Thanks for the invite. Black Sheep for me!

Started by Robert Paschall · 28 · 5 years ago
  • Profile Photo
    Robert Paschall said 5 years, 6 months ago:

Yes, there will be Corsairs. At least I hope I've got the bench together by then!

• Profile Photo
    david leigh-smith said 5 years, 6 months ago:

Robert, I was waiting and hoping for Black Sheep Squadron to make an appearance. And you just made Louis ( @lgardner ) a happy man.

• Profile Photo
    Jeff Bailey said 5 years, 6 months ago:

Uh ... Louis isn’t the Lone Ranger there ... I LOVE the old Black Sheep Squadron shows in all their goofiness. For TV it had some decent flying scenes.

• Profile Photo

It involves Corsairs, of course Louis will be happy!

• Profile Photo

Not only will my former DAT Brother Louis be happy to see Corsairs, but our very own Jim Sullivan, Mr. Corsair ... certainly will be too!
    @bentwing

• Profile Photo

True, Jeff. Between them, Vought, Brewster, and Goodyear manufactured over twelve and a half thousand Corsairs. I think Jim and Louis are running them close...

@bentwing

• Profile Photo

Close indeed!

• Profile Photo

Now the pressures really on!

• Profile Photo
    David Mills said 5 years, 6 months ago:

Corsairs are always a good choice Robert!

• Profile Photo
    Louis Gardner said 5 years, 6 months ago:

Now you are talking ! You got my attention with this one... I have a lot of information and photos on Corsairs, so if you need a little help please don't hesitate to ask. This was my favorite TV show as a child, since it has my favorite plane in it, so for me it's a great choice.

Here's a picture of one of Harry Doan's F4U's that I took back in the 1970's when this TV show was very popular. This particular F4U is an early F4U-1 and currently resides in South America in a museum.

If you look close, you can see Harry's heavy lift helicopters in the back ground. If you look "REALLY" close, you can see another F4U in the back ground. It's right above the cockpit section of the plane in the foreground of this photo. Harry also owned "Race #57" at one time, which was a Goodyear F2G version.

There's more to the story, but I don't want to high jack your build. We can save that for another day.

You just made my day... 🙂 Heck, even my whole weekend.

• Profile Photo

Great to ‘see’ you Louis, and I agree, this is an important project in this group build that connects with a lot of our childhoods.

• Profile Photo

I want more! More from Robert and more from Louis! Not to mention Tom C, David L-s, Gary S, Travis P, John R and anyone else out there in Internet-Land who can add to a post about Corsairs, TV shows, Black Sheep Squadron (Real or Electronic), Harry Doan, Jim Sullivan's immense wealth of knowledge about F4Us, or ... well, you get the idea! C'mon keep this one alive!

• Profile Photo
    John Richards said 5 years, 6 months ago:

I am looking forward to seeing this Black Sheep Squadron build. That show was responsible for getting me into model building, because I fell in love with the Corsairs. I remember seeing a Corsair model kit display in a department store, while shopping with my Mom. I bought one along with some Testor's paints in the iconic little bottles, and a paint brush. After that I was hooked. Great memories! I rented the whole Black Sheep TV show series of DVDs from Netflix a few years ago to relive the excitement of watching the show as a young boy.

• Profile Photo

What's NOT to like about Corsairs?!?!

• Profile Photo

And in SPITE of the cheesy comedy and lack of authenticity (it WAS a show for entertainment, after all - not hysterical ... I mean, historical accuracy, it was very enjoyable! And it had some pretty good flying sequences.