"Sink the Bismarck” PBY Catalina

Started by David A. Thomas · 9 · 5 years ago
  • Profile Photo
    David A. Thomas said 5 years, 6 months ago:

OK, I've just sent my mea culpa to Paul Barber for washing out of the RAF build. I underwent a job/career change and moved, a process I am still walking through. Paul was very gracious, and encouraged me in this GB initiated by my dear friend, David Leigh-Smith. Since David has set an end date of some 14 months out, I think I can commit.

This is my attempt at both redemption and participation, as well as scratching a lifelong itch. I intend to build the Coastal Command version of the PBY-5 Catalina, specifically the "WQ-Z" flying boat that re-established visual with the Bismarck in the search and destroy efforts by the Royal Navy that ultimately led to her demise in May, 1941. The Catalina scored a cameo in the WW2 classic Sink the Bismarck! (1960). (You can see the whole thing on YouTube, by the way.) In so doing, I will fulfill my lifelong dream of building a Catalina, I will give a nod to the RAF--a specimen of which I have not yet built since my return to modeling, and I will present a plane from a Hollywood flick. Furthermore, the history of this aircraft and its epic role in the death of Bismarck is fascinating to me and speaks to the trans-Atlantic alliances I have enjoyed so much on this site: Catalina WQ-Z was co-piloted by a combined British and American flight crew, even though America was not officially in the War yet.

A couple of items: I will be building the Revell PBY-5 1:48 edition of the plane. Oddly, I purchased this kit at a bargain price while in Ecuador last summer. I will have to hunt decals as the plane hunted her quarry, and if push comes to shove I will print my own. I intend on a "wheels up" presentation (again), as few birds are more ungainly wheels down that the Catalina, and few more inspiring while in flight.

Comments welcome.

2 attached images. Click to enlarge.

• Profile Photo
    david leigh-smith said 5 years, 6 months ago:

“A lifelong itch” - absolute music to my ears. We’ve had a few iModelers who have voiced similar sentiments and it’s lovely that this group can be the catalyst for ‘bucket list’ builds. Oh, now THERE’S a title for a group build...

This is an amazing plan for a build; it’s a hugely important junction in history, agripping story, and for my money the Catalina is a gorgeous aircraft. This is a great choice, and yes, the lead time is pretty relaxed...

I’m so pleased to have you on the team; Paul will be delighted you are building an RAF girl and I’m happy to ‘share’ the Cat with the RAF tribute.

Thank you David. She’ll be a classic.

• Profile Photo
    Peter Hausamann said 5 years, 6 months ago:

Great choice of aircraft. It has elements which links my psyche, for some reason, to the flying gecko. Similar to the Caribou looking like a parrot. Both have a 'live' appearance to it which I like about these aircraft.

Looking forward to watching this build.

• Profile Photo
    Jeff Bailey said 5 years, 6 months ago:

Good choice, David! I have a real soft spot in my heart for the PBY. As I've mentioned, my Dad flew Navy during WWII. SBDs, TBM/TBFs, F6Fs, SB2Cs, F4Fs, and others. Late in the war he was posted to Hawaii where he ferried numerous aircraft as well as flying SAR missions (Search & Rescue - SAR is a modern term, I think) in Ducks, OS2Us ... and PBYs. He said that of all the planes he flew - and there were many - he liked flying the Pby best. Because of that I had his tombstone engraved with a PBY flying into the sunset. It's kinda hard to see the sunset on Granite, but the plane is easily recognised. If you're interested and don't think me too morbid, here it is ...

1 attached image. Click to enlarge.

• Profile Photo
    Jeff Bailey said 5 years, 6 months ago:

The stone carving was done by my (then) Father-in-Law, Kenneth Wellman, a former US Navy cook. Though his Daughter & I split over 35 years ago, I miss her Father. He was a pretty cool old gent and had a LOT of artistic talent.

• Profile Photo
    David A. Thomas said 5 years, 6 months ago:

David, I really appreciate it, brother! I hope to do her justice.

Peter, what great pics! I really agree about the Catalina--she's somehow so graceful. And I am absolutely fascinated by waterbirds--the Kingfisher, the Japanese "Pete" and "Rufe," the Walrus, etc. But the Catalina is so big somehow her size makes her ungainliness even more a thing of grace in flight. That huge mounted single wing with two little motors giving it such range...just very cool.

Jeff, thanks for the kind note. So cool your dad flew all those planes but loved the Cat the best. Not morbid at all on the headstone--that's a celebration of life.

• Profile Photo
    David Mills said 5 years, 6 months ago:

Good choice David, the Cat always seemed to have the knack of making crucial spots - the Bismark, Midway to name a couple.
    Best of Luck with the move!

• Profile Photo
    James B Robinson said 5 years, 6 months ago:

Glad you are in the group David. The Catalina is also one of my favorites. Look forward to following your build.

• Profile Photo
    Louis Gardner said 5 years, 6 months ago:

David my dear friend... welcome !

As usual, you have picked an excellent one to build. If it turns out like your A-20 (or your Grandpa's Ambulance), you will steal the show...

Like the rest, I'll be watching !