Kelly’s Heroes 1/35th scale M4A3 Sherman and Friends

Started by Chuck A. Villanueva · 110 · 3 years ago
  • Profile Photo
    Chuck A. Villanueva said 5 years, 1 month ago:

Always a fun movie to watch. Though fiction its the kind of movie that puts into what ifs and the possibility of such an event. Who knows. A movie that does raises questions of such an adventure. Regardless it it entertaining and fun to watch the plot that is hatched out by Eastwood's character and his motley crew.

The tank used after getting advice with my good freind and resident tanker Louis Gardner, and he advise me to use the Tamiya M4A3 kit 35250 with the 75mm gun, closest tank that represents what was used in the movie. Of course with some movie upgrades as well. Other vehicles, I may toss in is a GMC Cargo 6x6 truck a halftrack may even sneak in a Jeep. Don't know about the Tiger yet.

As I get into it, I will add more features in regard to the film. Now enough with the "negative waves Moriarity" let's ROLL!

1 additional image. Click to enlarge.

• Profile Photo
    david leigh-smith said 5 years, 1 month ago:

“No-one said nuthin’ about locking horns with no Tigers, baby”

Chuck, if I had the time, I’d be doing this one myself. Cannot tell you how many times I’ve seen it. So much so, my son, walking into the tv room last weekend and seeing it on screen said, “this movie always seems to be on TV” (it’s a recording) to which I replied, “yeah, damned schedulers have no imagination”.

One tag line for the movie I saw goes...”Never have so few taken so many for so much.”
    Hope guy that thought that one up got a raise.

Looking forward to seeing some posotive waves on this one, baby.

@uscusn

• Profile Photo

Whats in the box!

31 attached images. Click to enlarge.

• Profile Photo
    Tom Bebout said 5 years, 1 month ago:

Woof, woof Chuck

• Profile Photo
    gary sausmikat said 5 years, 1 month ago:

Chuck. I too watch this movie often. One of my favorites! Though fictional, I have to give credit to the producers, who seem to haven given some thought into making the equipment realistic...especially the "Tigers". Unlike some other so called historical flics produced around the same time, that just grabbed whatever US equipment they could use. A M47 Patton as a Tiger...sorry, no.
    Sorry for all the Negative waves. ...LOL
    Good luck with the build...it will be a fun one.

• Profile Photo
    George Henderson said 5 years, 1 month ago:

Nice choice Chuck. Not a treadhead but this is high on my list of all time favourites.

• Profile Photo

Yeah Tom, one of several moments in the movie.
    Gary, from time to time channel surfing, if I stumble on the movie while playing, I will stop watch it no matter in what point of the movie is on at that moment. And true that the equipment used on the US side was pretty close what was operating in theatre. They did the best they could on the Tiger, it looked like a Tiger. Not exactly but close enough to get its shape.
    George, love the Avatar pic. Very appropriate.

• Profile Photo
    Louis Gardner said 5 years, 1 month ago:

This is going to be a great one to watch coming together. It’s one of my favorite movies too, even though it’s fictional. I’ll watch it anytime it’s on TV as well.

Excellent choice !

“Sometimes we shoot paint canister rounds. It’s paints a pretty picture !”

That was a paint round ! Reload !”

Have a little faith baby !

“I’ve been working on the railroad...”

Here’s a little close up of oddball and his crew with Clint standing beside him.

And just in case you have time to build up a “T-34 / Tiger” I found these too.

I’ll be looking forward to seeing your next installment.

• Profile Photo

Thanks Louis, with your inspiration on your Fury tank build, I will watch that build as it comes along taking notes as this one progresses.

• Profile Photo
    Chuck A. Villanueva said 5 years ago:

To keep up with Louis and his Easy 8 Sherman. It was time to start cutting plastic on my own earlier M4E3 tank. Though a later Tamiya produced kit it is a later version of the Sherman, with two types of road wheels, smooth or spoked. So starting with step one the cockpit, ooops I mean the idler and drive sprockets.

First the idlers, which are 6 pieces, wheels, center cap and poly caps.

Insert the poly caps in the hub and then attach the center covers or bolt them on.

The drive sprockets same process. Insert and assemble and that completes step one. Off to a roaring start. More to follow.

• Profile Photo
    Michael E Rieth said 5 years ago:

I'm a member of the National WWII Museum and I was emailed this link. Podcast about Kelly's Heroes. It might be interesting and helpful to your build.
    https://www.nationalww2museum.org/war/service-celluloid-podcast

• Profile Photo
    Chuck A. Villanueva said 4 years, 12 months ago:

Wow Mike that is an honor. And I really loved and appreciate the link. I listened to the whole pod cast in regard to the movie. What was uncanny was the one gentleman stating exactly how I felt anytime the movie is on if I happen to see it is on while clicking through the channels. Stop and watch it no matter where the movie is at the moment, start, middle, at the ending. Thank you so much.

• Profile Photo
    Chuck A. Villanueva said 4 years, 12 months ago:

Step 2 is to build the road wheel assemblies. This kit supplies an early and late style of road wheel. The tank appearing in the movie are running on the earlier style spoked road wheels and these are provided in the kit.

Before cutting parts off the sprue. I will paint the wheels and components Lifecolor Faded Olive Drab. Then I will paint the tires using Tamiya Rubber Black.

The wheel trucks are also painted OD as these will be harder to paint later when they are assemble with the wheels. As well as the return rollers and coil springs.

Next are removing the parts I will use in this step as I will assemble 6 sub assemblies. 12 wheels, 6 return rollers and 6 spring sets.

First set starts with the main wheel truck assy halves. I also painted the inner sides as well.

Then attach one coil spring set into the inner half of the wheel truck.

Then a return roller with the holes facing out is next slipped onto the stub axle. This will be sandwiched between the 2 halves allowing it to spin freely.

Next 2 road wheels are slipped on to the stub axles on the outer half and then sandwiched as I assemble the truck assy into one main road wheel set.

Then start over and assemble the other 5 road wheel trucks and we are done with this part of the build. Next up attaching the wheels assemblies to the lower hull. More to follow.

• Profile Photo
    Chuck A. Villanueva said 4 years, 11 months ago:

This session I will work basically on the 1 piece lower hull, starting with the wheel truck assy's idler and drive sprockets. 1st the idler and drive sprockets. With the polycaps in place just press into each stub axle. The cover plate is installed before attaching the drive sprocket.

Next to install the wheel assy's, 3 on each side.

Next up is to prepare and install the front and rear plates on the lower hull.

First install the front plate which wraps under the front of the hull.

Next the top brace which also houses the bolts that attaches the front plate to the hull on the real tank.

Now working on the rear of the lower hull. The rear plate is installed.

Now the detail bits. First the hitch and bracket.

And finally the idler stub axle covers.

The exhaust tail pipes I will install at a later point of the build. More to follow.

• Profile Photo
    david leigh-smith said 4 years, 11 months ago:

Loving this thread, baby, plenty positive waves.

Woof, woof.