Spielberg Movie With a Shark Mouth

Started by Michael E Rieth · 154 · 4 years ago
  • Profile Photo
    Michael E Rieth said 4 years, 10 months ago:

Welcome Greg. Glad you found it. The small touches will add up to a large scene, possibly 19" x 36".

• Profile Photo
    Robert Royes said 4 years, 10 months ago:

'Duel' still a great film. The build is looking great !

• Profile Photo

1941 was filmed from the left front and right front. Duel was filmed from the right front and rear, giving me an almost 360 view of the buildings. The buildings were similar with a porch added for 1941.

• Profile Photo
    Tom Cleaver said 4 years, 10 months ago:

You look at "Duel" and you see everything Spielberg was going to do, issues he was going to deal with and how he was going to do both over the next 45 years. I mean that as a compliment - he already had it together.

• Profile Photo
    Tom Cleaver said 4 years, 10 months ago:

Michael - re: "movie models are so crude" - so true! When "The Right Stuff" was made (first movie I played a minor role in as asst to the Unit Publicist, responsible for driving Chuck Yeager around, which was pretty cool since I got to go flying with him in his Bonanza), they tried to do computer controlled motion and it didn't work. They ended up hanging the X-1 from a line and shooting CO2 "clouds" at it while shooting from below. The "hypersonic tumble" in the X-1A was literally done by throwing 3-foot models of the airplane off the production office roof and shooting them as they fell past the 3rd floor window. The "out of control" NF-104 was Hawk/Testors F-104s dangling from helium balloons and shot against a sky backdrop in the same park where they did the X-1 "flight." All very "old school" but it works.

• Profile Photo

I watched 1941 again the other night for inspiration and to get some more ideas. Much of it was just drivel and pointless. Some of it was funny, some I just didn't understand how someone thought it was funny, like the squeaky doll scene in the cockpit.

It is unfortunate that 1941 became Animal House goes to WWII due to casting and lack of script focus. John Belushi's character, Capt. Wild Bill Kelso, was a continuation of his Animal House persona, John Blutarsky, as was Tim Matheson's Capt. Loomis Birkhead/Eric Stratton. The throw something against the wall to see if it sticks, er, I mean is funny is hit or miss, with a lot of misses.

On the plus side is the use of the miniatures, sets and special effects. They are fantastic. It would have been fun to work on this movie with the large special FX budget.

Here is a great link to the miniatures and Special FX: https://nzpetesmatteshot.blogspot.com/2015/08/1941-special-visual-effects.html

• Profile Photo
    Michael E Rieth said 4 years, 9 months ago:

To quote a line from another movie, American Graffiti, Bob Falfa (Harrison Ford), "Hey, I like the color of your car there, man. What's that supposed to be? Sorta a cross between P**s Yellow and Puke Green, ain't it?"

My custom paint mix is Semi-gloss white, Imperial Japanese Navy underside grey and a few drops of chrome yellow. It is slightly more green than in the photo, which matches the pick up truck in 1941.

I am working on the clear "glass" now.

• Profile Photo
    david leigh-smith said 4 years, 9 months ago:

Funny thing, Michael, I use that Ford quote more than you’d believe. It’s surprising how much you see that awful colo(u)r around.

‘Graffiti’ is a terrific movie.

• Profile Photo
    Robert Royes said 4 years, 9 months ago:

Ditto on the use of that quote. Truck is looking awesome.

• Profile Photo

David, the color is Phoenician Yellow, made popular with the introduction of the 1964 Ford Mustang. After spending hours mixing my paint, I had a car modeler in my club say, "It looks just like Phoenician Yellow". Doh! Model Master makes/made (who knows now with Testors' discontinuing colors) a lacquer spray and not available at my LHS.

I don't think it was the original paint on the P U truck in 1941. Agree, about A. G.

• Profile Photo
    James B Robinson said 4 years, 9 months ago:

Michael @mrieth,
    You probably be know about this site but if you don't, they specialize in automotive color matching.

http://www.scalefinishes.com/welcome.html

I've not tried them yet but plan to in the future.

• Profile Photo

James, thanks for the link, with Testors discontinuing so many colors, alternatives are welcome.

• Profile Photo

Since Hurricane Barry is causing some rain and wind and keeping me from doing anything outside for a few days, I am working on the 1941 diorama. We dodged a bullet, as the wind shear and dry air has kept the storm from getting worse. Luckily, we are not under the feeder bands now that was expected to cause heavy flooding in the Metro New Orleans area. I hope it stays this way and the power doesn't go out. But enough about the weather, on to Al's Gro. & Mkt.

After watching the clips from the movie numerous times and making still images, I created CAD drawings for the grocery store in 1/48th scale. I laser cut the parts and assembled them. I used my wash of Grumbacher Raw Umber Oil Color with 90% Isopropyl Alcohol to weather the wood.

Next step is to drybrush paint the building.

• Profile Photo
    Tom Cleaver said 4 years, 9 months ago:

Fookin' great, Mr. Rieth!

Keep dodging that weather.

• Profile Photo

Thanks Tom and keep dodging the aftershocks.