Off with their fences !!!! I mean pitot heads !!! OK whatever………….
I did some online research today, and looked for a suitable photo to show an accurate profile of how the fences should look on a “Dash 5” Panther jet. I found this remarkable photo and enlarged it. Then I cropped the area I needed to use as a visual guide.
Next I used some .010 thickness sheet plastic, and cut out a single example. This was tweaked, and eventually it fit amazingly well. Now I had a pattern, so I used it to cut out another set. After these two were cut from the sheet plastic, I used some very fine sandpaper to detail them even more.
Eventually I was very happy with how they looked and fit…………
So I glued them in place.
From this front view, you can see just how thin these things are. This is true of the real ones too. They were excessively thin on the real plane. After all, extra thickness is drag. Drag reduced speed. Not good in a jet or any aircraft for that matter. These things look like razors………..
1. Frontal view of the new fence
2. Notice how thin it is.
They look pretty good and are about scale as per my Mk 1 eyeball.
The seams were given another coat of primer and wet sanded using 1500 grit wet paper. The end result was a glass like surface………….
I wanted to spray the aluminum plate color on first this time. It could be a mistake, but I’m rolling the dice with it. This is Metallizer “Aluminum Plate” from a rattle can. I sprayed the leading edges and the intakes. The wing root also received several coats. Tomorrow I’ll buff it out, then spray some Future Acrylic over the Aluminum color to seal it, and hopefully make it a stronger surface for taping.
My luck, it will pull off when I remove the tape. If it does, I’ll strip it off and spray the jet in overall Gloss Sea Blue and start over in a reverse proceedure.
Here you can see how much better it looks with the thinner more scale like fences. The intakes and leading edges also receive more work, and now they are nearly perfect. Good enough for me.
After I looked a little closer at this next picture, I decided to tweak the fence a little. It was not perfectly straight. Since the glue was still wet and had not set up, I was able to get these things laser straight.
Here’s how “Brubaker’s” Panther looks now………………
I’ll let it dry overnight, and go from there tomorrow.
As always, comments are encouraged.
Thanks for stopping by.