“Here’s to Swimmin’ with Bow-Legged Women”

Started by david leigh-smith · 550 · 4 years ago
  • Profile Photo
    Louis Gardner said 5 years, 1 month ago:

I see you are enjoying the new Imodeler feature that allows us to add comments to the photos...

I am too. 🙂

• Profile Photo
    david leigh-smith said 5 years, 1 month ago:

Well, Louis, me and my little friend here have made up - as you can see, it all peaceful on this St. Paddy’s night in the old county.

Not much modeling goin’ on, but a whole lot of relaxing. And reading and thinking about modeling, which is the same thing as modeling, isn’t it?

Anyway, to all iModelers, happy St Patrick’s day.

• Profile Photo
    Michel Verschuere said 5 years, 1 month ago:

Happy St. Patrick's David!

• Profile Photo

The ‘real’ Jaws...

The summer of 1916 on the eastern United States was extraordinarily hot. This, along with a growing polio epidemic, sent many Americans to seek refuge at breezy seaside resorts.

On July 1st, 1916, the Jersey Shore was experiencing a huge influx of tourists. There was also another visitor to the waters, just off the coastline. Over the next two weeks a shark, or sharks (to this day there is no conclusive evidence either way) would leave four people dead and one severely injured, all in a small geographical area.

The Jersey Shore shark attacks from July 1st to the 12th, 1916 were used as a template for Peter Benchley’s seminal book, and the subsequent movie, Jaws.

The first attack occurred on July 1st in the resort town of Beach Haven. Located on the southern coast of New Jersey, Beach Haven is situated on Long Beach Island roughly twenty miles north of Atlantic City.

Charles Vansant, a twenty-five year old resident of Philadelphia was holidaying with his family when he decided to go for a swim while his dog played on the beach (shades of the dog, Pippet, in the movie, Jaws].

Charles began screaming and many beachgoers confused thought he was yelling at his dog, while actually a shark was chewing his legs. A lifeguard quickly came to his rescue and pulled him out of the water but the flesh had been completely ripped off of his left thigh. Charles was carried into a beach hotel where he bled to death on the hotel manager’s desk.

Despite the attack and sightings of swarms of sharks off of the New Jersey coast, the beaches stayed open (again, like the movie). On July 6th the second attack occurred when Charles Bruder, a bellman from The Essex Hotel, Spring Lake, New Jersey, was swimming just over 100 yards from shore.

A shark bit him in the abdomen and then ripped off both of his legs. Lifeguards retrieved his remains but he was dead before they reached shore. The attack occurred forty-five miles north of the first attack.

The next two attacks occurred in the most unlikely of spots. Matawan Creek, located near the town of Keyport, New Jersey, was not a seaside resort and was miles inland from the ocean. On July 12th, several local boys were swimming in the creek, despite previous reports that a large shark had been spotted in the nearby freshwater.

As the boys swam, they spotted a shark’s dorsal fin. All but one of the boys was able to escape the water. Eleven-year-old Lester Stillwell was pulled under.

His friends quickly ran to town to get help. Among those who returned to help was twenty-four-year-old Watson Fisher. Believing the epileptic Lester had drowned after suffering a seizure, Watson jumped into the water to recover his body. Watson was immediately set upon by the shark in full sight of his fellow rescuers. Watson’s thigh was severely mangled, and he would later bleed to death at the hospital. Lester’s body was recovered two days later about 150 feet upstream from where he was attacked.

The final attack occurred 30 minutes after the Watson and Lester attack and a half-mile away. Fourteen-year-old Joseph Dunn, from New York City was swimming with his brother when a shark grabbed hold of his leg. His brother managed to pull him out of the shark’s grasp. Unlike the other victims, Joseph would recover, despite losing his leg.

Several theories circulated regarding the man-eater responsible for this series of attacks, including the theory of a single rogue shark swimming it’s way northward, a la ‘Jaws’. Several fishermen claimed to have caught the culprit including a blue shark caught July 14th near the final attacks (blue sharks are notoriously shy fish) and a sandbar shark (similar profile, shy and not a ‘man eater’) caught four days later near the mouth of Matawan Creek.

Matawan Creek bridge...

‘Jaws’ estuary attack bridge...

Fisherman Michael Schleisser also pulled an 8-foot great white shark out of the water, claiming it nearly took down his boat in the process (Quint?).

Cutting open the great white, they found suspicious bones and viscera. Although others speculate that there was more than one shark and that a bull shark carried out the attacks in Matawan Creek. Swimming in the ocean in 1916 was a relatively new pastime for Americans at the time. The attacks stirred a massive shark hunt which many believe to be the largest animal hunt in history.

