“Here’s to Swimmin’ with Bow-Legged Women”

Started by david leigh-smith · 550 · 4 years ago
  • Profile Photo
    bob mack said 5 years, 3 months ago:

your kitten me right...how's he gonna hold a pencil behind that darling ear

• Profile Photo
    Matt Minnichsoffer said 5 years, 3 months ago:

Completely agree on the "Hooper having an affair with Chief Brody’s wife" Worthless part of the book. Personally, this is a must watch every summer around the 4th of July and the reason to this day I'd don't go in the ocean. Call it stupid, but true. Living in Minnesota kinda helps solve that issue.

David, what scale are you building the Orca?

• Profile Photo
    Rick Wilkes said 5 years, 3 months ago:

“spoiler alert” on the off chance there is a space alien reading this that hasn’t seen Jaws.

I was part way thru the book when my girlfriend and I went to see Jaws back in 75. It was scaring her bad and I admit I was feeling a bit uneasy, possibly from the death grip she had on my arm, yeah that’s it, my arm, not the big fish and that sound track. Anyway, when Hopper made the night swim up to the abandoned boat I told her, in the book, he was only going to find a big tooth. I liked to have got beat to death when that head dropped into the hole, also discovered she could cuss better than me..lol. Needless to say, there were no extra curricular activities that night.

• Profile Photo
    david leigh-smith said 5 years, 3 months ago:

“Taxidermy man is gonna have a heart attack when he sees what I brung him!”

Well, first cut is made and we have a stern...may seem a small piece of wood but it’ll carry that name ‘Orca’ eventually.

• Profile Photo

Hi Matt.

The Orca will come in at around 1/20 (technically a little larger but thereabouts). So th original boat was around 39 feet long, the model I’m making will be a bit over 25 inches.

Yep, Minnesota is about as far away from any coast as you can get. For years I used to be a professional diver (southern Mediterranean) so have a deep love of the sea and it has a real gravitational pull on my heart and mind.

Hey, gone midnight here; have a great evening and hope you keep checking in.

• Profile Photo
    Tom Cleaver said 5 years, 3 months ago:

@dirtylittlefokker - an enormous LOL to that comment!

• Profile Photo
    Tom Cleaver said 5 years, 3 months ago:

I'll always remember the first time I saw Jaws. My wife's 13-year old brother was visiting for the weekend, and we went to see the movie. He sat to one side of her, I to the other. At the end of the movie, she complained (loudly) that she couldn't feel her arms below her elbows or her hands. That was because of the death grip each of us had on her arms just above the elbows. 🙂

• Profile Photo

I was 13 when I saw it in the movies. Don’t know what I’d have thought if I knew back then that I’d be watching it again in the cinema (digitally cleaned up with new 7.1 soundtrack) In 2017 wearing a suit and drinking fine wine. I guess some things in life just don’t leave you, they make a mark (positive, if you are lucky) - like model making.

Anyway, here’s a little more progress. We now have a transom AND a keel! Refreshing to work with wood, even if it is just balsa and ply.

• Profile Photo

Ah, Bob, don’t get me started on cat puns...

• Profile Photo
    Gary Wiley said 5 years, 3 months ago:

Trivia, of a sort...
    Q: Did you know the first woman seen swimming in the movie had dandruff?
    A: Yep, they found her Head & Shoulders on the beach.

Groaning is optional, thank you very much. 🙂

• Profile Photo

Groan...but a very clever joke, Gary.

• Profile Photo

So, I had to do this...

Hooper:
    “you were on the Indianapolis?”

Brody:
    “what happened?”

Quint:
    “Japanese submarine slammed two torpedoes into her side, Chief. We was comin’ back from the island of Tinian to Leyte. We’d just delivered the bomb. The Hiroshima bomb. Eleven hundred men went into the water. Vessel went down in 12 minutes.

Didn’t see the first shark for about a half-hour. Tiger. 13-footer. You know how you know that in the water, Chief? You can tell by lookin’ from the dorsal to the tail. What we didn’t know, was that our bomb mission was so secret, no distress signal had been sent. They didn’t even list us overdue for a week. Very first light, Chief, sharks come cruisin’ by, so we formed ourselves into tight groups. It was sorta like you see in the calendars, you know the infantry squares in the old calendars like the Battle of Waterloo and the idea was the shark come to the nearest man, that man he starts poundin’ and hollerin’ and sometimes that shark he go away… but sometimes he wouldn’t go away.

Sometimes that shark looks right at ya. Right into your eyes. And the thing about a shark is he’s got lifeless eyes. Black eyes. Like a doll’s eyes. When he comes at ya, he doesn’t even seem to be livin’… ’til he bites ya, and those black eyes roll over white and then… ah then you hear that terrible high-pitched screamin’. The ocean turns red, and despite all your poundin’ and your hollerin’ those sharks come in and… they rip you to pieces.

You know by the end of that first dawn, lost a hundred men. I don’t know how many sharks there were, maybe a thousand. I do know how many men, they averaged six an hour. Thursday mornin’, Chief, I bumped into a friend of mine, Herbie Robinson from Cleveland. Baseball player. Boson’s mate. I thought he was asleep. I reached over to wake him up. He bobbed up, down in the water, he was like a kinda top. Upended. Well, he’d been bitten in half below the waist.

At noon on the fifth day, a Lockheed Ventura swung in low and he spotted us, a young pilot, lot younger than Mr. Hooper here, anyway he spotted us and a few hours later a big ol’ fat PBY come down and started to pick us up. You know that was the time I was most frightened. Waitin’ for my turn. I’ll never put on a lifejacket again. So, eleven hundred men went into the water. 316 men come out, the sharks took the rest, June the 29th, 1945.

Anyway, we delivered the bomb.”

Yes, there’s a couple of historical inaccuracies, but what a monologue.

Here’s just a little more progress on the Orca, with tonight’s (re) reading...

• Profile Photo

Ha, 21:05 in the Leigh-Smith household...

• Profile Photo
    Gary Wiley said 5 years, 3 months ago:

There you go, a late night thriller. Here's hoping you had to close your eyes every now and then.

• Profile Photo
    Matt Minnichsoffer said 5 years, 3 months ago:

farewell and adieu to yee spanish ladies...glad you brought your rubbers Chief.

Can’t wait to see this build. Your my hero.