hi and thanks for the invite... now just have to come up with an idea!!

Started by Paul Mahoney · 57 · 5 years ago
  • Profile Photo
    david leigh-smith said 5 years, 7 months ago:

Louis, this post is exactly in the spirit of the group, stimulating memories and wanting to recapture and replicate scenes that gave us all so much excitement and fun. LOVED Bullitt (McQueen really was the king of cool) and that could even tempt me into a car build.

Brilliant collection, Louis. Brilliant.

• Profile Photo
    Louis Gardner said 5 years, 7 months ago:

Thanks David !

I'm not planning on building any of these subjects that I posted pictures of.

Instead I simply wanted to hopefully stimulate someone into an idea for a project.

McQueen was the "King of Cool"... and still is in my mind. The motorcycle chase scene from the "Great Escape" was another famous scene where he did most his own driving and stunt work. The man was legend.

Last night after I laid down it suddenly hit me...

No one mentioned a fairly recent movie.

How about "Fury" ? I seem to remember a picture of one of my friends standing next to the Sherman used in the movie... 🙂

Another movie I thought of was "The Blue Max".

The scene flying under the bridges is epic !

• Profile Photo

Excellent, all, Louis. I would love to do the McQueen/Triumph TR6 as a dio - someone, somewhere MUST have done that as a model?

• Profile Photo

And here we have it...no King of Cool, but there's the Triumph.

• Profile Photo
    Peter Hausamann said 5 years, 7 months ago:

Before the Bridge on the River Kwai, I was thinking of doing this:

Perhaps the fly boys would be amuzed. "Those Magnificent Men in Their Flying Machines" is a movie full of fun ideas.

• Profile Photo
    James B Robinson said 5 years, 7 months ago:

Since everyone is dropping ideas...I'll just leave this here for a bit...

1 attached image. Click to enlarge.

• Profile Photo

Sorry James if I inappropriately posted an idea.

• Profile Photo

And here he is, Louis. Glad to say he’s lost a bit of weight since then!

• Profile Photo

That’s no chicken.

• Profile Photo
    James B Robinson said 5 years, 7 months ago:

Peter @tecko, nonsense, you are doing grand. I was just dropping a hint you see. I had a suspicion that even the creator of the group would pick up on it. He may have...or he may have not. This remains to be revealed.

Happy to say at least two ideas dropped here are in my stash, one being directly above. And I have no problems duplicating a build even if someone else has already chosen that subject. Participation is the key.

I've a few ideas still bouncing around looking for traction that none have suggested. Surprising since there have been so many good ones.

• Profile Photo
    Matt Minnichsoffer said 5 years, 7 months ago:

So many options. Mad Max’s Ford Falcon was my first thought, but too expensive if you can find the kit. The Delores from Back to the Future? The Bullitt Mustang? Rat Patrol? I can’t decide...

• Profile Photo

Matt @coondog. What about:
    https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/KITT
    Look at all those internal lights (easy to make). KITT Kits are affordable (I think).

• Profile Photo

Paul @feroc, if you still have not got an idea for a build, I am sure you will like this one. With your skills, you ought to be able to do a great show of it. But it will be very challenging (just how modelers love it).

The movie is called "Always".

Imagine if you will, fighting a firestorm with an aircraft.

• Profile Photo

I’m thinking you are thinking Wallace and Gromit - with an evil genius penguin?

@jamesb

• Profile Photo
    Paul Mahoney said 5 years, 7 months ago:

Peter - that is a great idea - an A-26 'fire eater' zooming through the smoke at treetop level... so many great ideas here to ponder!
    again, echoing everyone else, I have to say this is an inspiring topic !