The Bridges of Toko-Ri, Lieutenant Brubaker’s Panther jet, Revell F9F

Started by Louis Gardner · 133 · 3 years ago
  • Profile Photo
    Michael E Rieth said 4 years, 2 months ago:

Nice save. I fight a daily battle with Murphy's Law on my models. There is no auto pilot with painting, lol

• Profile Photo
    Robert Royes said 4 years, 2 months ago:

A great save!

• Profile Photo
    Louis Gardner said 4 years, 2 months ago:

Hello Allan, @kalamazoo
    Thanks for the compliments my friend.

James, @jamesb
    There was a time when I was having my doubts about saving this kit. It seems to have fought me every step of the way, and hasn't been like an ordinary build so far.

Jaime, @jetmex
    I remember that ! You had yours done a whole lot faster than I have done with this one. Your Panther Jet looks fantastic I should also add.

I have had a few other kits underway as an excuse, but so have you ! Your models have been much larger is scale than mine have been, plus they actually fly... so I can't use this as an excuse now can I ? Thanks for checking in ...

Hello Michael, @mrieth
    Your comments are spot on my friend. Occasionally I have had a model fight me at one or two places during construction. But this one has been a headache from the very start. The plastic was warped and it took some "ingenuity" to get things straightened out. I modified the wing fences and ended up replacing them. That was easy compared to everything else. I added some "bird shot" shotgun pellets for nose weight, but the glue I used to hold the lead in place took forever to dry, and it kept leaking out of the nose openings where the .050 caliber ( or 20 MM I don't know for sure what type of weapons this had in the nose) barrels would normally protrude. It has been one fight after another. So far I haven't given up. I hope I can continue in this manner until I cross the finish line, and that it gets done on time. This painting fiasco was almost the straw that broke the camels back...

I am totally impressed with you scratch built "Aero" trailer by the way. I also have a few questions for you about laser cutting. When I get some spare time I'll shoot you a PM, if you don't mind.

Thanks for stopping by and I hope to hear from you again soon.

Hey Robert ! @roofrat
    Thanks for the compliments AND for starting the work in progress on your Dad's Dr-1 Triplane. I'm sure that he would be very happy that you decided to pick it up where he left off at. Take care buddy, and please keep us posted with your Tripe.

• Profile Photo

Greetings everyone.

Tonight isn't much progress, but I'll take it. While waiting for the overall Gloss Sea Blue to dry more thoroughly, I decided to paint the cockpit since the original paint was pretty much destroyed by the oven cleaner. I had expected that to happen, and in a brief flash of sanity, I had removed the seat prior to spraying on the oven cleaner. I have been using the stand to hold the plane stationary, and I haven't touched it with my hands. I want to let the paint dry completely before I even think about touching it. This will take a few days or so more before I feel comfortable with handling it.

Here's how it looks with some fresh paint in the office... and the seat out.

I decided to temporarily place the seat back in for photographic reasons only... as it is much easier to paint the details with the seat out. These next two pictures give you an idea how it will look once the seat has been permanently installed.

There are some more cockpit parts that need installation, (like the gun sight) and the side walls and IP will need some more detail painting.

While I was spraying the GSB, I decided to spray the canopy and windscreen, along with the dive brakes and landing gear doors.

But so far I am happy with how it's turning out. especially when I think about how horrible it looked a few days ago.

The more work I do on this one, the more I want to build up the Banshee in the stash... I also have several of the 1/48 scale Trumpeter F9F's that have been calling out to me as well. The Panther is such a beautiful plane... it really is.

These thoughts however will have to wait until we start the Korean War group build. I have several builds that I have been wanting to do for ages, and this will be the perfect opportunity.

Among these are Jesse Brown and Thomas Hudner's F4U's from the Chosin Reservoir, an F-84 that was flown by one of my Dad's childhood friends who was shot down and killed, then listed as MIA for decades until just recently. Then there's a few F-51 Mustangs, a Modelcraft F-82 ( because I'm a glutton for punishment), a F-80 or possibly two, and possibly even a Sabre jet (or two)... I definitely have two more MIG-15's and a Yak-9 coming down the assembly line as well...There might even be a few Sherman's, M-26 and M-46's, who knows ?

Hey we will have 3 years to do this stuff in ! So why not dream big ?

If I can get my hands on another 1/48 B-29 Superfortress, that one will be on the build list also.

Right now I have one in my stash with a set of decals for "Joltin Josie" and it will look great in Bare Metal Foil. But if I'm fortunate enough to score another one of these 1/48 scale B-29's, I will paint it with a black underside and Bare Metal Foil on the top side using the Korean War decals from my current B-29 kit.