Although Benchley never made a direct connection between his 1974 novel and the shark attacks of 1916, Spielberg (Jaws’ director) did reference them a number of times in this film, specifically Chief Brody’s line, “And it’s going to happen again, it happened before! The Jersey Beach, 1916. Five people chewed up on the surf!”

Just like the attacks of 1916, Spielberg’s 1975 film instilled a universal (excuse the pun) fear of sharks, in spite of how infrequently attacks actually occur.

Anyway, just a thought. Certainly enough material that if either Benchley or Spielberg had wanted to, they could have legitimately claimed that Jaws, unlikely as it seems, was “based on a true story...”

• Profile Photo
    Tom Cleaver said 5 years, 1 month ago:

That's a fascinating story, David. Always like "the real thing."

• Profile Photo
    said 5 years, 1 month ago:

I don't know if this has been discussed already, but where is the "Orca" now? I think I read somewhere that there were at least 2 of them for exterior shots. Are there any references as to what, if any, type of boat it was based upon?

• Profile Photo
    Stephen W Towle said 5 years, 1 month ago:

Bull shark would be a good theory for the creek attacks. They are fresh water tolerant and have been found many miles up rivers. One rumor had a Bull shark as far north as Lake Pepin in Minnesota. I find that hard to believe but, truth is stranger than fiction.

http://olioscourge.blogspot.com/2009/12/sharks-in-mississippi.html

• Profile Photo
    Josh Patterson said 5 years, 1 month ago:

With out a doubt the first one! Just watched it last weekend now that it's on Netflix.

• Profile Photo

There was a documentary about these shark attacks in New Jersey a few years ago on the History Channel. They too theorized this was a rogue Bull Shark.

They’re more likely to attack than most sharks and will eat anything. Back in the mid to late 1960’s my Dad was a professional fisherman who worked on deep sea charter boats and occasionally shrimp boats in the Atlantic off the coast of Florida all the way up on occasion to North Carolina.

He told me that they would occasionally catch shark and out of all the sharks he caught the Bulls and Tigers were the nastiest of temperament . He also said that the Tiger shark would eat anything.

I remember watching Dad fillet a Tiger and he literally pulled an old vehicle license plate out of the stomach when he opened it up. I’m not making it up I saw it with my own eyes as a kid. Just like in the movie !

Believe me when I saw that part of the movie I was in shock ! I just knew that there was a huge man eating shark right offshore waiting for me the next time I got in the water. I was terrified ... This movie had to be true because it had the license plate in it ... almost identical to the one I saw.

Years later I was working as a Public Safety Officer when there was a rash of shark bites on the local beach. They called it the “year of the shark” here and we were the leading area in the World for shark attacks.

Thank God most of the ones I saw were not too bad. The sharks would make a quick investigational bite and then release immediately afterwards when they realized it was not a fish or a turtle that they latched onto.

I guess people don’t taste too good and are a different flavor than fish. Good for us.

There were a few that were worse than others but thankfully nothing was fatal on our beach.

Unfortunately there were a few fatalities from sharks at some of the beaches south of us in the lower part of the State around this time.

Even still I wouldn’t want a shark taking a little nibble on my foot or leg, accident or not.

No thanks !

• Profile Photo

@broadcastair

Sherwood, there were two ‘boats’ made for Jaws, the operational ‘working’ Orca (she is a heavily modified ‘Warlord’ lobster fisher) and a fibreglass replica that was made to fall apart (as when Quint dies).

The original was snapped up for just a thousand dollars by a local after the movie wrapped. Eventually, souvenir hunters just tore her apart.

• Profile Photo
    Michel Verschuere said 5 years, 1 month ago:

I absolutely adore this thread! Great build and story telling from the master himself, David LS!

• Profile Photo

Ah, Michel, you are WAY to kind. Meanwhile, on the OTHeR bench...anyone got any bright ideas what to do with Four Fockes?

• Profile Photo

Hmmmmm... That last dilemma you have is a hard one. Maybe take a cue from the "Iron Werks" ?

That's not the Tante Ju from the movie "Where Eagles Dare" in the back ground. 🙂 Could be a distant cousin though.

or if they were "Lang nosed Dora's"

Food for thought... 🙂

I am really enjoying this build journey too. You just never know what's around the next corner.

Good stuff !

• Profile Photo

Ooooooooh. Doras.

• Profile Photo
    Tom Bebout said 5 years, 1 month ago:

I say build them all. Louis will show you the way it can be done.