Kelly’s Heroes 1/35th scale M4A3 Sherman and Friends

Started by Chuck A. Villanueva · 110 · 3 years ago
  • Profile Photo
    Chuck A. Villanueva said 4 years, 1 month ago:

With the tracks installed, now time to work on the front wheels and bumper.

Another nice touch is the weighted tires that Dragon provides in the kit. Painted OD and Tamiya Rubber Black is used on the tires.

The front break drums are painted and then attached to the back of the wheels.

Check for the notch as you mount the wheels, it is a oneway fit so the weighted part of the tire is on the surface. Not exactly a positive fit, so be careful here.

Once the wheels are done, now to assemble the front bumper and roller.

The frame extension and face bar is assembled and attached to the front frame section.

Next the PE reinforcement plates are then attached on top of the bumper bar.

The roller comes in 2 pieces, which leaves a seam right in the middle.

Next the side support brackets are attached and then the whole assembly is placed on the front bumper.

Next up, start work on the body.

• Profile Photo
    James B Robinson said 4 years, 1 month ago:

Coming right along Chuck @uscusn, looking great! Question, I noticed earlier that you did a wash on the tires for one of the vehicles. What did you use to thin the Polly Scale Mud and what percentage of mixture? Looked really good.

• Profile Photo

I take a #3 brush and slather the whole tire with Polly Scale Mud. It is acrylic, while wet/damp, I take a cotton swab and with a damp tip wipe off the access on the surface of the tire while letting the mud accumulate in the the treads and rim of the wheel. And finally dry brushed with mud to streak out wards away from the rim as if the tire is rotating while the vehicle is driving. Well try at least. Practice each time for a road vehicle. Weathering armor is much more different than doing an airplane. An armored vehicle tank or soft skin your at liberty to do as much as you want according to the environment the vehicle is operating, winter, grassland, desert, or in the jungles. While you can overdo an airplane.

• Profile Photo
    James B Robinson said 4 years, 1 month ago:

Cool. I wasn't sure if you thinned it before, like a wash one would do on an A/C interior. Thanks for the explanation/lesson!

• Profile Photo

Before assembling the bed. First to install the headlamps and place them on the front fenders.

Then the windshield glass is installed on the frame.

Next to start to assemble the bed.

The floor of the bed and front panel. The bottom side has been already painted Olive Drab.

The front and RH side panel of the bed are attached to the floor.

Next the tail gate panel is attached to the floor and RH side panel.

Once the LH side panel is installed, everything aligns up properly. No issues to this part of the build.

I place the bed assembly temporarily to check fit and alignment. All is well.

The mounting points to frame match perfectly, nice and level alignment.

Pulling the bed off, next is to install the fender mud flaps.

Fenders and braces for the front section under the bed.

Rear fender/mud flaps and braces and counter weights?

One of the counter weights had a deep sink hole filled.

The forward flaps and braces are attached,

Rearward flaps are assembled, check to make sure the reflector lens faces outboard before attaching to the bed.

The basic bed assy is completed. Next will get it painted and attach the detail bits. More to follow.'

1 additional image. Click to enlarge.

• Profile Photo
    david leigh-smith said 4 years, 1 month ago:

Rocking, baby. Surfing those positive waves.

• Profile Photo

The Jeep is done, now to add some cargo and accessories.

Rolled up canvas on the front bumper, a pair of Jerry cans stored on the RH rear of compartment.

Getting a set of wooden crates set from Red Dog Resin painted brown.

The pail is painted Dark Grey this will be carried by the Sherman.

The resin flash was removed from the crate and a watered down Acrylic Wood Tan was applied on the crate.

The crate is placed in the LH rear compartment right behind the drivers seat.

Then a water can or what would in the modern world a cooler/container. Is painted a mixture of steel and aluminum to give it a galvanized steel look.

It in placed in the LH rear corner of the Jeep.

More accessories to follow.

1 additional image. Click to enlarge.

• Profile Photo
    Paul Barber said 4 years, 1 month ago:

Beautiful work, Chuck! This is just a fantastic combination. Can’t wait to see them line up!