I'm calling it an early night. As always, comments are encouraged.

Thanks for stopping by, and as you can tell, I'm getting amped up over this upcoming Korean War group build. The Japanese Group Build will also be a good one... I can feel it, and my gut instincts are almost always 100% correct.

• Profile Photo

Tonight was spent on finishing up the cockpit of the Panther Jet. I used a silver colored pencil and a toothpick to paint the details.

I also permanently added the seat and gun sight. The front windscreen was attached next...

The masking was carefully removed from the canopy...

and thanks to Jaime Carreon @jetmex

I used his trick and added the white to the inside of the canopy. Then I literally dunked the canopy into some "Future" and I'll let it dry overnight...

It's getting closer...

as always, comments are encouraged..

Thanks again Jaime @jetmex
    for the tip with the canopy... It worked like a charm.

• Profile Photo
    Michel Verschuere said 4 years, 2 months ago:

Looking great Louis!

• Profile Photo
    david leigh-smith said 4 years, 2 months ago:

Experiences like that airbrush disaster could break a lesser man. It is a terrible thing to have a creation that you have lovingly spent time, effort, and energy on...just fail before your eyes. Been there, done that, and not just in model building.

As noted, a great save, though. Anything that doesn’t kill you, huh. You bounced back a better modeller and we all get to learn from your posts. Should write a book, “Everything I Know in Life, I Learned from Modeling”.

Anyhow, a great build emerging, a project to be proud of, my friend.

• Profile Photo
    Erik Gjørup said 4 years, 2 months ago:

Phew. . .

• Profile Photo

Thanks for the compliments and kind words gentlemen.

David you just might be on to something there with the book idea ! I too have had other things happen in life exactly how you described. This might be more of a good project for you instead of me however. I think that you have more of a professional background with this

The canopy looks very nice now the Future has dried. I’m very happy with how it turned out.

Here I temporarily have placed it on the fuselage but it isn’t glued in position.

There’s still another part that has to be installed on the inside of the sliding canopy before it gets permanently installed.

As always comments are encouraged.

• Profile Photo
    Robert Royes said 4 years, 2 months ago:

Right out of the factory, nice!

• Profile Photo

Thanks Robert ! @roofrat

• Profile Photo

Last night I completed the canopy. I'll have to go back and take a few pictures of it. Once I do I will post them here.

I also sprayed the white tips on the tail surfaces.

I started out by masking off the entire plane. I wrapped the entire airframe to protect it from the white over spray. I have found from previous experience that dark blue or black is a magnet for getting any sort of over spray on them. It's very noticeable too when you are spraying a light color.

Somewhere under this mess is a 1/48 scale Panther jet...

This is how the Panther looked after I sprayed the tips white on the tail surfaces.

I carefully unwrapped the paper from the jet, and this shows the masking I did on the tail surfaces. It's almost like Christmas time unwrapping a present...

After more careful un masking, the tail surfaces look very nice...

Here's the Panther Jet as it looks now. Maybe tonight I will attempt the leading edge painting on the wings and intakes.

As always, comments are encouraged.

• Profile Photo

I like your masking overcompensation in covering a large area to paint a small area. It's amazing how overspray can end up in a spot that is nowhere near the place where you are spraying.

There are many ways to go about this and you want this done for the deadline and maybe you already know this. I find it is easier to spray paint dark over light. Spray the white first, mask and then the spray blue and you will have less paint build up at the edge. This is how I do prop tips, spray white, then yellow and then mask for the black.

• Profile Photo

Michael, @mrieth
    Thanks for the comments on the masking. I have had exactly what you are talking about happen to me before with overspray getting where it wasn't supposed to have. It seems to get everywhere you don't want it too. Since then I have tried to make sure it didn't happen again and that's why I take such extreme measures to prevent it from happening.

Originally I had painted the tips of the tail surfaces white, and the wing leading edges aluminum color first. I had these places masked off and ran into trouble when the first attempt to spray the plane went badly.

When I removed the awful mess with the GSB paint using oven cleaner, I damaged the areas that were previously painted... so I had to start all over again from scratch. This last time I went about it in a totally different manner. Just opposite of how I normally do things.

I agree it is easier to spray the lighter colors first. Most of the time I do that. I might try using some "Matt Aluminum" Bare Metal Foil on the leading edges of the wings and wing root areas in place of painting these spots.

Hopefully I can pull this off in time...

Thanks for the feedback and I hope to hear from you again soon.

• Profile Photo

I saw your photo sequence again on the previous page and how you did the painting silver, white, then blue. I figured the paint SNAFU and trying to get it done for the deadline was the reason for the different paint process. I thought I'd mention the "Dark over Light" if others didn't know.