”Fury”………. 1/35 Tamiya Sherman and DML / Dragon Tiger I

Started by Louis Gardner · 74 · 4 years ago
  • Profile Photo
    James B Robinson said 4 years, 10 months ago:

I see where you are going with this Louis, and I am liking what I'm seeing! Excellent!

• Profile Photo
    Robert Royes said 4 years, 10 months ago:

Tanks a lot Louis, for the Sherman education, their both looking great!

• Profile Photo
    Chuck A. Villanueva said 4 years, 10 months ago:

Those Sherman's look awesome Louis. Watching each step as the tanks take shape. The minor yet important details that make each one different. Good stuff. Taking notes as mine slowly but surely gets to this point. Well done.

• Profile Photo
    Louis Gardner said 4 years, 7 months ago:

Thanks for the compliments fellows ! Or should I say "Tanks" ? I know it has been a long time since I have posted anything on these two... Sorry. There's been a lot of other things happening and these Sherman's have taken a temporary back burner for a while. This should be getting better soon. I have a few other builds that need to be cleared off the work bench first. They are nearing completion...

Earlier today I was spraying on some white paint to the underside of the TBM Avenger. So I decided to spray on the "Eyes" and "Mouth" on the front slope of the Korean War Sherman. After studying the decal arrangement, and it's placement on the front slope, I think it will simply be better to paint these items on rather than rely on the decals.

There are too many spots for potential problems here. The main area that concerns me, is where the bolts are that secure the transmission cover to the hull. For these reasons I decided not to use the kit supplied decals here.

As always,
    Comments are encouraged.

"Tanks" again for stopping by...

So I'll mask this off and spray on the eyes and mouth.

• Profile Photo
    Greg Kittinger said 4 years, 7 months ago:

Sounds like a reasonable plan! Coming along nicely...

• Profile Photo
    Michael E Rieth said 4 years, 4 months ago:

Hey Louis, is it too late to switch to 1/16th scale? I came across this and thought about your build.

Life Miniatures – War Daddy, WW2 US Tank Commander – 1/16 figure
  • Profile Photo
    Louis Gardner said 4 years, 4 months ago:

Hey Mike ! @mrieth
    I just noticed this posting... Wow ! That is indeed a great resin figure. Too bad they can't shrink it down to 1/35th scale. Thanks for sharing this with me. Hope you have a Merry Christmas.

• Profile Photo

Merry Christmas to you too. Do you think you will have your build done for the Christmas deadline?

• Profile Photo
    Louis Gardner said 4 years, 4 months ago:

Oh boy... @mrieth

I was under the impression that our models would need to be completed during the Oscar Ceremonies in 2020. This was definitely an error on my part, as now I see where the deadline is posted as Christmas Day. It's there plain as day. Somehow I missed that one.

That's a great big Oops on my part and I'm the only one to blame for this. Sorry but I'll have to say No it's not going to be ready. I can try and get more work done on "Fury", but I can definitely say the Tiger is going to be a no show. I have not even cracked open the box on it.

The "Victory at Sea" Avenger is done, but my "Bridges of Toko-Ri" Brubaker Panther jet is not. It is getting closer, and I might be able to pull it off... just by a tiny fraction if any at all.

Man what a bummer... Sorry for everyone who has been waiting and watching these build logs. I feel like I have let you all down.

I'll continue to make updates however, so please stay tuned.

• Profile Photo

Well David wrote, "Closing date will be Christmas 2019..." maybe that is thru to the end of the year.

• Profile Photo
    James B Robinson said 4 years, 4 months ago:

Louis @lgardner & Michael @mrieth, I noticed that last month. The Oscar's will be held on Feb 9, 2020. Maybe David @dirtylittlefokker will give us a reprieve. My Glenn Miller build will not be finished completely except for the plane and the car by Christmas. I think I can get it together by the Oscar's, but it's going to be close. My other build, Apollo 13, I haven't even started and not sure it's going to make it.

• Profile Photo
    david leigh-smith said 4 years, 3 months ago:

Gentlemen, as has been noted, I have had to spend some time ‘in country’ after a series of unfortunate events. I hope to post the Group Reveal on Oscars night (February 20th). Now, I want to be clear that I’m including any unfinished work in the ‘reveal’ - so even a build with one post will fit the build. Not at all worried that projects are unfinished - as the saying goes, “it’s the process, not the outcome”.

I myself will have two unfinished projects for the Group, so anything started qualifies as bona fine Group contribution.

Louis, bring ‘er home whenever you can.

@lgardner
    @mrieth
    @jamesb

• Profile Photo
    Louis Gardner said 4 years, 2 months ago:

Thanks David @dirtylittlefokker

for the extension on this Group Build, and I'll do my very best to get it done. I recently had a major setback with the Brubaker Panther jet, but I hope that problem has been resolved.

The Avenger from "Victory at Sea" is done. I need to take some pictures and post the article.

Unfortunately, the Tiger tank nemesis of "FURY" will be a no show, unless I continue on with the build thread after the final reveals have been made near the end of February.

Thanks to our good friend, Michel Verschuere, @michel-verschuere

I now have a very good detailed plan set to follow for the Tiger build. He sent me his notes from when he built his up. I don't think it would take too long to do, as most of the painting is done after the build is completed in your typical armor builds. You have built up one of these, so what are your thoughts on the time needed to build it ? Mine is the Dragon kit and I'm fairly certain that yours was too.

Should I decide to go ahead and complete the Tiger, I will post it here "business as usual", unless directed to do otherwise.

The Korean War Sherman will most likely be temporarily boxed until we start our Korean War group build in June. This will give me more time to concentrate on the builds that I need to get finished first...

Thanks to Rick Wilkes, @fuzzmann
    and his information on how these Sherman's had used the color "Black" as a complimentary part of the OD Green camouflage, I have been doing some researching to see if there was a set pattern used for the black. I'm finding out that isn't so easy as you would think it would be. In all honesty, if Rick hadn't mentioned the use of the black color, I most likely would have missed it. But once you know to look for it, it's there... plain as day. It seems that a lot of the ETO Sherman's had the secondary black color in use as part of the camouflage paint.

I have accumulated a bunch of odd and ends for the crew storage on the back deck, but will still most likely have to scratch a few small boxes.

David, it's great to have you back here, but please try not to over do things until you are better. Baby steps for now my friend.

• Profile Photo
    Louis Gardner said 4 years, 2 months ago:

Today I started tinkering with building the tracks for FURY.

In order to get the correct style of track I had to get a set of these AFV Club tracks. These are individual links and they are assembled just like the real ones.

The first thing I noticed was they all had small round ejector marks on the road wheel surface. These are slightly proud and can be sanded down to make it flat as it should be.

After a little while I had a short run section of tracks done.

To give you an idea as to how small the parts are, I placed them next to a few items to give you an indication to the actual size.

The end connectors and the center guides are also very nice but they’re tiny. So you have to be careful when you’re cutting them off the Sprue so that they don’t go flying away.

The track was given a test fit and I’m happy to report that it fits nicely on the suspension.

The final fit test was done by placing the tracks on the sprockets. Here again the fit is very nice.

These are meant to be move able and no glue is required, but I had one of the end connectors fall off.

So I resorted to gluing the parts together and I’ll leave them dry in place on the sprockets.

It doesn’t look like much work was done but this is a major milestone that is now done. The track is going to fit.

Now the next question is how many links are going to be needed. This is why I have purposely left the idlers loose so that I can ensure a tight track tension with no sag.

As always comments are encouraged.

Thanks for looking.