and we would arrive at the new house all intact. And then something happens, a distraction (and I don't know what it was) and your mind drifts. And you pull off. So both planes, somewhat ironically received their first at last flight. We arrived at the new house - a few miles down the road and the disaster dawned on me when I said to the kids 'where are the planes?'

Once we had unloaded boxes etc we went back by the same route and there was no sign of the Ki-43 - I am hoping that a passing child now has it. The Zero was on the road near our old driveway, relatively unscathed!

So Kamikaze of sorts came true!

I am not the kind to get angry over this kind of mishap. To be fair we all laughed about it. But my chances of hitting deadline disappeared along with one whole kit. Moving home as a group build deadline loomed has put an end to those possibilities to be fair.

So, this update comes from my new model room. After approximately 3 months of no real contact with models I have the room ready and have got this project back out. Here's to 'productivity' (although I am not exactly prolific in this hobby), and deadlines or otherwise, I will be going the distance on this project!

Anyway, here are some snaps of another part of the deal. The Finemolds IJN Yokosuka MXY7 Ohka, from my new bench!

• Profile Photo
    david leigh-smith said 4 years, 2 months ago:

I kind of think of this thread as more of a philosophical education rather than a modeling post, anyway. Hey, if you move house and this is the worst that happens, it’s all plane sailing, huh? Zero loss...

I’m really pleased you are back on the bench. Like you, the last thing I am is prolific in this hobby, but the bench is a sacred place, a bolt hole - and we all need one of those.

And hey, that ‘Cherry Blossom’ is looking great.

@yellow10