“Here’s to Swimmin’ with Bow-Legged Women”

Started by david leigh-smith · 550 · 4 years ago
  • Profile Photo
    Matt Minnichsoffer said 5 years, 2 months ago:

Can you find a shark jaw in the correct scale or do you need to scratch build that too?

• Profile Photo
    Aleksandar Sekularac said 5 years, 2 months ago:

I love the sound of Rush in the night. Nothing sounds quite like the good ol' prog-rock...
    Amazing stuff David!
    P.S. Try Beardfish, or Echolyn - they are also quite good for the late hour I find...
    Cheers,
    Aleks

• Profile Photo
    Michel Verschuere said 5 years, 2 months ago:

Fabulous craftsmanship, David, keep 'em coming my friend!

• Profile Photo
    david leigh-smith said 5 years, 2 months ago:

Hey, Matt. I have plans for the shark jaw on the flying bridge and looking forward to it.

Had to do some remedial surgery (not on the finger this time...) on the upper deck, just wasn’t the right dimensions for me. Cut out a section in the middle and fixed the other two halves together. Much better now...

The rough edges will be covered by skirting panels and flashing.

Thanks for tagging along, Matt. Appreciated.

• Profile Photo

Aleks, I’m listening to Beardfish even as I write this. Hadn’t heard of them but I have to say, they are EXCELLENT.

This morning I waited until the new flying deck set and made some fittings for the instrument panels. Looking good in the sunshine.

• Profile Photo
    Jay Mitchell said 5 years, 2 months ago:

In case you need inspiration for a second ship model.

1 attached image. Click to enlarge.

• Profile Photo
    Chaz Sutherland said 5 years, 2 months ago:

Been out of my mind lately (inundated with work) so thought I'd swing by for some fresh air and check out some awesomeness. Wow David, you certainly don't disappoint. This is looking fantastic.

• Profile Photo

@ssgt - I see you have a USS Indianapolis in the stash, Jay. Any chance of me talking you into a joint build as part of the ‘iModeler at the Movies’ group? Be great to have an Indi to go with the Orca...

You know you want to.

No pressure, but it’d be amazing.

Really.

Anyway, show me a man’s stash or his bookshelf and I’ll tell you about the man; I have a feeling we’d get on.

Thanks for looking in, hope to see you back soon.

• Profile Photo
    Matt Minnichsoffer said 5 years, 2 months ago:

You could search the internet and have a jaw 3D printed? How cool would it be to have one of those?

• Profile Photo
    Jay Mitchell said 5 years, 1 month ago:

Thanks for the suggestion , David. The Indy is too nice of a kit for someone like me to even take out of the box , much less build it.
    The humane thing for me to do is to find it a new home.

• Profile Photo
    david leigh-smith said 5 years, 1 month ago:

You undersell yourself, Jay. Thing about a kit like that is you have to look at it as a long series of sub-assemblies that you just need to put together, slowly, carefully, one at a time.

Wish I could take her off your hands, my daughter is called ‘Indi’ (just don’t tell her where the name’s from). For me she’s the only ship that comes close to the emotional pull of the Enterprise, maybe next year’s big build...

• Profile Photo

Havoc, chaos, how can I make anything in a mess like this...

Just give me a few minutes...

...ah, that’s more like it.

Phew.

• Profile Photo
    James B Robinson said 5 years, 1 month ago:

I'll just leave this right here...

• Profile Photo

Yes, “as they should be” - precisely! Or as Quint would say, “ODC - Open, Drink, Crush”

• Profile Photo
    Louis Gardner said 5 years, 1 month ago:

When I work on automobiles I arrange my tools the same way "as they should be" on my roll around cart ... and it became a thing of habit. It also helps to prevent loss by accidentally forgetting one left under the hood. You can take a quick glance and see if everything is there. The tools can blend in with all of the business under the hood of modern cars all too easy, and are very expensive to replace when you have mainly "Snap On" or "Mac" tools.

You have made some more good progress David... it's looking fantastic !