“Here’s to Swimmin’ with Bow-Legged Women”

Started by david leigh-smith · 550 · 4 years ago
  • Profile Photo
    david leigh-smith said 5 years ago:

Oh, they’ll all get built, Tom, just thinking of something unusual or interesting to do with them. I genuinely thought that there were only two in the box but there were four. ‘Eduard Royal’ Quattro set (name should’ve gave it away). Was going to position two Winter Wurgers (with the white tiger stripes) just taken off with gear half retracted, but, ah, not with FOUR.

Damned ADHD, what was I supposed to be doing? Oh, yeah...

P.S. if I start following Gardner’s example I’ll be right behind him as we’re both marched into the Booby Hatch...

• Profile Photo
    Tom Cleaver said 5 years ago:

Two taking off is a rotte, four's a schwarm. "Alarm start!"

• Profile Photo
    david leigh-smith said 5 years ago:

And now, thanks to you, Tom, I also know that three aircraft are a ‘kette’ (‘chain’).

• Profile Photo
    Chaz Sutherland said 4 years, 11 months ago:

Well, my classes have had me out of pocket for awhile, so this is me checking in on the build and it does not disappoint. What a great thread and the Orca is looking fantastic Dave.

• Profile Photo
    david leigh-smith said 4 years, 11 months ago:

Thank you, Chaz.

Today I finally got a little time at home and on the bench. At the moment I have a few projects on the assembly line in different stages of progress. The ‘On This Day’ thread is really provoking a lot of motivation; I’m hoping with a little better weather and the lighter evenings I’ll get more build time.

Today I was just finessing some details on the Orca. I also did a little work on the underwater Hellcat (look carefully and you’ll see a little more of the ‘coral’), here seen impersonating ‘Bruce’ the shark at the end of ‘Jaws’

It’s a long weekend here in the U.K. so tomorrow I’m hoping to get a few hours in and post some progress.

• Profile Photo
    Michael E Rieth said 4 years, 11 months ago:

Now that is funny! Who knew Quint salvaged WWII US Navy aircraft wrecks from Davy Jones locker.

• Profile Photo

May not look like a quantum leap, but I did spend a lot of time on the Orca today. Almost completed the hull, did a little more cleaning up and detailing, and fixed on the gunwales.

Next session there’ll be some cosmetic differences and an actual boat will start to emerge.

Michael, I forgot the Hellcat has teeth I painted on, so positioned her a little better so they show...
    ...actually, it looks better than the shark they used in the movie.

@mrieth

• Profile Photo
    George R Blair Jr said 4 years, 11 months ago:

Great looking Orca, David. I have been lugging the plans for the Orca around for a bunch of years, but you have actually taken the next step. I think my problem is that I'm not sure if I want to build the Orca or the SS Minnow from Gilligan's Island.

• Profile Photo
    Gary Wiley said 4 years, 11 months ago:

Looking good David. But that poor, poor Hellcat needs some TLC. 🙂

• Profile Photo
    Louis Gardner said 4 years, 11 months ago:

It pleases me to see that you have managed some quality bench time. Your efforts have really paid off ! It won't be too much longer and you can start painting... The F6F is looking good too ! I was wondering about that one a few days ago. Thanks for the updates.

• Profile Photo

And after a little tidy up, this is the current status. Hull almost finished, soon ready for sanding and priming.

• Profile Photo
    David Mills said 4 years, 11 months ago:

Nice progress David!

• Profile Photo

Thank you, David. Really appreciate you stopping in.

• Profile Photo
    Matt Minnichsoffer said 4 years, 11 months ago:

David,
    I’m wondering what the story is behind the ransom note letters on your bench? Is this a hidden message I can’t decipher?

• Profile Photo

Louis, the Hellcat is waiting for a couple of things to fall into place. I have been searching for 1/48 civillian sitting down (for the sub) - and I’ve been experimenting with water to find the best medium to get a balance between the dark water I want, the visibility I want, and the the light penetration from leds.

The build is till a ‘goer’ and I think we’ll get on with it soon.

Cheers,

David.