“Here’s to Swimmin’ with Bow-Legged Women”

Started by david leigh-smith · 550 · 4 years ago
  • Profile Photo
    Michael E Rieth said 4 years, 11 months ago:

I can almost see St. Elmo's fire in that crow's nest and mast.

• Profile Photo
    Tom Cleaver said 4 years, 11 months ago:

I think those are actually British submarines, not U-boats, in the "Magaladon" photo. The location and date would work for them and not for U-boats. U-boat vs a megaladon would be a cool movie.

• Profile Photo
    david leigh-smith said 4 years, 11 months ago:

I sense a script taking shape...

Just please, God, no Jason Statham.

• Profile Photo
    Jeff Bailey said 4 years, 11 months ago:

I like Jason, but David, your comment is hilarious! (And I agree!)

• Profile Photo

For me, one of the defining details of the Orca is the tall mast (don't know if this has any significance (I know that Spielberg had a very specific vision for the boat and they cut the original lobster boat up pretty badly to get the look of the Orca he wanted).

It's one of those modeling 'things' that gets in your head. When I'm making aircraft I get all silly about dihedrals and specific things like the forward cant of the undercarriage of an FW190...ah, blah, blah, blah.

You can see in the production photo(s) below that the mast is a pretty big and intricate structure.

Not that I've given this much thought. I'm not obsessed or anything. No, not obsessed.

• Profile Photo

Not much progress to report but when you don’t get much bench time you have to (literally) make hay while the sun shines.

A few more little additions to the mast (mainly the bracket for the main spotlight). Off to work, as you can see the sun is shining here for a change.

• Profile Photo
    James B Robinson said 4 years, 11 months ago:
  • Profile Photo
    Gary Wiley said 4 years, 11 months ago:

This is looking great David. Sea creatures and great whites can get in your (my) head. While swimming in the Atlantic last week my daughter was looking at reports of 3 great whites that are being tracked. Though the closest was probably 40 miles out from where we were, I still wondered if something smaller was lurking nearby. 🙂

I do have to admit that I scanned the beach for any sign of a dorsal fin. I had seen a guy catch and release a small hammerhead the day before. Maybe he was looking for a meal that didn't have a hook attached. 🙂

• Profile Photo
    Louis Gardner said 4 years, 11 months ago:

This is the picture that accompanied the link provided earlier.

Apparently there’s a few Great Whites offshore near the coast off Long Island and Connecticut at the moment. These have been tagged and they are tracking them. Just in time for the Memorial Day weekend. Good catch James !

Sounds like a movie plot ...

I’ll bet you are chomping at the bit for the 4 days of building time to arrive. Looks great David.

The sun is shining and it doesn’t get much better than that.

• Profile Photo

Ah, the hammerhead...that’s another build, Gary...

https://imodeler.com/groups/nose-art-group-build-1917053956/forum/topic/uss-princeton-and-vf-27-redux/

Of course, the original story that Jaws was based on (other than the ‘Indianapolis’ events - we all know Quint is the real star and the ‘Indi’ is his whole reason for being half crazy)) took place very near Long Island - Matawan Creek.

• Profile Photo

It’s all Michael Rieth’s fault. I’m a damned psychologist and here I am trying to make a 1/20 scale working block and tackle. And loving it.

I’m thinking I need this to be a little smaller. Or am I overthinking this.

Any thoughts?

Oh, and made some navigation light housings...

• Profile Photo
    Louis Gardner said 4 years, 11 months ago:

Why don’t you try using a simple hand held hole puncher on some plastic sheeting ?

I think it’s about the right size for the pulley. The punches come in different sizes.

As long as they’re round it will work.

You can use a smaller diameter punch to make the inner portion of the pulley, and the larger one to make the outer groove part of the wheel.

Stack them. Large , small, large. Add a touch of plastic glue. Presto you have a pulley. Add two more, (one small one and another larger one) round bits of plastic that you punched out from the sheeting and then you will have a double groove pulley.

If you really want to get creative with this you can use a thinner sheet of plastic to make the outer edges of the pulley, leaving the center groove thick for the rope. By using the punch set, all of the pulleys will be of the same size.

This took me longer to photograph and post than it did to build. I was a bit sloppy with the alignment but I just made this set quickly as a training aid.

With a little sanding this set will look fairly good, and even better once you string in the miniature rope. Since it’s plastic it will be easy to drill out the center of the pulley if you want to make it a working wheel.

I personally think that once these are painted and rope installed, they will look very close to what you want. You can sand down the outer edge a little bit if you think the diameter is too big. This is easy to make and it gives you plenty of options.
    Here I placed an Exacto knife next to the pulley set to use as an easy reference for size. This one appears to be close to what you have made.

It’s great to see the good Doctor having fun.

Your “Orca” is getting to the point where it’s the little details that will set yours apart from the others.

It’s looking great my friend. The mast and the navigation lights are spot on.

1 additional image. Click to enlarge.

• Profile Photo

Louis, this is exactly what I need. Thanks for taking the time to make this tutorial, I really appreciate it. There are scale versions of the blocks and pullies but they’re really quite expensive and I’d much rather scratch build, anyway.

Your results are very impressive, even in a ‘quick’ titorial.

Thanks a million. Now, onto amazon for a hole puncher...

• Profile Photo
    Matt Minnichsoffer said 4 years, 11 months ago:

I do this all the time. I have an idea and after the fact find a YouTube video that makes it all easier. My wife is a scrapbooker & card maker, and believe me they have some tools that make a modelers life easier. Great co-op work here brothers.

• Profile Photo
    Michael E Rieth said 4 years, 11 months ago:

David @dirtylittlefokker, an alternative for the block, would be what I call the "Tube and Donut Method". I use Evergreen telescopic styrene tubing. Cut a smaller diameter piece the width of the block. Cut the larger diameter tubing in thin donuts. I use a #11 blade and roll the tubing, keeping the blade cut perpendicular.

Forgive the crudeness of the parts, this is a quick, down and dirty demo and I didn't clean or align the parts well. If you need to have an axle pin, leave the outer disc off.