• Profile Photo
    david leigh-smith said 4 years, 1 month ago:

Great work, as Paul so rightly says. Are you going to stick some tiny gold bars in that ammo box?

• Profile Photo

Thanks Paul & D-L, weathering and working on the various accessories have really exercised my skills in weathering, aging, just plain wear and tear techniques. Kinda fun really.

• Profile Photo

Getting back to the motor carriage, start work on the cab section.

Will encounter a hiccup here but easily repairable. I will point that out when I get to that point.

First I painted the under side of the floor OD. Next the battery box and basket is installed under the RH side of floor.

Seat cushions for the front seats are next. Some have been critical that the wrinkles on both seats are identical which they are and really not an issue to nit pick. The details are very nice on the cushions.

Step bar is trimmed and installed on the RH passenger footwell. Little detail bits such as this makes this kit much more pleasant to work on despite the extra detail parts.

part B4 is the battery box cover that sits on the RH side outer step. But the exact location where to place it is vague in the instruction sheet. Later on when I get to the side hood panels. It becomes a problem.

Next is this contraption that sits in front of the RH passenger side mounted on the firewall. I just going to guess its part of the jack kit to change the front wheels.

One of two transfer case levers mounted offset to the right on the floor plate.

Then the emergency brake lever is installed.

Manual trans shift lever is next to be installed in place.

Finally the reserve oil tank is attached in place on the center portion on the firewall.

Next to complete the front cab section. more to follow.

• Profile Photo
    Chuck A. Villanueva said 4 years ago:

An update on the 6x6. Painting the bed assy and adding the seats and pioneer tools.

Using 2 shades of Lifecolor Od to get the hi lo affect on the final finish.

Next a wash of Mig Brown enamel is applied all around the sides, front and rear panels.

Very subtle in appearance as I will try to build up the effect a bit later to give the framework a bit more pop.

Test fitting the bed on the truck for alignment. Looking good so far fit wise.

Next to install the wooden bench seats which will be in the stowed folded up position. The folding leg supports are stowed under the bench seats.

They are placed on each seat brace. There are 5 on each side.

Then each seat assy are placed on each side of the bed assembly. These are shaded a bit darker as this side is facing down when they are being used, so they don't fade as fast under the sun compared to the rest of the bed.

Next to paint and detail the pioneer tool kit and attached it to the LH front corner of the bed.

Next is to build and install the gun ring. More to follow.

• Profile Photo
    James B Robinson said 4 years ago:

Really liking what I'm seeing here. I've got a future Dio rattling around in my brain, just might have to pick up one of these kits. Great vibes coming off of this one Chuck!

@uscusn

• Profile Photo

Thanks James, I will have a dio for these 4 vehicles, from a scene in the movie.

• Profile Photo

Finally getting back to the motor carriage. With the cab interior bits mostly installed, time to work on the body panels and exterior of the cab.

Prepainted the interior sections of the body panels with Mission Models Olive Drab.

The previous step had you place the battery box along the RH side of the cab on the running board, but the placement is vague in where to actually put it. But as I prepared to attach the RH side cab/door opening panel. There was no way that it would go on without removing the already installed battery box cover, so I had to peel it off and then re-attach once the side panel was installed. Otherwise so far the main components fit very well.

Next to attach the LH side cab panel. What is nice so far is the parts fit in place. No gaps or mis-alignments that you might expect. Just be patient. The only issue is some of the steps in the instruction sheet are a bit vague in where to locate or place some of the detail pieces which there are quite a few.

The view from the rear of the cab, shows both side panels installed. The plastic is true no warpage of any kind. The rivet details on the panels are well done as it has been through out the kit. The diamond plate on the floor is well represented.

The shifter knobs painted glossy black and the clutch/brake and accelerator pedals are painted Nato Black.

The dash is well detailed with the tach and speedo gauges painted white.

Finally a dirty wash and some silver pencil to pick out the highlights within the cab.

more to follow.