“Here’s to Swimmin’ with Bow-Legged Women”

Started by david leigh-smith · 550 · 4 years ago
  • Profile Photo
    Matt Minnichsoffer said 4 years, 7 months ago:

Greg, wow! That was so well put. I feel this WIP has turned into a group therapy session. David, please refrain in trying to bill somebody, you started it...I leave you with this quote from Joseph Campbell, “All The Gods, All The Heavens, All The Hells Are Within You.”

If you’ve seem 13 Hours, you know what I’m talking about. Peace out Brothers (& sisters).

• Profile Photo
    david leigh-smith said 4 years, 7 months ago:

Time. I’ve been grappling with this concept for a while, trying to figure out how to get a sense of slowing it down a little. The clock is relentless. I got ill, work got busy, and before you know it we are into ‘fall’ and people are talking about Christmas.

So, bear with me.

I built a bracket for the top of the mast...

Which I fiddled with various fixing options - deciding to solder. Looks good and is really nice with rigging added.

Made a throttle for the cabin control panel...

...and the flying bridge.

Finally felt happy with my efforts in making a block and tackle.

This is it attaching mast to boom...

Got the cage finished and sprayed...

After several abortive attempts to make a turnbuckle that looked remotely feasible (an endeavour that cut to the very heart of modeling; drove me crazy and made me very happy at the same time) , I ended up with these...

Added a little insulation to the exhaust, and some bracing.

Now, back to that damned time machine...

——————————

• Profile Photo
    Michel Verschuere said 4 years, 7 months ago:

Absolutely marvelous work, David! Good to see you're back on the bench!

• Profile Photo
    James B Robinson said 4 years, 7 months ago:

Outstanding update David!

• Profile Photo
    Greg Kittinger said 4 years, 6 months ago:

Ah - there you are! Glad you poked your head above the relentlessness of life to frolic at the modeling bench for awhile! Such great, detailed progress with such a short post! Looking great as always.

• Profile Photo
    Robert Royes said 4 years, 6 months ago:

Nice to see your progress, I'm still going thru ''on this day' withdrawal symptoms .

• Profile Photo
    Gary Wiley said 4 years, 6 months ago:

I can say that I am happy to see an update, though I've only been able to lurk around here. I've wondered what became of you. Life... it has its own demands, doesn't it? Glad you're well again, and busy.

• Profile Photo
    Matt Minnichsoffer said 4 years, 6 months ago:

Glad to see you back Brother. Time…like sands through the hour glass. Know what you're saying.

• Profile Photo
    Stephen W Towle said 4 years, 6 months ago:

I knew it. Life got in the way...that last photo with the cat. Reminds me of a Alfred Hitchcock movie or the shot does. Now think Spielberg who was a great admirer of...and then you have a great admirer of a Spielberg movie ...the cat and the model bring together the genre. What happens next who knows... I have a suspicion that the cat is up to no good. Good to have you back David.

• Profile Photo
    Allan J Withers said 4 years, 6 months ago:

Meeoow, open the window and let me at that SHARK !