“Here’s to Swimmin’ with Bow-Legged Women”

Started by david leigh-smith · 550 · 4 years ago
  • Profile Photo
    Louis Gardner said 4 years, 11 months ago:

Ahhhha !

That’s an even better approach ... I like it. 🙂

• Profile Photo
    david leigh-smith said 4 years, 11 months ago:

Michael, thanks soooooo much - what diameter tubing is that?

@mrieth

So, have fashioned a BOOM.

Sorry. Medication time...

• Profile Photo
    Michael E Rieth said 4 years, 11 months ago:

I came up with a better way to make the block and tackle.

I have a build sequence on my Blog: https://www.riethcreations.com/single-post/2019/05/25/Making-Block-and-TackleThe-Quick-and-Easy-Way

I like the look of the boom and attachments.

Half the fun of scratch building is coming up with ways to do it. If you would rather think it through yourself, I'll not butt in.

• Profile Photo
    Michael E Rieth said 4 years, 11 months ago:

Louis @lgardner, your way works too, maybe make the "donuts" with the different size hole punches.

• Profile Photo
    david leigh-smith said 4 years, 10 months ago:

Please butt in as much as you like, Michael. This is such a helpful tutorial and looks fantastic. More experimentations on the way...

• Profile Photo

Today on the bench, I managed to make some ‘barrel rails’ on the fore deck.

The rope covered fore part looks a little messy at the moment (covered in Modge Podge) but will settle.

Took a looooooooong time making the ‘Orca’ nameplate for the transom - that font is an utter b** to replicate, especially in small scale evergreen styrene.

Looks good on the stern, though, quite happy with the result.

Will get more done tomorrow, hope you all have a great memorial weekend, and see you tomorrow on ‘On This Day...’

• Profile Photo

‘Brodie slays the beast’...

This photo (and here I’m thinking out loud, really) shows an aspect of the Orca most modelers don’t seem to catch. It’s like the subtle nuances of a P-51’s nose, or getting aircraft undercarriage too long when posed on the ground. It’s not rivet counting. Or is it? No, it’s just a fan’s attention to detail. Hold on, am I still writing or just thinking...
    ———
    Yes, the mast. In the movie’s denouement, you can see the deck light is actually a substantial structure. It’s the little things that ‘bring home’ a project. Like slightly emphasising a feature of someone’s face on a drawing, without it becoming caricature. No, i’m still writing...focus.

So, I made the deck light, adding smaller details...

And I found this. Possibly the only photo of both Orcas together.

Does anyone else get like this at the bench?

• Profile Photo
    Matt Minnichsoffer said 4 years, 10 months ago:

Orca is looking better and better with each post. And yes—I do get obsessive with “getting it right” at the bench. I’m not a river counter, and don’t really care if my cockpits are a little to yellow, or too dark, but when making a model (especially scratch-built) detail is fun. It’s a test of your own craftsmanship and creativity. And very satisfying when you achieve it.

• Profile Photo
    Michael E Rieth said 4 years, 10 months ago:

Looks like the loops are wrapped in tape to soften the edges and provide a grip for the actors. Ah, details.

• Profile Photo

Thanks, Matt. Great to have you here. You are, of course, right. There’s little as satisfying as hitting the sweet spot on a particular detail as a modeler. Appreciate you dropping in.

• Profile Photo

Michael, I hadn’t thought of that. Perhaps you are right, but then, we are talking about the 70’s here, I believe Shaw was drunk most of the time, and threatening to throw Dreyfuss off the boat most days. I think health and safety was...a concept.

• Profile Photo

These two photos were taken on the Universal backlot just five years after Jaws finished shooting. You can already see the degradation on the boat.

Not long after these shots, Spielberg found that the Orca had been scrapped and went nuts as he used to enjoy taking a drink to the boat, sitting on the foredeck to find some quiet time.

• Profile Photo
    Louis Gardner said 4 years, 10 months ago:

Speaking of Universal and "Jaws"... Back in the mid 1990's we went over to Universal Studios in Orlando. They had the "Jaws" attraction back then. This was near the entrance to the ride.

It was pretty cool ! They had the surroundings made up to look like a New England fishing village. I found all of these photos online. I didn't think to bring a camera with me at the time...

The best part I remember is when the shark actually breached the surface of the water with it's head right next to the boat we rode on... snapping it's mouth on the way by and then disappearing back into the depths.

This caught a lot of people off guard...the best part of the ride (for me) was watching the expressions and actions of the various riders that accompanied us on the ride. Some of them freaked out !
    As you turned the corner, there was this boat with a huge chunk missing out of the transom. It sank quickly...

Then "Bruce" came back up for another bite and chomped down on a high current electrical cable...

The theme park tour boat captain would fire off a few rounds with a shotgun (not really but just for show) and then there would be a fire...

ending up with a "well done" Bruce...

that sank under the surface a final time...

I'm fairly sure this ride has been removed and is now replaced by something else... too bad.

• Profile Photo
    Gary Wiley said 4 years, 10 months ago:

David, great progress and attention to detail. The lettering came out well, as did your writing. 🙂

• Profile Photo
    Chaz Sutherland said 4 years, 10 months ago:

Dude, this is seriously off the hook (pun intended). The Orca is looking amazing.