Kelly’s Heroes 1/35th scale M4A3 Sherman and Friends

Started by Chuck A. Villanueva · 110 · 3 years ago
  • Profile Photo
    Chuck A. Villanueva said 4 years, 6 months ago:

Quick update on the Jeep. installing the leaf springs, exhaust pipe and skid plate.

10 attached images. Click to enlarge.

• Profile Photo
    James B Robinson said 4 years, 6 months ago:
  • Profile Photo

No can't say that I have, but that is so cool. I was kicking it around to build a Tiger as well, but it would not have been in the scene at this point of the movie with the current 4 vehicles I have in the scene. But quite tempting. Too bad it is in 48th scale.

• Profile Photo
    James B Robinson said 4 years, 6 months ago:

Whoops, didn't pay attention to the scale, but most of the items on Shapeways can be re-scaled to suit. Just an idea.

• Profile Photo

james, it's the thought that counts.

• Profile Photo
    Chuck A. Villanueva said 4 years, 5 months ago:

Time to get back into the swing of things. Will work on the road wheels and drive sprockets. Dragon really hit a home run with the intricate fine details in plastic. Thin to almost exact scale thickness. What is really nice is that there is absolutely no flash to clean up with in the spokes.

Another nice touch is the spoked wheels are already removed from the sprues and in separate baggies with in the kit. So limits any chances of broken wheels. They do look fragile, they are actually quite sturdy.

Still carefully remove the inner sprue nubs to avoid any oopsy disasters in cleaning up the sprue nubs within the wheel openings. The inner sprockets are attached to the wheels.

Then sprocket will be sandwiched between the wheel baskets. Two are completed for this phase of the build.

Next the rear drive wheels are assembled. Excellent fit here. So far the kit is going together well.

Next is to assemble the radiator and fan shroud.

The radiator is painted semi gloss black, the shroud is Nato Black.

Next is to continue adding the sub assemblies to the frame. More to follow.

• Profile Photo
    Louis Gardner said 4 years, 5 months ago:

Amazing... the details packed into this Half Track are unreal. It seriously looks as if they somehow managed to shrink some real sprocket and idler parts down 35 times in miniature. Imagine how good they will look once painted, like you have done with the radiator, which looks real. Very impressive work.

• Profile Photo
    Chuck A. Villanueva said 4 years, 5 months ago:

This Dragon kit is the bomb, The details are very good, lots of bits and pieces, the frame is very detailed. So far it is easy to work with just careful with the smaller detail parts. The radiators used back in those days should be copper, so was thinking of dry brushing some copper over the cooling fins though you probably won't get to see once the body is attached.

• Profile Photo
    Chuck A. Villanueva said 4 years, 4 months ago:

After a bit of time, back to the Sherman. Will work on adding the details onto the upper hull.

On the rear panel, the jack handle is stored under the storage shelf that is mounted behind the rear body panel.

Then the shelf is attached over the handle.

Next the 2 support braces are attached to the shelf.

2 taillamp assy's are removed, cleaned and attached to each side of the rear deck.

The .30 machine gun mount on the front armor plate is removed and then installed on the front fascia

A pair of headlamps are then attached to the front armor plate.

Then finally the spot lamp is attached next to the LH headlamp assy.

The tank in the movie has the barrel lock removed, so I will leave it off on this tank.

Next more work on the upper hull and turret.

More to follow...

• Profile Photo
    Chuck A. Villanueva said 4 years, 4 months ago:

Time to do some more work on the Jeep. With the work on the frame and suspension completed. Now to do some body work.

The details under the body are well done under the body pan. First piece to attach is the fuel tank. which the bottom half is attached under the drivers side of the lower pan.

Next the steering column and manual gear box is inserted in the hole in the lower firewall.

The upper section of the firewall is then attached to the lower section in the front of the passenger compartment.

Now the top half of the fuel tank is place on the LH side of the floor. This sits directly under the driver seat.

18 additional images. Click to enlarge.

• Profile Photo
    Chuck A. Villanueva said 4 years, 3 months ago:

Now to assemble and paint the road wheels.

15 attached images. Click to enlarge.

• Profile Photo

Working on the halftrack, each road wheel truck assy is made up of 18 pieces. Not including the tracks.

1st we assemble the coil springs and perches.

Then attach the road wheel trailing arms

Next assemble the idler wheels, and snap it on top of the truck assy, 1 for each side. The frame bracket is also attached.

Then taking the full 1 piece frame, remove the center brace and mold pins.

• Profile Photo

Finally getting to work on the turret.

The turret is in upper and lower halves are assembled. Next is to clean up the seams. This is not too difficult as most of the seam will be hidden with supplies.

Now to start adding some of the detail bits on the turret, first a pair of rear brackets that attach to the rear outer section of the turret.

Then some lifting rings are attached on the rear 1/4 sides of the turret and one on the front part of the turret.

The loader hatch is installed in the close position.

Next the rear antenna mount is attached at the center of the rear of the turret.

Finally the antenna mount is place into the antenna base located behind the loaders hatch.

And next will add the commander cupola and the barrel to complete the turret.

more to follow.

• Profile Photo
    Jeff Bailey said 4 years, 3 months ago:

Really looking good, Chuck! The whole project is coming together in a very spectacular way. Having a Tiger would be nice, but getting a T34/Tiger may be problematic ... if you're reproducing the movie Tiger, that is. I've been around a real Tiger 1 (as well as several Tiger 2 types) and it's a real beast! Keep up the great work ... I've not posted much since October, but I'm still around - lurking and peeking.

• Profile Photo

Good morning Jeff, Happy New Year, miss ya pal, it has been awhile. Hope things are well with you and the family. I was going to do the Tiger, but I am doing a scene that takes place earlier in the movie. Right before the friendly fire with the I think may have been a P-47 or Mustang.