Thank you gentlemen for the kind words and encouragement. Today I got a little bit more done on Brubaker’s Panther jet.
I took your thoughts and carefully considered the options. But in the end, I decided to cut away the fences and I scratch built a set using .010 thickness sheet styrene. This turned out to be a very good move. I don’t think that I could have filed these molded on kit parts to such a thin thickness and maintain an even appearance throughout. So off with the fences I went……….
I am very pleased with the surface finish on this one……… Today I did a little more primer and filler work. The I went over the whole airframe with 1500 grit wet or dry paper. The end result was even better than I had hoped for. I’ll definitely need to deploy the speed brakes and drop the flaps on final with this baby !!! Maybe even get some heat shields from an old Space Shuttle to help protect it from the excessive heat when it re enters the atmosphere !!! This bad boy is slick……………
Thanks for stopping by my friend. Please stay tuned for another installment. It’s coming up next !!! Take care buddy…………..
After looking at how nice your fence work turned out, and especially after studying the photos you provided, I decided that going this route would be best for me. I really don’t think it would have been possible for me to achieve a scale like thickness using a file. There would have been scratch marks to contend with, and even more sanding would have been required. Plus by removing the fences completely, it allowed me to take care of the leading edge and do some work on the intakes to smooth things out a little better there too.
So I took your ideas and ran with them.
Thank you !!!