Peter O’Toole on ”Lawrence of Arabia” and Rudger Hauer on ”Blade Runner”

Started by Adolfo Coelho · 19 · 5 years ago
  • Profile Photo
    Adolfo Coelho said 5 years, 7 months ago:

Ok, here go the links and pics I couldn't post on the Group's formation thread:

Peter O'Toole in "Lawrence of Arabia" bust:

Lawrence of Arabia, Aqaba, 1917
    Rudger Hauer in "Blade Runner" bust: https://shop.bestsoldiershop.com/epages/14739.sf/en_GB/?ObjectPath=/Shops/14739/Products/ON_BU001_Bustsupport Cheers! Dolf
  • Profile Photo
    James B Robinson said 5 years, 7 months ago:

This is going to be EPIC!

• Profile Photo
    Jeff Bailey said 5 years, 7 months ago:

I always liked the bird ...

• Profile Photo
    david leigh-smith said 5 years, 7 months ago:

Dolf, this is amazing. What a start - you are right, it’s such a classic scene and just the thing I was hoping iModelers would respond with. Great imagination and I cannot wait to see what you come up with my friend.

• Profile Photo
    Adolfo Coelho said 5 years, 7 months ago:

David (@dirtylittlefokker)

Ordered the Lawrence of Arabia/Peter O'Toole bust (from a retailer in your country), hopefully it should arrive next week 😉

Then will have to get the appropriate oil paints for it, and then will be able to start working on this project (which will be my first bust!) .

What are the deadlines, btw? Will have to find your original thread about this new group, believe that info is in there.

EDIT: can't seem to find it 🙁 So the info about the deadlines is welcome. Thanks.

Cheers!

Dolf

• Profile Photo
    david leigh-smith said 5 years, 6 months ago:

Hi, Dolf.
    Fantastic news on your project, a perfect fit for the group. There’s a really long lead time on this group. I wanted to respect the other group builds that are currently running, both of which I also have builds in progress for. So, deadline is Christmas 2019 - during those holidays we will post categories and select winners. The final reveal will be on Oscars night 2020 (when we’ll have a rather more subversive ceremony to what Hollywood offers) to showcase the builds. All of this is on the original post for the group.

Another reason for the long deadline is that there are a lot of our fraternity who work away, have projects lined up, or have ‘mojo’ problems (don’t we all?). Having a full year to think, plan, and execute may seem excessive - but in the modelers world it’s the blink of an eye. I’ll be cheerleading and recruiting through the year so I’m hoping there will be a consistent stream of joiners and the long lead time will allow us to have as many on board as possible to capture a trully inclusive group build.

Thanks again, Dolf - I know you are stretching your comfort zone on this one, but that’s how we learn.

Cheers!

@dolfdylan

• Profile Photo
    Adolfo Coelho said 5 years, 6 months ago:

Good to know about the rather long deadline 😉

I think I'm slowly "converting" to figures and busts (and oil paints & acrylics, instead of more traditional modeling, and enamel paint), so it should be my new comfort zone from now on, no worry about that 🙂

Cheers!

Dolf

• Profile Photo
    Chaz Sutherland said 5 years, 6 months ago:

I'm glad to see I'm not alone in wanting to do a figure for this build. I'll be watching this thread for sure. I'm also glad you asked about the deadline. Up until now I was sweating it since the date in my brain was Christmas 2018. #HugeExhale

• Profile Photo

Chaz (@cybergolem)

"Up until now I was sweating it since the date in my brain was Christmas 2018. #HugeExhale"

Lol... Same here 🙂
    Luckily David clarified that in his previous post. I also felt relieved! Ha!Ha!...

Yes, we are already at least two going for figures (well, in my case a bust, or maybe two, if time and opportunity allows), so welcome to the "club" (and of course to iModeler and the iModeler at the Movies Group 🙂 ) .

Cheers!

Dolf

• Profile Photo
    david leigh-smith said 5 years, 6 months ago:

Thank you for the feedback, gentlemen. It’s absolutely fantastic that we have some figures/busts for this group. Stand easy with the deadline, hey, maybe even add a build or two!

@dolfdylan
    @cybergolem

• Profile Photo

"Stand easy with the deadline, hey, maybe even add a build or two!"

With such a deadline the time factor is resolved, there will be plenty of it 😉

Now there are other factors that as far as I'm concerned might be an issue, but there's always a solution to everything (I may need a little help and cooperation from other modelers), so I'll see, as time goes by...

Cheers!

Dolf

• Profile Photo
    Peter Hausamann said 5 years, 6 months ago:

Glad to see you are creating two movie busts. Both are very different and challanging if you plan to recreate the images shown. One is colourful in a dry setting, and the other is more monotone in a wet setting. Good choice of extremes in my humble opinion.

Dolf, hope you will show steps of how you create these. I am new to, and very interested in, this modelling genre.

• Profile Photo

Peter (@tecko)

"Glad to see you are creating two movie busts."

I don't know yet if that will be possible! For now it's just an idea, mainly because of the long deadline, which would allow it.
    I love that other bust of Rudger Hauer in Blane Runner, but there are other factors involved, so will have to see.

For now I'm starting with Lawrence of Arabia (should receive the bust next week, if everything goes right), but I still lack of some essential tools, including oils that I don't have yet for the entire painting (I already have some, but not all that I need) .
    Oils take a long time to dry, so usually working with them is by phases. Hence painting a bust with oils is usually a long time project.

"Dolf, hope you will show steps of how you create these. I am new to, and very interested in, this modelling genre."

Yes, I intend to do that, create a WIP thread, as the painting goes.

Notice that I'm also absolutely new to this, I'm now learning, so it will be my first bust, and my first experience painting a whole figure with oils (I've used oils already, but only for flesh on some figures, and imitating leather, that's it) .
    Furthermore, I'll probably be using a technique that is not the one more often used, so... will see...

Cheers!

Dolf

• Profile Photo

Got my Lawrence of Arabia bust today! A beauty!
    Well, just a bit small in scale (1/24) for my eyes, so after I buy a magnifier and get all the oils and brushes I need, I'll start working on this one, and will post pics as I progress.

In the meantime have been finding a whole lot of figures and busts of actors on films! There are quite a few in fact! Some in larger scales (1/12, 1/10, 1/9) ...

Cheers!

Dolf

• Profile Photo

Some more busts from actors in movies we all know, that might interest some of the participants on the BG:

Robert de Niro, on "Taxi Driver":

http://www.pegasomodels.it/productdetails_en.asp?id=753

Brad Pitt on "Fury":

Hell on Wheels - 2nd Armored Div, WWII

Brad Pitt again on "Achiles":

Achilles 1200BC (Modified Design of YH1807)

Russel Crowe, on "Master & Commander":

Royal Navy Captain 1806 "Lucky Jack"

Sean Connery as a Templar Knight in Jerusalem (can't remember in which film) :

Templar Knight in Jerusalem

And there are plenty more...

Cheers!

Dolf