Spielberg Movie With a Shark Mouth

Started by Michael E Rieth · 154 · 4 years ago
  • Profile Photo
    david leigh-smith said 4 years, 9 months ago:

Stunning work, Michael.

I've been experimenting with that Raw Umber Oil Color with 90% Isopropyl Alcohol wash to weather wood, and initial tests are very promising. Much appreciated.

• Profile Photo
    Erik Gjørup said 4 years, 9 months ago:

This is very well done - hobby turned profession turned hobby I guess makes perfect. Followed with interest.

• Profile Photo
    Michael E Rieth said 4 years, 9 months ago:

David, the wash is great for bringing out the wood grain and darkening the recesses. Hope it helps with your ORCA build.

Erik, the hobby to profession to hobby allows me to get better at both. As a hobby, I build for me and offer to others without the constraints of a commissioned build.

• Profile Photo

4 days of rain and wind from Hurricane Barry (most of the storm flooding missing my area thankfully), kept me inside at the model bench. I was able to accomplish a lot on Al's Groc. and Mkt.

The building has a first dry-brushed coat of paint. It is a little harsh, but will get toned down. The metal porch roof is corrugated styrene sheet with metal HVAC tape applied. It will get dulled down and rusted.

I first thought the roof of the grocery was corrugated from screen shots of Duel, which had a light color. I realized after looking at a 1941 wide shot that the roof has the same green shed roof felt (see page 4) of the shack and gas pump island. The roof was hidden behind trees. Luckily, I hadn't progressed too far with the metal tape.

• Profile Photo
    Tom Cleaver said 4 years, 9 months ago:

Great stuff. Model on!

• Profile Photo
    Greg Kittinger said 4 years, 9 months ago:

A beautiful job of effort and images, along with a great play-by-play. Keep 'em coming!

• Profile Photo

David, Erik, Tom and Greg, thanks for the inspiring words. The mojo is slipping some as I work on the clear windows for the pick-up truck. I just can't get motivated due to shape issues of the kit. Luckily, I can bounce to other things like the buildings and come back later.

• Profile Photo
    Michael E Rieth said 4 years, 8 months ago:

I finished making and putting in the clear windows from .030" clear sheet in the cab. I assembled the major components. The scratch-built running boards look good with a little dry brushing and the scratch-built bed fits nicely also. I forgot to take a photo of the dashboard, which has some dials I scavenged from an old Monogram Promodeler instrument decal sheet.

The kit came with big truck tires and rims, but I need smaller pick up truck tires/rims. I found some 1/43 scale p u trucks online and will steal the wheels.

There is some warpage to the kit resin chassis that I have to deal with. This part of the build has been fighting me some and not as enjoyable, but moving on.

• Profile Photo
    Erik Gjørup said 4 years, 8 months ago:

It is a looker I think - thanks for the words on the issues on this one - I was considering ordering some stuff from that company, and will just give it a second thought. Hope the mojo creeps back with some buildingbuilding 🙂

• Profile Photo
    david leigh-smith said 4 years, 7 months ago:

Michael, I hope that mojo is returning...been through something similar recently. Hey, a bad day at the bench beats a good day in the real world. Anytime.

• Profile Photo
    Michael E Rieth said 4 years, 7 months ago:

David, Thanks for the pep talk. I'm back from "holiday" as you guys like to call it. I had a vacation planned to Disney World Sept. 1-8 to visit my son who works there, haven't seen him in a year, and his birthday was on 9/5. Spent the week before fretting about Hurricane Dorian, looking over various weather websites and spaghetti models, forecasts and such.

Decided to go 24 hours before. Glad we went. Dorian turned and missed us, but so sorry for the Bahamas. Low crowds. Spent time with my son. Went to new Star Wars land, the detail is amazing. Every park is an inspiration to diorama creators, as they are full size dioramas. Found something in Animal Kingdom to remind me about the 1941 diorama and to get back on when I returned.

The pump on the left is the right height although the gas pump on the right is closer to the style of my models. I'm thinking I can use the white areas for the decals.

• Profile Photo
    david leigh-smith said 4 years, 7 months ago:

Excellent, Michael. Very pleased that Dorian missed you (although my thoughts are with all Bahamians).

Lovely to see you; very, very best wishes.

• Profile Photo
    Michael E Rieth said 4 years, 6 months ago:

It has been a couple of months since I was able to do some work on the diorama. I have been trying to figure out the base layout and dimensions. The movie has this scene really spread out. To keep the base manageable, I had to shorten the distance between the P-40 and the buildings. The gas pumps should be in front of the yellow shack to the right, but I had to move it left to try to fill the negative space.

I cut 1/8" plywood 24" x 26" and made a frame underneath for rigidity, which was painted black. I found corrugated metal roofing that had better ridge spacing. I have a stand-in pilot figure that I will have to modify by fattening up, raise his right arm and remove his parachute.

• Profile Photo
    James B Robinson said 4 years, 6 months ago:

Really like how this is evolving Michael, very promising!

• Profile Photo
    Michael E Rieth said 4 years, 5 months ago:

I started a collaboration with a 3D printing company to expand my model making business, so I haven't had much time to work on the 1941 diorama. I did manage to put "rusted" metal corrugation on the roof of the porch. The window frames were painted brown. I laser cut the 2 clear acrylic sidewalk pieces, which are sitting on the brown chipboard. I discovered, I should have made the Ice Box shed wider.

I have also been learning Adobe Illustrator for the artwork for the signs needed for the scene.