The Bridges of Toko-Ri, Lieutenant Brubaker’s Panther jet, Revell F9F

Started by Louis Gardner · 133 · 3 years ago
  • Profile Photo
    John Healy said 4 years, 2 months ago:

Nice save, Louis. The internal canopy seal is a nice trick. The Panther is my favorite Monogram kit.

• Profile Photo
    Jaime Carreon said 4 years, 2 months ago:

Looking good, Louis! Feel your pain on the airbrush problems, seems to be a constant battle here because of the high humidity.

Canopy came out great, glad I was able to help a little on that one. For those who are wondering how that was done, here's the secret. RC modelers have been using a product called Monocote, manufactured by Top Flite, for years to cover airplanes with. It's a colored mylar, heat activated iron on material. Top Flite also makes self adhesive trim sheets to match the Monokote colors. So in this case, we used some white TF trim cut to proper width and length, stuck it on, Futured it and voila! Instant canopy framing! The sheets come in all the basic colors (white, red, blue, etc) and can be found at any good hobby shop that carries RC models or online.

• Profile Photo
    Louis Gardner said 4 years, 2 months ago:

Hello Mike, @mrieth

Thanks for commenting on how it's best to paint light colors first. I don't mind at all, since the main reason why I post these articles is to help someone else along the way. So by all means, please feel free to chime in at anytime, and I do sincerely mean this. Any knowledge about our hobby that is shared is good. It helps to build camaraderie, promotes our hobby and good will. Thank you very much !

• Profile Photo

John, @j-healy
    Thanks for the compliments on the save... I was worried there for a while. I have to give full credit to the canopy and the inner lines to Jaime. @jetmex

This kit has been fighting me every step of the way. It started out with the wings being warped. That caused fit problems at the joint along the fuselage under the plane. Then I had the paint fiasco.

But this is a beautiful plane... I wish it went together easier that's all. I'm sure that if my kit was not warped, it would have been a much more enjoyable build.

Thanks again for stopping by.

• Profile Photo

Hello again Jaime ! @jetmex
    Thanks again for the information on how to replicate the inner lines on the canopy. It's a neat trick, and I'm sure to use it again soon on some other builds as part of the upcoming Korean War group build.

Stay tuned for another update... I think you will like this one !

• Profile Photo

Last night I completed the masking on the Panther. Here's a little trick that I use occasionally when masking off large areas. I simply cover the location to be masked with aluminum foil... Here you can see how it looks. I used the foil on the nose and tail sections.

Once everything was properly covered, I sprayed on the aluminum paint. I'm happy to say this time no problems were encountered...

After I let things dry a little, I unmasked the jet. I am getting excited here... so far, so good.

Pushing the envelope and my luck, I decided to spray on some clear acrylic "Future". I sprayed it a little thicker than I usually do. I didn't dilute it as much with rubbing alcohol as I typically do. I wanted it to really shine, so I rolled the dice... I will have to see how it looks in the morning.

Stand by for part 2...

• Profile Photo

This morning when I checked on the Panther, I was pleasantly surprised !
    Finally something went right for this build...

I zoomed in a little to show how nice and shiny this one turned out.

The windshield looks crystal clear, better than before. Tis was an unexpected bonus.

Hopefully tonight I can apply the decals.

Getting closer !
    As always, comments are encouraged.

• Profile Photo
    James B Robinson said 4 years, 2 months ago:

Wow, that really does look good!

• Profile Photo
    Jaime Carreon said 4 years, 2 months ago:

Still looking good Louis! It always seems to work out that when we have nice days here, I never have anything ready to paint. And in my case, the garage (also known as "the paint shop") is climate controlled - the climate outside controls the climate inside!

• Profile Photo

Thanks James ! @jamesb
    I hope that I have turned the last corner and that I'm in the home stretch...

• Profile Photo

Jaime @jetmex
    I think we have the same paint shop arrangements ! Luckily for me today was a good day with the climate controls... Stand by for another installment... I think you will like what you see next.

• Profile Photo

Tonight I added the larger decals for Brubaker's plane.

I used several still photos that were taken by pausing the movie when it came to a place where the Panther jet was in focus for a specific part of the airframe. This helped a lot, and I noticed a few small discrepancies with decal placement, when comparing the kit instructions and the various planes that were used in the movie.

Some of the bureau numbers were located in different places, as were the location of the "NAVY" and VF-192 markings. These were located in different stations or fuselage bulkheads on the various planes and models.

The movie has several planes (and possibly a few models) that are marked as Brubaker's #209. The markings are a little different on each one.

I still have to apply the smaller stencils. There are quite a few of them !

The canopy is completed now. It has a wrap around style decal that shows the enclosure release.

I also added the #9 decal to the main landing gear outer door.

I'll have to go back and do a little touch up work with the decals, as some of them have a little bit of silvering. I'll take care of this now before the planes gets another coat of clear acrylic. I noticed in these close up photos, (after I posted them), that some of the edges of a few decals are lifted a little.

I also have a lot of lint on the model from pressing the decals down with a warm moistened paper towel.

If things go well tomorrow, I'll try to add the smaller stencils and give it another coat of Future acrylic clear.

It's getting really close to being done now.

As always, comments are encouraged.

• Profile Photo
    James B Robinson said 4 years, 2 months ago:

Good advice Michael @mrieth. I've found a program that is great for screen grabs, Greenshot. It is a free application and creates higher resolution images than MS Snipping tool. You can get it here: https://getgreenshot.org/

• Profile Photo
    Michael E Rieth said 4 years, 2 months ago:

Thanks, I'll check it out for the laptop without PS Elements.

• Profile Photo
    david leigh-smith said 4 years, 2 months ago:

As always, all comments are complimentary.

That colour is nailed in gorgeous; a great match and shine - and such a terrific contrast with the white.

This project has fought (and taught) you all the way, Louis. But, as the great man Nietzsche said, “that which doesn’t kill us makes us a better modeler” (or something like that).

Looking forward to seeing the ‘reveal’ -

If the stencilling doesn’t drive you crazy...

@lgardner