“Here’s to Swimmin’ with Bow-Legged Women”

Started by david leigh-smith · 550 · 4 years ago
  • Profile Photo
    Gary Wiley said 4 years, 10 months ago:

Greg, you are absolutely correct. I have been working on an A-7E off and on for a few years. I finally decided to force myself to finish it and started noticing blemishes on the canopy and elsewhere (decals not lined up, etc.)... I toyed with the idea of walking over to the trash can and making a deposit. But then I thought, "who's in a hurry?" So I stripped the canopy, dipped it in Future and... perhaps next month I'll tackle it again.

• Profile Photo
    david leigh-smith said 4 years, 10 months ago:

So, exhaust in place, ladders set, all looking good to start getting the micro-details and lighting in the cabin.

Another comparison shot shows the project is roughly on the right lines. Getting the paint and rigging done are the things that excite me. Altogether now, “yep, I need to get out more...”

• Profile Photo
    Stephen W Towle said 4 years, 10 months ago:

What is the significance of the red stern ...red ORCA on red? Not that I would be baiting anyone into thinking that this is a metaphor for the occult or fighting the devil with the painting running down from the letters. You can read too much into these thing too.

• Profile Photo
    Matt Minnichsoffer said 4 years, 10 months ago:

Stephen,
    Funny how things show up in stills that may be lost in the film. I think Spielberg himself would love this thread.

David,
    This is a masterwork of scratch building and camaraderie. Funny how a 40 year old movie links so many of us together. Thanks for being that bridge.

• Profile Photo
    Louis Gardner said 4 years, 10 months ago:

Stunning work David... You have definitely started down the home stretch. It's the little details that set it apart and can make or break a project. Looking at the last pictures you can see that you got the lines "right"... Right down to the "ORCA" lettering on the transom.

Yet another excellent posting. The saga continues... I'm hooked.

• Profile Photo

The Orca’s transom as a sacrificial ‘altar’.

Ah, this is one of the interesting things about movies. You take even the most basic film and read as little or as much into it as you wish.

In my more fanciful moments, I believe the blood stained transom gives a visual clue to how deep Quint’s hatred of sharks runs. Since the sinking of the Indianapolis, he just can’t kill enough of them. And rather than clean the boat, the stains there keep a record of every shark he has slaughtered in an attempt to deal with the memories.

And here’s the interesting thing; without that Indianapolis story, there is no Jaws movie. The whole third act of the film rests on Quint being trapped in what happened in the South Pacific in 1945. This will very much inform how I present this project when she is done.

When we first see the shark (a staggering 81 minutes into the film) it is when Brodie (land lubber police chief) is chumming fish remains into the water from the transom, baiting the shark and bringing the monster to them with blood that we see spattered over the back of the boat.

That he does this over the transom is interesting as in one of the movie’s defining moments we see Quint eaten alive on that very transom, staining the water and the boat with his own blood.

Not that I’ve thought much about this.

@stephen-w-towle

• Profile Photo
    Aleksandar Sekularac said 4 years, 10 months ago:

My hat’s off to you David!
    This is another tour de force – scratchbuilding in wood, the movie details and the whole thread and back stories, are very, very entertaining and inspiring. One can see you are having fun!
    Cheers,
    Aleks

• Profile Photo

Yeah, Louis, this is my version of the home stretch...

@lgardner

• Profile Photo

Matt, thanks for the lovely comments. To me the work feels a little clumsy and ‘seat of the pantsy’ - but a lot of fun. Even better when I can get my daughter involved. Really, I’m ahead of the curve on this build, and I’m delighted at that.

Talking about Spielberg...

@coondog

• Profile Photo

Thanks, Aleks. My respect for you as a modeler has no boundaries, so your compliments are deeply appreciated. As for the fun, I’m having a great time here; 300 and something posts, and the project is just warming up...

@asekular

• Profile Photo

Right away, the "great white shark"is a metaphor/parallel for the" great white whale"and Melville's Moby Dick . Who consumes Ahab's leg and is hunted down until the two meet and Ahab gets dragged into the abyss by Moby Dick. Wheres the shark who also consumes the capt by the legs of course, gets it by the sheriff because, this is Hollyweird and you need blood and guts. The question to ask who is the "monster" the fish or the whale ? Who are supposed to be mindless killing machines or natures predators but, then again Homo-sapien's with there technology are the ultimate predators. Which leads to just what is evil or what is the true monster in the movie.?Thanks alot David,now I am going to be mowing the law debating the merits of modeling ,fishing and good and evil.

• Profile Photo

Little known fact; there is a Jaws printing of the original introduction of Quint in the movie which shows him laughing aloud at a cinema showing of ‘Moby Dick’. The scene shows disgruntled customers leaving the cinema as Quint becomes increasingly vocal in his laughter at Gregory Peck’s ‘Ahab’. The scene plays out with the cinema empty apart from Quint laughing at the screen. Gregory Peck refused to allow Spielberg to show this version of Quint’s introduction as he was unhappy with his own portrayal of Ahab and didn’t want to see people humiliating the character.

Also, in the book, ‘Jaws’ the shark dies of blood loss and sinks as he swims around Chief Brody, with Quint’s body attached to the great white with a harpoon line that he’d become entangled in - very similar to Ahab’s demise in Moby Dick.

Personally, I think the ‘finger nails down the blackboard’ introduction of Quint that made it to the movie was brilliant.

‘Good and Evil’...well, we’ll get to that one, Stephen.

Thanks for the post, and happy lawn mowing...

@stephen-w-towle

• Profile Photo

Modeling therapy ...what you can do with a wooden boat has its merits. Another comment with regards to the plot and writing. Good artists take. Great artists steal and it would appear that a lot was stolen.

• Profile Photo

100% agree, Stephen. If you ARE going to steal, take from a mark that’s loaded.

@stephen-w-towle

• Profile Photo

Just a quick update - moving on to micro detailing.

This is a grill for the cabin, next up, little bottles of rum.