The Bridges of Toko-Ri, Lieutenant Brubaker’s Panther jet, Revell F9F

Started by Louis Gardner · 133 · 3 years ago
  • Profile Photo
    Michael Paquette said 5 years, 6 months ago:

Coming along nicely. I'd like to get hold of this kit for my 1/48 Grumman cat collection.

• Profile Photo
    Allan J Withers said 5 years ago:

Hi Louis, just picked this up at a local opp shop, have yet to watch it, would have seen it on tv years ago !

2 attached images. Click to enlarge.

• Profile Photo
    Michael E Rieth said 5 years ago:

Great build so far.
    The Bridges at Toko-Ri won an Academy Award for Best Effects, Special Effects for the miniature flying sequences like the attack on the bridge.
    Tom Cleaver, the Furball decals I used on my Banshee say Cmr M. U. Beebe lol

• Profile Photo
    Louis Gardner said 5 years ago:

Thanks gentlemen for the kind words and compliments on this build so far.

As soon as I get the two 1/32 scale Mustangs off the work bench, I'll try to get this one done. I'm also working on the two F4U Corsairs... Since I'll be spraying the same overall top coat colors, I will try to have this one ready to paint at the same time.

Thanks again ! 🙂

• Profile Photo
    Tom Cleaver said 5 years ago:

For those who may be interested in the real story of "The Bridges at Toko-ri" (the novel is based on the six weeks James A Michener spent on USS Essex and USS Valley Forge October 1951-February 1952). the story is in my new book, "Holding The Line: The Naval Air Campaign in Korea."

(Spoiler alert: "Brubaker" and "Forney" were captured and survived POW camp, walking across the Freedom Bridge at Panmunjom six weeks after Paramount bought the rights to the novel and announced the movie.)

There actually was a reservist named Brubaker, who was a lawyer from Denver. LT Donald Brubaker, a Skyraider pilot in VF-154 aboard Essex.

• Profile Photo
    Louis Gardner said 4 years, 7 months ago:

Man has it really been 5 Months ? Where did the time go ?

Today was a rather busy day at the Iron Werks... I spent a lot of time painting wheels and propellers. Since this plane doesn't have a prop, the wheels were taken care of.

It won’t be too much longer now and I’ll knock the dust off this one and finish it up. Here’s how it looks at the moment.

Dusty...

As always,
    Comments are encouraged.

• Profile Photo
    Robert Royes said 4 years, 7 months ago:

Looks like the Cat's ready to pounce. Looking good, Louis.

• Profile Photo
    David Mills said 4 years, 7 months ago:

Coming together nicely Louis!

• Profile Photo
    Louis Gardner said 4 years, 6 months ago:

Thanks fellas for the compliments... @roofrat

@davem

Last night I added some filler in places that needed some attention. With this kit having a lot of warped parts, it took quite a bit. More than usual I think.

Today I concentrated on getting some more work done on the Cat.

• Profile Photo

I took some time and sanded down the filler that was applied to all of the seams and gaps last night. The entire nose seam was filled in and sanded smooth.

The underside took a lot of work too. I ended up spraying primer over the filler in several heavy coats. You can still see the filler in between the area of the main gear wells and the dive brakes.

I'm happy with how it's shaping up now, but there will be some more filler work done on the underside, and on one of the wingtip tanks.

I am going to be cutting the fences off. These look a bit too thick to me, and they also have a nasty seam running right through the middle. Once I cut them off I can work on the leading edge of the wing a little better and smooth it out more.

Then I'll end up making some new ones out of thinner sheet styrene. The whole plane will get wet sanded again, and another coat of primer applied. I want it nice and smooth before it gets sprayed in Glossy Sea Blue.

as always,
    Comments are encouraged.

• Profile Photo
    Tom Cleaver said 4 years, 6 months ago:

Looking good Louis. I've found with my Monogram Panthers it's possible with a sanding stick to sand those fences smooth and thin them a bit. It;s an easier way if you want to try it I know it works.

• Profile Photo
    Erik Gjørup said 4 years, 6 months ago:

Nice job on the nose and seams - this looks like it will become one smooth plane! Watch your airspeed on finals.

• Profile Photo
    Greg Kittinger said 4 years, 6 months ago:

Perking right along!

• Profile Photo
    Allan J Withers said 4 years, 6 months ago:

Hi Louis, I find making new fences from thin styrene sheet a good option !

2 attached images. Click to enlarge.

• Profile Photo

Thank you gentlemen for the kind words and encouragement. Today I got a little bit more done on Brubaker's Panther jet.

Tom, @tcinla
    I took your thoughts and carefully considered the options. But in the end, I decided to cut away the fences and I scratch built a set using .010 thickness sheet styrene. This turned out to be a very good move. I don't think that I could have filed these molded on kit parts to such a thin thickness and maintain an even appearance throughout. So off with the fences I went...

Erik, @airbum
    I am very pleased with the surface finish on this one... Today I did a little more primer and filler work. The I went over the whole airframe with 1500 grit wet or dry paper. The end result was even better than I had hoped for. I'll definitely need to deploy the speed brakes and drop the flaps on final with this baby ! Maybe even get some heat shields from an old Space Shuttle to help protect it from the excessive heat when it re enters the atmosphere ! This bad boy is slick...

Greg, @gkittinger

Thanks for stopping by my friend. Please stay tuned for another installment. It's coming up next ! Take care buddy...

Allan, @kalamazoo

After looking at how nice your fence work turned out, and especially after studying the photos you provided, I decided that going this route would be best for me. I really don't think it would have been possible for me to achieve a scale like thickness using a file. There would have been scratch marks to contend with, and even more sanding would have been required. Plus by removing the fences completely, it allowed me to take care of the leading edge and do some work on the intakes to smooth things out a little better there too.

So I took your ideas and ran with them.

Thank you !