“Here’s to Swimmin’ with Bow-Legged Women”

Started by david leigh-smith · 550 · 4 years ago
  • Profile Photo
    Gary Wiley said 4 years, 10 months ago:

Ahhh, scratchbuilding at its finest. That ladder came out great. I'm confident you'll make that pulpit with the same skill, and result. Looking real good David. It's been fun to follow.

• Profile Photo
    david leigh-smith said 4 years, 10 months ago:

Yep, 300. Another couple of hundred or so to go...

Thanks for being here, Louis.

@lgardner

• Profile Photo

Thanks, Gary. I’m pretty confident I’ll get that pulpit done over the weekend. It’s largely due to Michael @mrieth that I’ve caught the scratchbuilding bug.

Just thinking out loud...

So, halfway through the year (unbelievably), the plan is...

1. Finish the Orca by Christmas. 2019...

2. Get some traction on the underwater Hellcat. Finish that diorama, or she goes the same way as the infamous Ju88...

1. Complete a 1/350 Indianapolis in late July - I have plans for a two week ‘rapid build’ for her as part of a display with the Orca.

1. Finish the Belvedere (sorry for the desperately late entry to the RAF 100 BG, @yellow10]

1. I also have a TBM Avenger build that will be planned for a late November finish.

5.5. If I can, I’ll also finish the Enterprise 1701 -

If I can get all that done, the year will ha been prodigious; as you can see I’m not a quick builder. Too easily distracted. If I do start any more projects before the end of the year please contact Davis, I’m certain he’d sort the situation out.

Thanks,

David.

• Profile Photo
    Michael E Rieth said 4 years, 10 months ago:

David @dirtylittlefokker, Thanks for mentioning me as one reason for catching the scratch-building bug, I'm flattered. You will never look at anything around you the same way again, as you may want to use that in a scratch-building project. Also, you will become a huge packrat, if you aren't one now.

I can't work in the yard, garden or walk the dog without finding a branch or root that would make a great tree on a future diorama (insert Wife eye roll here). Speaking of which, not the wife, you could take a tiny branch cluster, root or untwist some braided wire, hit it with some glue or spray glue and cover it with sand or glitter for a different species of coral for your underwater Hellcat. There I go again, thinking.

• Profile Photo

David, I sense some modelling madness in your schedule. I can suggest a good therapist... Oh wait... No, I can't. I was going to refer you to you...

Is Davis a good listener?

🙂 Model on, my friend!

• Profile Photo
    Greg Kittinger said 4 years, 10 months ago:

Man - I learned over the last couple of years, prodded by iModeler and local club group builds, they my eyes are often larger than my stomach! I pile on the good intentions with a nebulous idea of schedule and sequence, then get distracted when I read a new article or book, see a contest entry that grabs my attention, or just haphazardly glance at my stash and see a bright shiny object! I'm never committing to an "annual build plan" again, and I'm trying to be careful not to box myself in with GB commitments. I love the GB's for the camaraderie, but just have to be selective/realistic. Meanwhile, I can jump all over these other GBs for the conversation, encouragement, and fun!

I do like your eclectic tastes in subjects (both modeling and conversation)! Though I am very focused in one, I'm also very eclectic in the other (I'm sure you know which is which!).

• Profile Photo
    Jeff Bailey said 4 years, 10 months ago:

I'm REALLY enjoying the humour here! I didn't think we'd see the poop-o-flaged Hellcat again, for sure! I look forward to ALL your projects, both present and future, David. @dirtylittlefokker

It seems that there are quite a few of the Davis cousins scattered around the world. He (she or they) is quite the traveller!

• Profile Photo
    Jeff Bailey said 4 years, 10 months ago:

David, you said: " ... as you can see I’m not a quick builder."

You're a regular Speedy Gonzalez compared to me! Heck, you can time me with a sundial!

• Profile Photo

Well, here is the latest poop-o-flaged Hellcat as she is at the moment...

Ah, but this site is all about Quint and the Orca. Here’s the foundations of the pulpit rails -what a nightmare to line up all those angles.

Good weekend to all you fathers out there!

• Profile Photo

Greg, my friend, you are always welcome here. No need to model, just pull up a chair, join in with the conversation.

• Profile Photo

Gary, appreciate the sentiment, but like a lot of mechanics, if I needed professional help, I couldn’t afford to see someone who charges the fees I do...

• Profile Photo

David, that was hilarious! From the "if" in your statement I surmise you're okay for now? 🙂

Happy Father's Day to you and all the dad's on iModeler.

• Profile Photo
    Matt Minnichsoffer said 4 years, 10 months ago:

Orca is looking good, David. Cheers

• Profile Photo
    Chaz Sutherland said 4 years, 10 months ago:

Prodigious indeed! You're an inspiration as well David.

• Profile Photo
    David Mills said 4 years, 10 months ago:

She's really taking shape now David!
    Happy Fathers Day!