Mig – 28 Top Gun

Started by David Mills · 18 · 5 years ago · Mig 28, Movies, Top Gun
  • Profile Photo
    David Mills said 5 years, 6 months ago:

This one is in honour of all those aircraft forced to be something they are not.
    Me 108's as Me 109's, Mustangs as Me 109's, Harvards as Zero's (or just about anything with a radial engine) Tiger Moths as just about any biplane.
    The Mig 28 was one of the best looking 'enemy' aircraft on film ever and deserves its place here.
    I will be building the two seat version put out by Revell in 1/48.
    Might try and slip it into the Mig group build as well.

2 attached images. Click to enlarge.

• Profile Photo
    david leigh-smith said 5 years, 6 months ago:

I was just having this exact ‘conversation’ with Sebastijan the other day about his proposed MiG group build - sent him a message saying I’ll build a ‘28. Took him about three seconds to respond.

• Profile Photo

Shame that David@dirtylittlefokker- don't let me put you off though - there is always the single seater!

• Profile Photo
    Jeff Bailey said 5 years, 6 months ago:

Well, as Hollyweird goes, the Mig 28 used in Top Gun WAS one of the finest aircraft used in a movie.;

Thank God for 'Tora - Tora - Tora' or there would have NEVER been any other Japanese planes reproduced as accurately as they did the Val and the Kates. We'd have only had the same, old Texans playing everything Japanese. When they took an AT-6 and married part of it to part of a BT-13, they did an awesome job. Everything considered, they did a fantastic job with what was available.

• Profile Photo

Thanks Jeff@mikegolf - the Mig 28 also looks good in black !
    Will have to have a look at Tora Tora Tora again haven't watched it in ages!

• Profile Photo
    Peter Hausamann said 5 years, 6 months ago:

David, are you going to Mig 28 in a diorama?

• Profile Photo
    Jeff Bailey said 5 years, 6 months ago:

David @davem you really SHOULD watch Tora-Tora-Tora again - as should the others and anyone else who wants to watch a good movie with some great flying. Besides, we should NEVER get complacent regarding National security. This movie kind of rams that fact home. Besides, as I mentioned before, the airplanes used are GREAT in it! I just watched it last week followed by Midway. They're still fresh.

• Profile Photo

Jeff, I've watched that movie many times. Just to throw a curve ball. . . 😉

[after seeing one of his pilots miss a practice bombing target]
    Admiral William F. Halsey : "Well, you can tell Lt. Dickinson from me, he couldn't hit a bull in the butt with a bass fiddle".

• Profile Photo

Peter, in Scotland we’d say, “couldn’t hit a cow’s @ss with a banjo”.

• Profile Photo

Ha ha ha. Didn't know they had banjos in Scotland.

• Profile Photo

Haven’t lived in the old country for some 20 years but yes, banjos are as common as coronary heart disease in Scotland, which is to say, very.

• Profile Photo
    Jaime Carreon said 5 years, 6 months ago:

Or, as Adm. Halsey quoted in the movie "Midway", "He couldn't hit a bull in the butt with a bass fiddle..."

• Profile Photo

Got to love Halsey (please place the quote below in the context of the time);

“Before we're through with them, the Japanese language will be spoken only in hell”.

• Profile Photo

Hi Peter@tecko the answer is yes. I am mulling over ideas at the moment, but thinking of something pre-takeoff.

• Profile Photo

That sounds great.

I saw in another forum a modeler who made a hangar out of cardboard _ it looked quite good. Then he made many different aircraft. Each one got presented at various stages of aircraft activity in and out of the hangar, including pre-flight.